Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a 60GB iPod Touch and Windows 7 running iTunes 10.1... All software is the latest version and they are not getting along. Whenever I try to sync the entire playlist (or even one song) iTunes freezes and I get this message.

"Attempting to copy to the disk "John's iPod" failed. The device timed out."

Is the problem with the iPod or iTunes?

I have restored factory settings on the iPod and it was no help. I WOULD just copy the 30 gigs of music (WAVs) onto my Mac and sync it over there but it's a friend's iPod and PC and they need to be synced together. Ugh.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
One other interesting note is that when iTunes is trying to sync some music, the iPod locks... I don't have an iPod so I assume that's normal...

Last edited:

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I think you should reinstall your iTunes in Windows 7, I believe something wrong with your iTunes.

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
I did reinstall iTunes (and iPod software) and it didn't help. But I now believe I've narrowed down the problem to the old computer I'm using (my friend's actually).

I was able to successfully transfer songs to the iPod from my Mac Pro and also from my personal PC which is newer. I think the old AMD box that I loaded all his CDs into has lame USB drivers or something. It sucks because I would happily just copy the entire 26 GB iTunes library onto my Mac and snyc it there, but because I imported all his 80 CDs onto HIS machine, when I copy the artist folders into my iTunes library, they only have song titles -- ie, no artist or album info. I don't want to give my friend an iPod with 954 "uncategorized" songs. I also don't want to go in and manually enter Album and Artist info for 80 albums. Ugh.

I'm going to see if I can somehow get his USB to work better. Maybe a PCI USB card or something...

kirkbross

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Los Angeles
Fixed!

This is what did it for me...

Go to Control Panel.
Open Device Manager
Open Universal Serial Bus controllers
Right click on VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller and click Disable

It's copying now... slowly... but at least I can just let it go over night.

BlueCat57

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
USB Version

If the AMD system is old enough it may only have USB 1.0 the iPod probably has USB 2.0. You can get a card for the AMD which would have USB 2.0 on it which would make syncing faster. Such a card would be around $10 and would be useful for other devices as well. Or you could just rip the CDs to your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.