PDA

View Full Version : Securing the MBA (no Kensington lock)

vd0t
Dec 8, 2010, 12:18 PM
Is there a solution to this problem? I am planning to use my MBA at work and it requires me, at some times during the day, to leave my notebook unattended while I go off and do other tasks. Unfortunately, I don't have my own office and I share a work area with other people. Any suggestions?

Previously, I just used a Kensington lock to secure my MBP.

Alvi
Dec 8, 2010, 12:29 PM
Isn't it thin and light enough to take it with you?

vd0t
Dec 8, 2010, 12:32 PM
It's not quite practical to do that unfortunately. Part of my work requires me to perform tasks in a lab, and I have to leave the office to do that. I can't take my MBA with me.

And for example, if I head to the lunchroom during lunch, I don't want to have to carry the MBA with me!

macgrl
Dec 8, 2010, 12:34 PM
I am considering getting a mba and this is a potential issue for me too. I don't want to have to carry my mba to the bathroom etc when I am in the library.

Apple OC
Dec 8, 2010, 12:45 PM
Find a case that you can lock to your desk:cool:

macgrl
Dec 8, 2010, 12:56 PM

Excellent idea. Does such a thing exist? :)

iPhysicist
Dec 8, 2010, 12:56 PM
MBP then, locking down equipment is important, not only because of the value of the device itself but because of the research data you lose.

macgrl
Dec 8, 2010, 12:59 PM
I agree. It looks like I will have to stick with my MBP, its a pity as it is quite heavy to lump around. Better than getting an air stolen though

Apple OC
Dec 8, 2010, 01:04 PM
I agree. It looks like I will have to stick with my MBP, its a pity as it is quite heavy to lump around. Better than getting an air stolen though

here is just one I found with a quick search ... I am sure if you shop around though, there must be others

http://www.pssl.com/!v!CP-SXJRIJ85o6c4uE69Q!/Vaultz-VZ01216-Locking-Dj-Laptop-Case-Black

macgrl
Dec 8, 2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for that.

vd0t
Dec 8, 2010, 02:10 PM
I was looking for a cheaper solution.. I just need a slight deterrence. I just don't someone to be able to pickup my MBA and leave. Maybe some sort of modified Kensington lock solution. I saw someone selling something like that (a metal piece that you put on the hinge) on eBay but it obscures the screen a bit, and that's a deal breaker.

MacBook08
Dec 8, 2010, 02:14 PM
I found this:

$30

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11511556&highlight=#post11511556

Caem
Dec 8, 2010, 03:01 PM
Or this if you want something secure thats waterproof, uncrushable and don't care about the cost.

http://www.pelican.com/

http://www.carryitcases.com.au/assets/full/1495CC1.jpg

Pelican: Pelican Products 1495CC1 Deluxe Notebook Computer Case (http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1495CC1)

Amazon: PELICAN-1495-Deluxe-Computer-Case (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZKEZK)

crazyyankeefan
Dec 8, 2010, 03:23 PM
It's not quite practical to do that unfortunately. Part of my work requires me to perform tasks in a lab, and I have to leave the office to do that. I can't take my MBA with me.

And for example, if I head to the lunchroom during lunch, I don't want to have to carry the MBA with me!

I do lab work too. I think the only way you can do this is probably just asking your labmates to watch it for you, or just don't bring it to work. But that would kinda defeat the purpose of having a laptop this portable

BeyondtheTech
Dec 8, 2010, 03:32 PM
I know this is extreme, but anyone tried removing the bottom cover of the Air and punching through or using some sort of epoxy to attach a lock or other securing mechanism?

vd0t
Dec 8, 2010, 03:35 PM
How does Apple secure their MBAs in their stores? Anyone know? Maybe we can use a similar method...

rebby
Dec 8, 2010, 03:46 PM
I know this is extreme, but anyone tried removing the bottom cover of the Air and punching through or using some sort of epoxy to attach a lock or other securing mechanism?

On that line... You could use something like this ->

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K64615US-Desktop-Computer-Peripherals/dp/B0036Z9TNU

It would require putting a big adhesive adapter plate on the MBA though. :(

superflush
Dec 8, 2010, 03:49 PM

That's a good idea. Any case that has sturdy zippers that can be locked together (and then around the desk) could work.

How does Apple secure their MBAs in their stores? Anyone know? Maybe we can use a similar method...

Good question. I'm sure they have the kind of solution where there is something glued onto the MBA. They probably also have a motion sensing alarm.

Lifequest
Dec 8, 2010, 04:02 PM
Are there a lot of people around?

I just use iAlertU app/program.

It's a nifty little security lock that when activated- a "disturbed" MBA will squeal like a car alarm, take a snap shot photo with the facetime camera and forward the photo to your email.

Handy as i'm sure you can recognize every face in your shared environment.

Disturbance can be sent to:
- Any key stroke
- Touch pad activation
- Removal of a USB
- Disconnection of charger cord.

The last is most useful as I assume the snatcher will have to disconnect the charger somehow- making the MBA squeal at full volume. Kind of embarrassing to run away with a squeal laptop IMO.

Good iAlertU.
Free.

vd0t
Dec 8, 2010, 04:09 PM

It's a nifty little security lock that when activated- a "disturbed" MBA will squeal like a car alarm, take a snap shot photo with the facetime camera and forward the photo to your email.

- Any key stroke
- Touch pad activation
- Removal of a USB

The last is most useful as I assume the snatcher will have to disconnect the charger somehow- making the MBA squeal at full volume. Kind of embarrassing to run away with a squeal laptop IMO.

Good iAlertU.
Free.

Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a good program to install for those situations. But still, I would prefer to have something physical attached to my laptop...

Pete A
Dec 8, 2010, 04:24 PM
Lock it in a desk drawer or filing cabinet?

Hide it in a folder? If the people who see you hide it can't be trusted, you have my sympathy. (Terrible place to work.)

magbarn
Dec 8, 2010, 05:03 PM

I believe they use an alarm that's attached to the USB port which will squeal if disconnected.

elithrar
Dec 8, 2010, 05:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or if you have lockable draws, just drop it in them. It's not like you'll be waiting for it to wake up from sleep everytime you get back ;)

vd0t
Dec 8, 2010, 05:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or if you have lockable draws, just drop it in them. It's not like you'll be waiting for it to wake up from sleep everytime you get back ;)

I see your point, but what if my computer is doing something (downloading, processing data, etc..)... it's still not a perfect solution.

brucem91
Dec 8, 2010, 06:05 PM
I see your point, but what if my computer is doing something (downloading, processing data, etc..)... it's still not a perfect solution.

Not if you download something like insomniax, which prevents the laptop from going to sleep when you close the lid.

Pete A
Dec 8, 2010, 06:09 PM
Put a sign on it saying:

THIS MACHINE IS SECURED WITH AN ALARM AND 6.7 MILLION VOLTS.
TOUCH IT AT YOUR PERIL.

Or something shorter and less literate, such as:

BEWARE OF ALARM

Pete A
Dec 8, 2010, 07:20 PM
Not if you download something like insomniax, which prevents the laptop from going to sleep when you close the lid.

This is a great suggestion, and especially appropriate for the MBA because you can toss it around while it's busy without worrying about damaging the hard drive. It doesn't have one.

When new technology comes along, people often require some time to discover its full implications. I'm used to thinking that my computer can either be working or it can be transported. Not true of the Air. It can do both simultaneously.

Do you need to go to class while downloading a movie for tonight? (Legally, of course.) No problem, if you have campus-wide wifi. Turn on InsomniaX, toss the Air in your bag, and go.

tom1971
Dec 11, 2010, 10:34 AM
I just ordered this (http://macbracket.com/photographies) for my MBA.
Not sure though what I will do when I buy the new MBA as this does not work for the new MBA :(

vd0t
Dec 11, 2010, 06:58 PM
I just ordered this (http://macbracket.com/photographies) for my MBA.
Not sure though what I will do when I buy the new MBA as this does not work for the new MBA :(

That would've been perfect... if it worked with the new MBA :(

KPOM
Dec 12, 2010, 06:52 AM
That would've been perfect... if it worked with the new MBA :(

I'm guessing that they will develop a version for the new MacBook Airs. The newer models are selling well.

FuNGi
Dec 12, 2010, 08:14 AM

- Any key stroke
- Touch pad activation
- Removal of a USB

Good iAlertU.
Free.

But as the MBA's have no sudden motion detector lifting a sleeping mac will not activate the alarm...

I think this is a good solution. Or slip it in a folder and slide it onto a shelf or another person's desk drawer to watch it while you're in the lab. I work in a lab too and often just hide the air.

eyespii
Jul 13, 2011, 01:11 AM
hate to revive an old thread, but is there any update on good locks that work with the new macbook airs?

brand
Jul 13, 2011, 11:35 AM
[SIZE=1]Or if you have lockable draws, just drop it in them.

Why would you want to put your computer inside the underwear of someone who's pants are hanging below their butt?

alexandero
Jul 13, 2011, 12:46 PM
hate to revive an old thread, but is there any update on good locks that work with the new macbook airs?

I'd be very interested in finding a solution too - hiding is an option, an alarm software as well, and I'd really hope the new MBAs have a Kensington lock. Without having to stick an ugly plate on the MBA.

Monkeyat
Jun 13, 2012, 01:48 PM
I'd like to refresh this topic as I've just bought a new Air 11". So, how can I secure it in a library or even inside my backpack when camping ? :confused: It's obvious that I need a closed lid solution !!!

Southernboyj
Jun 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
I'd like to refresh this topic as I've just bought a new Air 11". So, how can I secure it in a library or even inside my backpack when camping ? :confused: It's obvious that I need a closed lid solution !!!

You do realize you bumped a 2 year old thread.

Monkeyat
Jun 13, 2012, 02:43 PM
Yes, I know... but the problem persists after 2 years !!! Funny hein ???

jgc
Jun 13, 2012, 08:03 PM
This should work shouldn't it?

http://www.technalock.com/shop/product.php?productid=17166

It's a USB port security lock. I have no idea how effective they are but they can't be much different than a Kensington lock. Best Buy has white ones that they use to secure their MBAs in-store (there's a pic in a thread here somewhere, but not sure where).

SchuettS
Jun 13, 2012, 08:24 PM
This should work shouldn't it?

http://www.technalock.com/shop/product.php?productid=17166

It's a USB port security lock. I have no idea how effective they are but they can't be much different than a Kensington lock. Best Buy has white ones that they use to secure their MBAs in-store (there's a pic in a thread here somewhere, but not sure where).

It says it doesn't work w MacBook airs.

jgc
Jun 13, 2012, 09:21 PM
It says it doesn't work w MacBook airs.

Ah didn't pay close enough attention. Either way, Best Buy uses USB locks so something that works for the Air must exist somewhere.

wrinkster22
Jun 13, 2012, 09:24 PM
http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/macbook-air-lock.html

jsolares
Jun 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
Yes, I know... but the problem persists after 2 years !!! Funny hein ???

I think that http://macbracket.com/ actually has a solution now for the 2010-2011 models which should work with the 2012 one as well

tom1971
Jul 3, 2012, 01:26 AM
I think that http://macbracket.com/ actually has a solution now for the 2010-2011 models which should work with the 2012 one as well

Confirmed via twitter
macbracket (@macBracket)
26.06.12 22:48
It is now confirmed that macBracket also works for the recently released 2012 MacBook Air models.

Barna Biro
Jul 3, 2012, 02:26 AM
Seriously, is it that bad that at work you have to hide and lock everything you have from your colleagues? If I were you, I'd just start looking for a different job...

spillproof
Jul 3, 2012, 03:33 AM
I've seen the macBracket (http://macbracket.com/) in action- it works well.

Seriously, is it that bad that at work you have to hide and lock everything you have from your colleagues? If I were you, I'd just start looking for a different job...

Seriously, the day you start trusting everyone is the day you'll end up naked on the street with nothing but your name.

Barna Biro
Jul 3, 2012, 04:14 AM
I've seen the macBracket (http://macbracket.com/) in action- it works well.

Seriously, the day you start trusting everyone is the day you'll end up naked on the street with nothing but your name.

What I said has nothing to do with "trusting everyone" it just has to to with the company... There must be some minimal security measures IN THE COMPANY. On the same idea, why doesn't everyone just steal the entire lab equipment and take it home and resell it to the competitors?

Or is every pipe, berzelius bottle, pencil, piece of paper tied with 5" thick chains to the walls? You people are just exaggerating... it's one thing to be afraid to leave your notebook in the open street without a lock... what's next? You'll start locking it at home too so that your wife / girlfriend / grandparent / parent doesn't run out the door with it ?! Jesus...

Just lock the stupid lab door if you leave somewhere... or if you still have colleagues inside who you really don't trust that much ( or you're just simply paranoid ), then honestly start look for a new job.

Comeagain?
Jul 3, 2012, 04:26 AM
This solution isn't limited to the circumstances outlined in the (many years old) originally post, mind you. Can you really be expected to leave a 1k+ computer lying around a public library?

Barna Biro
Jul 3, 2012, 05:01 AM
This solution isn't limited to the circumstances outlined in the (many years old) originally post, mind you. Can you really be expected to leave a 1k+ computer lying around a public library?

Who is talking about PUBLIC places? IT'S HIS OFFICE ( WORK ) the guy is afraid to leave his computer at... on his own bloody desk in his OFFICE ! Just bloody lock the stupid door before leaving the room / desk whatever... or try looking for a job where the people you're in the same room in each day don't steal your crap when you turn around for a second !

dyn
Jul 3, 2012, 06:58 AM
A couple of posts above you there is somebody who is talking about a public library and a camp site (the one bumping the 2 year old thread).

When camping things are very difficult to secure since everything is mobile. Best is not to take valuable items with you. You can put it in a secure suitcase and pin that one to the ground but this can easily be undone. They'll simply take the entire case with its contents.

In case of a public library I'd say that it is best to take the machine as well as all your other belongings with you. Go through books first then go sit somewhere to work. What would you do with things like your coat, your bag, pen(s), etc. to prevent them from being stolen? Taking them with you seems to be the best solution. You can't lock down your coat nor your bag nor your pen(s).

Btw, that macBracket is a complete waste of money. The installation guide serves as a perfect guide how to uninstall it and take the notebook. It is like putting a cable lock through the front wheel of your bicycle. The thief simply takes out the front wheel so he can take off with your bike. It should have consisted of 2 parts (2 brackets: one goes in at the top, one goes in at the bottom) that are locked together with some kind of (ordinary) lock. That way it is not easily removed and it still does what you need it to do.

Barna Biro
Jul 3, 2012, 07:07 AM
My bad then... sorry, I only saw someone talking about working in a lab and being scared to leave his notebook there while he goes to the toiled...

dona83
Jul 3, 2012, 08:58 AM
I never lock up my laptop at the office. I'll hide it when everyone's in a meeting since it'd be easy for someone to walk in and grab it but other than that I don't bother.

Barna Biro
Jul 3, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hah, you people must be really working in a crappy environment...
Especially with extremely crappy colleagues...

jsolares
Jul 3, 2012, 12:24 PM
My bad then... sorry, I only saw someone talking about working in a lab and being scared to leave his notebook there while he goes to the toiled...

maybe college lab.

Truth is you can't really be sure who goes in/out where your cubicle is (if you don't have an office, or have a common workspace), not all companies have high security where everything gets searched going in/out.

Barna Biro
Jul 3, 2012, 06:32 PM
maybe college lab.

Truth is you can't really be sure who goes in/out where your cubicle is (if you don't have an office, or have a common workspace), not all companies have high security where everything gets searched going in/out.

Sure, and the people you work with on a daily basis, most likely they also sit close to your desk and maybe some you even call "friend" would just sit around and ignore if some random person would show up and walk away with stuff from your desk while you're at the toilet to take a leak...

What's with this mass paranoia around here?
Whatever, everyone do as he pleases...

lawls88
Jul 3, 2012, 07:39 PM
Hah, you people must be really working in a crappy environment...
Especially with extremely crappy colleagues...

My father works at a very good company that operates around the world and his MBP was stolen off of his desk. He has customers, and suppliers and other people in and out of the office all day and security isn't going to question everyone walking around with a laptop. stuff happens, and begging prepared doesn't hurt.

jsolares
Jul 3, 2012, 10:42 PM
Sure, and the people you work with on a daily basis, most likely they also sit close to your desk and maybe some you even call "friend" would just sit around and ignore if some random person would show up and walk away with stuff from your desk while you're at the toilet to take a leak...

What's with this mass paranoia around here?
Whatever, everyone do as he pleases...

So you have time to look at whoever roams by any of your coworkers desks?

Barna Biro
Jul 4, 2012, 01:55 AM
So you have time to look at whoever roams by any of your coworkers desks?

Yes, because that's what a team and friends are about. We look out of each other's back. Also, around here a Mac is not really a luxury item... almost everyone has at least one.

Going to work each day with a quite serious fear ( almost like paranoia ) that you can be "robbed" anytime at office / at your desk is just sad in my opinion... Do you people also lock your food in a seif so that some random colleague doesn't steal it from you bag / desk and eat it before you do?

I don't think there is any need to discuss this more, I got your point, but all I can say is that the situation is "sad" and instead of living in fear, you ( and others ) should maybe take a good look at your work environment / job and life in general and see if you can come up with ways on improving the overall situation ( other than chaining everything you have to walls all the time / everywhere you go ).

logatron
Jul 4, 2012, 02:18 AM
I was just looking into this, and I found this page on Kensington's website (http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/s/2823/apple-security-solutions.aspx) that describes a new security solution called the SafeDock for the MacBook Air (both 11-inch and 13-inch), which secures the MBA in a dock with a key so that it cannot be stolen.

The datasheet seems to imply that it won't start shipping until August 1.

Here are the product pages for the 13-inch version (http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/p/2811/K67759AM/safedock%E2%84%A2-for-mackbook%C2%AE-air-13-security-dock-keyed-lock.aspx) and the 11-inch version (http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/p/2811/K67758AM/safedock%E2%84%A2-for-mackbook%C2%AE-air-11-security-dock-keyed-lock.aspx).

alphaod
Jul 4, 2012, 03:27 AM
Wow, old thread. I was going to point out that I usually take bathroom breaks with my Air tucked under my armů

dyn
Jul 8, 2012, 04:44 PM
I recently came across the following one which seems to have solved the problem the macBracket has: TechSafe Cable Lock System (http://store.griffintechnology.com/techsafe-cable-lock-system). The part that goes through is locked by the lock so it can't go anywhere.

davidnyjets
Jul 8, 2012, 04:50 PM
I know it might have been mentioned before, but I feel like common sense will help you immensely in keeping you MBA.

That being said, I'd just make sure it is never left out in the open, etc.

007bond
Jul 8, 2012, 06:55 PM
I recently came across the following one which seems to have solved the problem the macBracket has: TechSafe Cable Lock System (http://store.griffintechnology.com/techsafe-cable-lock-system). The part that goes through is locked by the lock so it can't go anywhere.

If you look at the specs, you'll see that it isn't compatible with the Air :(

dyn
Jul 9, 2012, 05:04 AM
Silly me! You're correct (I thought that pic was a MBA :(). Well in that case we should urge them to make one! :D

blulite
Jul 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
Seems a little silly to carry such a large case just to lock the device. Why not just a MBP then?

007bond
Jul 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
Silly me! You're correct (I thought that pic was a MBA :(). Well in that case we should urge them to make one! :D

I wish they did. The only other product I found was the macBracket, which I don't find very useful because you can't close the Air while using it.

zMacintoshz
Jul 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
Check this out from maclocks.com
http://www.maclocks.com/index.php/macbook-air-lock/macbookairlock-13.html

GREEN4U
Jul 10, 2012, 09:40 PM

That was me. :D

I asked current students if theft is a problem in the labs and they said it is not.
They said there's never been laptop theft to their knowledge. The buildings are secure and even the elevator requires card key access.

The students who are really paranoid might lock their laptops in a drawer or hide them under papers, but even that's rare.

lil' brudder
Jul 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
You might also try this (http://landingzone.net/). It locks around your MacBook Air so that the only way to steal it would be to destroy the computer's I/O and logic board. Price might be a little hefty, but you could then attach a normal security lock cable.
---
Woops - looks like it might not actually be released yet. Great in theory!

tom1971
Jul 11, 2012, 12:09 AM
Btw, that macBracket is a complete waste of money. The installation guide serves as a perfect guide how to uninstall it and take the notebook. It is like putting a cable lock through the front wheel of your bicycle. The thief simply takes out the front wheel so he can take off with your bike. It should have consisted of 2 parts (2 brackets: one goes in at the top, one goes in at the bottom) that are locked together with some kind of (ordinary) lock. That way it is not easily removed and it still does what you need it to do.

I think you misunderstood the concept of it. The backet can only be installed and removed from one side. Once the Kensington lock is in place, there is no way to remove the bracket.

chanyitian
Jul 11, 2012, 01:35 AM

I asked them before. They say that the locks are custom made by Apple and the locks aren't available to the general public.

wditters
Jul 11, 2012, 02:32 AM
My http://macbracket.com/ will be coming in today. Will let you know my impressions ...

kylera
Jul 11, 2012, 02:44 AM
I still prefer carrying it around, even if there are trustworthy people around me. It isn't so much that I don't trust them, but more because once you get used to leaving it behind, you do so automatically when you're around slightly less trustworthy people in a similar setting, and then it could grow legs.

Gav2k
Jul 11, 2012, 02:48 AM
I asked them before. They say that the locks are custom made by Apple and the locks aren't available to the general public.

Yes they are I order them for my work on a regular basis. Consists of a fixed alarm box (keypad or key operated) and 4-6 USB alarm cables plus a loud siren box. Works with all computers as we have airs, mbp's, iMacs etc etc

I'll grab the actual name of the company tonight!

miles01110
Jul 11, 2012, 02:50 AM

Who said this? The people on the floor barely know anything about Apple hardware, much less about something that's not made by Apple.

chanyitian
Jul 20, 2012, 07:46 AM
Who said this? The people on the floor barely know anything about Apple hardware, much less about something that's not made by Apple.

The staff at the Apple Store in Hong Kong. but i have seen someone with a magnetic lock so I don't believe what they said.

----------

Yes they are I order them for my work on a regular basis. Consists of a fixed alarm box (keypad or key operated) and 4-6 USB alarm cables plus a loud siren box. Works with all computers as we have airs, mbp's, iMacs etc etc

I'll grab the actual name of the company tonight!

Can you please tell me the name of the company which produces locks like these? thank you very much.