Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rinseout

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Having purchased a new iBook 12" and a 1 Gig stick from CanadaRAM.com, I want to say:

1. The CanadaRAM.com service is very fast, and Trevor is a good guy to do business with and was helpful. Their prices are great, and I encourage anybody in the market to give CanadaRAM a try for memory.

2. The iBook 12", in spite of some early trouble related to my not seating the memory properly, and then my not re-connecting the antenna properly, exceeds my expectations. I haven't yet experienced a shred of buyer's remorse. Of course, one needs to spend about a day getting things installed and the work and build environments set up to however you're accustomed, but after a day my iBook is an exquisite machine to do scientific software development on, paper writing, and other sundry tasks. The alternative was an i386 laptop with linux, and it is not unheard of for it to take considerably longer than a day to get a Linux laptop useable, and you have to deal with that some features may never be fully supported in linux. Actually the set up of the iBook could take less than a day if you don't want to fiddle with recompiling freetype and other libraries for better performance (some OS X built-in libraries are not fully patched and/or are out-of-date).

Anyway, anybody considering a linux laptop should seriously consider the 12" iBook and additional memory from CanadaRAM. I'm glad I did.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.