Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

150717-refurb_ipad_limited_pricing.jpg

Apple today announced a "special limited time" offer of reduced pricing on all three refurbished Wi-Fi iPad models in its U.S. online store, dropping the price of the 16 GB model by additional $20 and the 32 GB and 64 GB models by an additional $50 over the standard refurbished prices.

All refurbished iPads come with brand-new batteries and external shells and include one-year warranties. Refurbished iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models are not included in the special pricing and continue to be offered at $50 off relative to brand-new units.

Article Link: Apple Offers 'Special Limited Time' Pricing on Refurbished Wi-Fi iPads

Last edited:

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Yes, longer term this is clearing them out before the second version is ready, but in the shorter term this is a Christmas special. Get the units out the door this quarter, have a blowout Christmas, more people try the iPad instead of something else.

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
Do the refurbished iPads have a retina display?

Yes, apple take returned models, refurbish them and then put in a better screen than the original. It's part of the super secret "let's test the retina display in old refurb models before releasing the iPad 2" strategy.

Are you for frickin real?

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
Is there some manufacturing problem than causes DOAs or breaking after brief usage? And now Apple have to move those as refurbished by offering special prices?

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Very nice, good pricing. I am tempted to buy a Wi-Fi version, hmm... or just wait for the next model, decisions decisions...

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
Sweet!

I'm still going to wait till iPad 2 though just can not justify spending that much money right now.... especially with all the rumors floating around

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Yes, apple take returned models, refurbish them and then put in a better screen than the original. It's part of the super secret "let's test the retina display in old refurb models before releasing the iPad 2" strategy.

No need to be rude. They are just asking a question.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008

:rolleyes:

(probably should have included the sarcastic smiley in my original comment but it just never occured to me that someone might take it seriously.)

sotiredofsoup

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Santa Monica, CA

lol, you took the bait for that one.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
New shell and battery, full warranty... that’s close enough to new for me! Apple’s entry-level computer is now less then my friend’s Dell that has an awful screen and has failed repeatedly. (And I recommended it to her :eek: )

Do the refurbished iPads have a retina display?

No iPad (or other device of similar size) has a retina display, and next year’s models are unlikely to either.

At 10” screen sizes, the cost would be huge. (But they’re still good screens, and not viewed as close-up as a hand-held screen, so retina sharpness isn’t as useful. Still would be great to have someday!)

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
haha, suckers!

I wouldn't pay $400 for a new one, who would when a new one is not even 100 days away? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::cool::eek::):):mad::mad::mad::mad::D;)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Geez, can Apple get anymore desperate in getting rid of these things? It's like an iPad blowout has been occurring for last few weeks. Next up, Burlington Coat Factory, Big Lots, and Aldi.

Orange™;11545184 said:
I wouldn't pay $400 for a new one, who would when a new one is not even 100 days away? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::cool::eek::):):mad::mad::mad::mad::D;)

Preach on, bro. Really, the iPad has had its 9 full months of glory. They really can't be riding this wave too much longer.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008

Sorry to burst your tiny bubble but these won't last long. You don't know when the update will be available!

cheers
JohnG

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Desperation has nothing to do with it, as you well know given the smashing success of the iPads. It does have to do with opportunity. Apple knows competition will eventually come in this market (beyond that Samsung Tab), and the more people who buy iPads now the better.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Oh wow. I had been waffling between an iPad and an Air or other small notebook for portability. The price reduction on the 64 Gb may be too tempting to pass up.

I guess it's time to go be all nice-like to the wifey... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.