Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
I'm looking at buying an MBA to replace my current rev D MB - there's nothing wrong with it, necessarily (I've become adjusted to the audio out red light of doom)

I don't really do anything more intensive than occasional Handbrake conversions and sometimes work in Flash, so I know that these would be suited to my needs.

Having said all of that - do any of you guys use the 11" as a primary computer? My roommate uses an Asus eeePC as her only computer, and I don't know how she functions on such a tiny screen.

If I settle on the 13", it seems that I might as well buy an MBP, but if I get an MBP, I don't want a C2D (just for future use), so I might as well buy a 15", and before I know it, I've dropped $2k on a laptop.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
The 13 is best as a primary, and a lot of us made the move from 15" MBPs to 13" MBAs... the 15" is a mega brick in comparison! Of course the 15" will do Handbrake faster without a doubt.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Have you seen them both in person? I would do that before deciding. Maybe the 11" is big enough for you, you never know. However, I would go with 13" as I find 11" to be too small to be comfortable. It's great if you need A LOT portability but in case you don't, you'll be happier with 13" due to the extra screen estate

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My 11.6 functions fine as my primary machine. My needs are simple.

chaoticbear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
I got a chance to play with the 11" in person, but Best Buy doesn't have a floor model of the 13". The 11" did seem small, but I know that people can get used to all sorts of things.

I don't require ultimate portability - I really could get away with a new Macbook, but cannot handle having another white plastic object. I have wrecked this one beyond belief, and I think the combination of metal+wrap+sleeve will do wonders for me not tearing it up.

Further question though - I already have an external optical drive, but it is powered with two side-by-side USB plugs. Can the MBA handle this if I use an extension cord to reach the one on the opposite side? (you know, for the twice in the last year that I've needed one...)

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I'd agree with your original comments. The 13 isn't much more portable than a 13" MBP. Depends on what you're comfortable with.

I'm using the 11 as my primary and only machine, and I consider myself a relatively heavy user. It does seek smaller, cramped compared to the 13" MBP I moved from, but it's immensely more portable. Interesting to see how powerful is it. I guess I didn't need the powerful CPU for most things. SSD and GPU speed more than make up the difference making the machine seem faster.

crazyyankeefan

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Albany, NY
I also have the 11-in one as my primary computer. Other than the screen being kinda small, the computer itself is powerful enough to handle pretty much everything you need on daily basis. The only problem you'll ever have to deal with is that using Word and Excel on a 11-in MBA is kinda torture:cool:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'd agree with your original comments. The 13 isn't much more portable than a 13" MBP.

I disagree with that. The 13" MacBook Air can fit into the document pocket of a typical notebook case. The 13" MacBook Pro won't. Plus, the Pro weighs 1.5 pounds (or 50%) more.

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
May 12, 2005
I used to use a 15 Inch Macbook Pro as my main machine, and I do have a Gaming PC desktop which I only use for gaming.

Since November I switched to the Macbook Air 11 inch, and man, this is very very sweet.

At first I thought I might feel cramped up with an 11 inch screen and when I transitioned, I did feell slightly cramped, but only becauase I was using the 15 inch and 11 inch side by side. Once I sold my 15 Inch, I feel that 11 inch is really excellent and I use it as my main computer to do everything in.

I run VMWARE fusion and everything have numerous windows open and the macbook air handles it with ease.

I have a 24 inch monitor hooked up to the Mini and PC but I dont even use them unless for Movies or Games.

11inch is the way to go!

lembowski

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
I really wanted the 11.6 but after using both and weighing the options the 13.3 ended up having the better value to me. Both machines were comfortable to work on, it just ended up that I got more for the money with the 13.3 and that's that :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.