Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I have a 1.8 GHz SP Rev A. G5 (I know I got screwed)...

Anyways, the fans inside have been making this weird oscillating noise. Basically when it's idle the fan makes a normal sound, but gets quite every seconds. The fact that the sound isn't constant is starting to give me a headache. Do you think this is something I could get fixed under applecare?

Second, every once in awhile the speakers make a beeping sound... I'm thinking it has something to do with the powersupply for some reason...

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I'm pretty sure these are known issues (power supply problems ring a bell) so I'm certain it can be fixed under warranty.

I don't think you got screwed getting a Rev A 1.8GHz - I thought these are superior in some ways to the later lower-spec machines (e.g. PCI-X etc.)? Or do you mean when they replaced it with the dual 1.8? Hardware will always get updated so you pays yer money...!

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2003
drlunanerd said:
I'm pretty sure these are known issues (power supply problems ring a bell) so I'm certain it can be fixed under warranty.

I don't think you got screwed getting a Rev A 1.8GHz - I thought these are superior in some ways to the later lower-spec machines (e.g. PCI-X etc.)? Or do you mean when they replaced it with the dual 1.8? Hardware will always get updated so you pays yer money...!

Thanks for the response. I meant I got screwed since they kept the SP 1.8 model out for 10 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.