PDA

View Full Version : 11.6 inch: Poor Battery Life.

cidf2008
Dec 8, 2010, 05:14 AM
Hello everyone,

I've bought my 11.6 inch MacBook Air a few weeks ago and I am really unsatisfied with the battery life I get.

The reviews I read before I made the the purchase claimed that the battery life in basic usage like web browsing or watching videos was even higher than apples claimed 5 hours.

I've tested my MacBook Air's battery and it lasts about 3.3 hours during video playback with wifi and bluetooth turned off and no USB devices attached to it.

I've got the 128gb 1.86ghz model with 4 gb of ram.

If you own an 11.6 inch MacBook Air how much battery life do you get?

Is this a case for the Apple Support?

Thanks in advance

acron1
Dec 8, 2010, 05:41 AM
Playing videos DOES decrease battery life quite a bit... are u using flash?
On my 11" ultimate I do get just a bit over 5 hours web browsing (with some flash), MS Word, email, some iTunes and some Skype.
BTW... the 11" doesn't come with the 1.86 ghz CPU, 1.6 ghz is max.

Chundles
Dec 8, 2010, 05:41 AM
Video playback is taxing the processor, graphics card, SSD and you've probably got the screen on full brightness. 3.3 hours is pretty good.

Apple's battery test is: screen at 50% brightness, WiFi on, Bluetooth off, surfing basic websites and doing word processing. Then you get 5+ hours.

cidf2008
Dec 8, 2010, 06:00 AM
1.6 ghz is maximum
You're right that's what I wanted to say.

I am playing an avi file with 3 bars left to full brightness so no Flash and no full brightness.

Video playback is taxing the processor, graphics card, SSD and you've probably got the screen on full brightness. 3.3 hours is pretty good.

Apple's battery test is: screen at 50% brightness, WiFi on, Bluetooth off, surfing basic websites and doing word processing. Then you get 5+ hours.

Didn't Steve Jobs say on Stage that they had heavier tests now? what did they have before that.

gonzaload1987
Dec 8, 2010, 06:07 AM
Hello everyone,

I've bought my 11.6 inch MacBook Air a few weeks ago and I am really unsatisfied with the battery life I get.

The reviews I read before I made the the purchase claimed that the battery life in basic usage like web browsing or watching videos was even higher than apples claimed 5 hours.

I've tested my MacBook Air's battery and it lasts about 3.3 hours during video playback with wifi and bluetooth turned off and no USB devices attached to it.

Thanks in advance

Why don't you try to calibrate the battery? Several users claimed that the battery's life has improved considerably since that :)

poobear
Dec 8, 2010, 06:38 AM
3.3 hours during video playback [...] with 3 bars left to full brightness
This is not poor battery life for the 11", at all.

63dot
Dec 8, 2010, 07:07 AM
3.3 isn't bad, but it's not that good by today's standard, and not good by Apple's standard.

If anything, this is a great justification for an Intel Core i3 for the MBA. Not only would you get a faster computer (but only slightly though), but one with much better battery time which is the key to the Core i3.

dmelgar
Dec 8, 2010, 07:12 AM
You're right that's what I wanted to say.

I am playing an avi file with 3 bars left to full brightness so no Flash and no full brightness.

Didn't Steve Jobs say on Stage that they had heavier tests now? what did they have before that.

MBA is very power efficient to get the battery life that it does. It completely depends on the type of video and what you're using to play it. If the graphics processor ends up being used to play the video, it will generally play very smoothly with very little CPU power used and therefore excellent battery life. If the program used to play the video uses the CPU to decode and play the video, battery life can ba abysmal. Over 3 hours is actually very good for watching video. That isn't light use.

You can check CPU utilization in Activity Monitor. Often, videos played with Quicktime player will have low CPU usage. VLC does not support GPU acceleration on Macs and will have higher CPU demands. Flash in practice is often still worse even though they claim GPU acceleration. Silverlight, used by Netflix is worse still as it doesn't pretend to use GPU acceleration. Perian plugin plays through Quicktime but also has high CPU utilization.

I've gotten 9 hours of battery life while browsing (no flash, no video), and simple editing with the display set on minimum (plenty for me at the time). I can make the battery drain in less than 2 hours if I tax the system.

GGJstudios
Dec 8, 2010, 09:35 AM
Why don't you try to calibrate the battery? Several users claimed that the battery's life has improved considerably since that :)
Calibration does not have an effect on your battery's life. It only makes the reporting of your battery condition more accurate.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

jamesryanbell
Dec 8, 2010, 12:21 PM

How do you do that?

GGJstudios
Dec 8, 2010, 12:28 PM
How do you do that?
Read the link I just posted.

halledise
Dec 8, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance

#1 calibrate battery. = full discharge (to sleep) then full charge.

#2 set energy saver to defaults

#3 install FlashPlayer and then ClickToFlash

you will experience much better run in between charges - esp if you don't leave your Air 'on charge' after it's fully charged, but use the battery as intended.
I'm currently getting 7+ hours between charges for run-of-the-mill stuff and can go 5 hours watching movies (either on the Air or tethered to Sony lcd tv)

by all means call Apple support to reassure yourself

GGJstudios
Dec 8, 2010, 01:41 PM
There's more to calibrating than that. Read the link I posted for the correct procedure.

dmelgar
Dec 8, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'm currently getting 7+ hours between charges for run-of-the-mill stuff and can go 5 hours watching movies (either on the Air or tethered to Sony lcd tv)

by all means call Apple support to reassure yourself
You get 5 hours watching videos on an 11" MBA??? Or is it a 13" MBA. The 11" is only rated for 5 hours and watching videos is typically heavy use.

GGJstudios
Dec 8, 2010, 02:46 PM
You get 5 hours watching videos on an 11" MBA??? Or is it a 13" MBA. The 11" is only rated for 5 hours and watching videos is typically heavy use.
halledise has the 13"

Hankster
Dec 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
Any video play lowers battery life. It's the same as if you were using PhotoShop or iMovie. The programs you run determine how much battery is used.

hcho3
Dec 8, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance
I really don't believe you...

How do you have a 11.6 inch MBA with those specs?

Current MBA 11.6 inch gets 1.6 GHZ at top. That processor is not possible on 11.6 inch at all. LIES!

hcho3
Dec 8, 2010, 09:10 PM
This is why I didn't go for 11.6 inch. As soon as I heard 5 hours at the keynote, FACE PALM!
MBP and MBA get 7 hours easily. No thanks apple. I will wait for next update. It won't be too long before they update with 7 hours of battery life on 11 inch.

teski
Dec 8, 2010, 10:19 PM
I really don't believe you...

How do you have a 11.6 inch MBA with those specs?

Current MBA 11.6 inch gets 1.6 GHZ at top. That processor is not possible on 11.6 inch at all. LIES!

Chill out.....Seriously. The OP corrected his/her post further down the line.

thelookingglass
Dec 9, 2010, 01:39 AM
This is why I didn't go for 11.6 inch. As soon as I heard 5 hours at the keynote, FACE PALM!
MBP and MBA get 7 hours easily. No thanks apple. I will wait for next update. It won't be too long before they update with 7 hours of battery life on 11 inch.

And when would you ever be more than five hours away from a plug (aside from an overseas flight)? I'm not saying it's ideal, but it's certainly plenty to get by on in most situations.

halledise
Dec 9, 2010, 04:48 AM
There's more to calibrating than that. Read the link I posted for the correct procedure.

sheesh, talk about picky :rolleyes:

for the sake of political/technical correctness, perhaps I should've added>

• then allow to sleep over night

• when the morning comes, upon reconnecting power cable, wake the sucker up then turn it off, then allow to charge uninterrupted for at least 8 hours before restarting and once more using normally.

(we have after all moved beyond PPC and Intels with old-school batteries, thus a simple discharge and recharge thru normal use as suggested by Apple should be sufficient)

RichyB
Dec 9, 2010, 08:02 AM
Just got my 13.3 yesterday morning, did a full charge and I'm struggling to get the battery to go down to let it sleep for 5 hours for battery calibration. Even now its showing 1:13 / 16% remaining however just then it went back to 1:20 lol.

GGJstudios
Dec 9, 2010, 10:20 AM
sheesh, talk about picky
It's not about being "picky". It's about being accurate and factual. Simply draining and recharging the battery is NOT calibrating.

• when the morning comes, upon reconnecting power cable, wake the sucker up then turn it off, then allow to charge uninterrupted for at least 8 hours before restarting and once more using normally.
(we have after all moved beyond PPC and Intels with old-school batteries, thus a simple discharge and recharge thru normal use as suggested by Apple should be sufficient)
That isn't the correct procedure, either. Rather than make up your own steps and mislead people, just follow Apple's procedure for calibrating (which also applies to the current built-in batteries... not just "old-school" batteries), as listed in the link I posted. There are already too many people who misunderstand the procedure, without people posting wrong info.
Just got my 13.3 yesterday morning, did a full charge and I'm struggling to get the battery to go down to let it sleep for 5 hours for battery calibration. Even now its showing 1:13 / 16% remaining however just then it went back to 1:20 lol.
Your indicated time/percentage remaining is only an estimate, based on the current demands on your battery. As you open and close apps, play video, visit websites with flash, etc., your power demands fluctuate, so the estimate will fluctuate, as well. Put a DVD in the optical drive and let the movie play while you run other apps, play YouTube videos, etc. It will eventually drain. Read the link I posted for a tip on how to keep it from going to sleep prematurely.

halledise
Dec 9, 2010, 12:30 PM
It's not about being "picky". It's about being accurate and factual. Simply draining and recharging the battery is NOT calibrating.

That isn't the correct procedure, either. Rather than make up your own steps and mislead people, just follow Apple's procedure for calibrating (which also applies to the current built-in batteries... not just "old-school" batteries), as listed in the link I posted. There are already too many people who misunderstand the procedure, without people posting wrong info.

Your indicated time/percentage remaining is only an estimate, based on the current demands on your battery. As you open and close apps, play video, visit websites with flash, etc., your power demands fluctuate, so the estimate will fluctuate, as well. Put a DVD in the optical drive and let the movie play while you run other apps, play YouTube videos, etc. It will eventually drain. Read the link I posted for a tip on how to keep it from going to sleep prematurely.

:p

potentpotable
Dec 9, 2010, 02:07 PM
I typically get 5-6 hours during "student" usage - 50-75% brightness, MS word, browsing car blogs and stuff. It lasts me two lectures with a bit to spare, and I can go home and recharge.

I don't bother watching videos on battery, it won't last. That said, 3.3 hours is pretty impressive by my standards. And I don't game on battery because I heard it's detrimental.

GGJstudios
Dec 9, 2010, 02:08 PM
:p
Quite mature! Just what I expected. :rolleyes:

halledise
Dec 9, 2010, 04:31 PM

here you go 'sir' - just to refute your picky claims of making up my own steps to mislead people - this direct from Apple's website:

PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), MacBook (all models), MacBook Pro (all models), MacBook Pro (17-inch) (all models) and MacBook Air
The battery calibration for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and any model of MacBook or MacBook Pro has been updated because of a new battery released with this computer. With these computers, follow these steps to calibrate your battery:

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
3. Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.
4. At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.
5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

check your own facts first sunshine, before patronising others :D

GGJstudios
Dec 9, 2010, 04:56 PM
here you go 'sir' - just to refute your picky claims of making up my own steps to mislead people
You've proven my point exactly!
this direct from Apple's website:
1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.
3. Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.
4. At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.
5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.
This older article leaves out the current information:
You can use your computer during this time.
That is basically the correct procedure, as shown in the link I posted, except you quoted from an older article (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490) that doesn't include all the information that appears in the newer article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/9036.html). Those steps differ greatly from the procedure you posted:
You left out most of the meaningful steps.
perhaps I should've added>
It says nothing about overnight; only 5 hours or more.
This is completely false. See the bold text in step #6 in the above procedure.
check your own facts first sunshine, before patronising others :D
You might try learning some facts, before you mislead others with wrong information.

wirelessmacuser
Dec 9, 2010, 05:07 PM
Having followed Apples battery maintenance / calibration protocol precisely, I'm getting excellent battery run times. I'd quote what I'm getting but it would be challenged by those who are here to argue. Suffice to say, that if you are unhappy with yours, I seriously doubt there's another laptop that would please you. Apple has done a superb job with this model... :)

mrmister
Dec 9, 2010, 05:14 PM
I use CoolBook, and it increases my battery runtime by more than an hour.

tim100
Dec 10, 2010, 11:04 AM
i installed flash on my mba and have noticed much worse battery life even when not surfing web with flash.

GGJstudios
Dec 10, 2010, 11:11 AM
i installed flash on my mba and have noticed much worse battery life even when not surfing web with flash.
Simply having flash installed doesn't put a demand on system resources or power. Only when flash is playing does it drain a battery faster.

tim100
Dec 10, 2010, 11:18 AM
Simply having flash installed doesn't put a demand on system resources or power. Only when flash is playing does it drain a battery faster.

check out this link
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/04/having-flash-installed-on-your-macbook-can-reduce-battery-runtim/

GGJstudios
Dec 10, 2010, 11:27 AM
check out this link
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/04/having-flash-installed-on-your-macbook-can-reduce-battery-runtim/
From that article:
Besides uninstalling Flash completely from your machine, there are a number of Safari extensions that allow you to disable or enable Flash with a click.
You can disable it without uninstalling it and get the same effect.

tim100
Dec 10, 2010, 11:32 AM
From that article:

You can disable it without uninstalling it and get the same effect.

how can you do that?

GGJstudios
Dec 10, 2010, 11:44 AM
how can you do that?
Did you click the link in the article?

Mac_Max
Dec 10, 2010, 12:02 PM
Anyways... back on topic...

One thing no one has asked is what resolution is the AVI you're playing? Also what encoding is it? In my experience anything above DVD resolution will tend to drain batteries seemingly disproportionately. Also some formats encapsulated by the AVI file (remember that AVI is a container and not a format) can cause CPU usage to increase.

3.3 hours is pretty good for video. I remember getting 6 hours while taking notes on my iBook G3 by setting the brightness to minimum (worked fine in dimly lit auditoriums where I had a couple classes in college), 3 hours doing real surfing and maybe 3 hours with a DVD playing.... all with the brightness pretty low. Increasing the brightness to 3 from max would cut battery life by at least an hour and MPEG4 video kinda sucked the life away as well.

Just my 2.