PDA

View Full Version : Apple Addresses MacBook Air Issues With Firmware Update

T4R06
Dec 8, 2010, 02:53 PM
im installing mine now

Hellhammer
Dec 8, 2010, 02:58 PM
Seems to be online now. Can't update mine now as I'm going to bed in a sec. FYI, it says it fixes the wake up/start up issues where the screen remains black.

T4R06
Dec 8, 2010, 03:01 PM
dont freak-out after it restarts.. it will beep a loud noise then it will restart

KPOM
Dec 8, 2010, 03:04 PM
Seems to be online now. Can't update mine now as I'm going to bed in a sec. FYI, it says it fixes the wake up/start up issues where the screen remains black.

Nice. I'll definitely install it tonight, even though my new MacBook Air doesn't seem to have those problems (my first one did and had to be returned after 3 days). I wonder if this will fix the kernel panics I occasionally get?

Update: I don't see it on the Download site (just the ones for the Pro and MacBook). Did you get it through Software Update?

ct2k7
Dec 8, 2010, 03:12 PM
dont freak-out after it restarts.. it will beep a loud noise then it will restart

I freaked out.

BeyondtheTech
Dec 8, 2010, 03:17 PM
Where do you guys get this news?

ct2k7
Dec 8, 2010, 03:18 PM
Where do you guys get this news?

Mac Icon -> Software Update maybe?

andothfc
Dec 8, 2010, 03:24 PM
Thought mine had gone wrong. After the horrible beep (which I was expecting) it got stuck in a reboot loop, starting over about 6 times before it sorted itself.

BeyondtheTech
Dec 8, 2010, 03:30 PM

Well, that's an obvious place, but I was more in-tuned to seeing it on a blog post with details of what's it in, who it affects, etc.

mesca
Dec 8, 2010, 03:43 PM
I noticed MacRumors about the update; i am going to install it tomorrow.

ct2k7
Dec 8, 2010, 04:06 PM
Well, that's an obvious place, but I was more in-tuned to seeing it on a blog post with details of what's it in, who it affects, etc.

I have no idea - maybe he stumbled across it in a random software update?

MacRumors
Dec 8, 2010, 04:10 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/08/apple-addresses-macbook-air-issues-with-firmware-update/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/12/08/170650-macbook_air_efi_2_0.jpg

Apple today issued an EFI firmware update for the new 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air models, the latest in a series of software updates released since the line was revamped in late October as some users have complained of display problems, kernel panics, and other issues.

The new update, known as MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.0, addresses a "rare" issue with the machine booting or waking from sleep to a black screen or becoming completely unresponsive.This update resolves a rare issue where MacBook Air boots or wakes to a black screen or becomes unresponsive. This update is recommended for all 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air (late 2010) models.

The MacBook Air EFI Update will update the EFI firmware on your notebook computer. Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source. When your MacBook Air restarts, a gray screen will appear with a status bar to indicate the progress of the update. It will take several minutes for the update to complete. Do not disturb or shut off the power on your MacBook Air during this update.Apple released a graphics-related update (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/20/apple-releases-software-update-for-new-macbook-air-prokit-6-0/) for the new MacBook Air just as it began shipping, but even so users reported a number of issues (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/02/new-macbook-airs-experiencing-logic-board-issues/) with the new machines. Apple's internal support teams acknowledged (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/04/apple-internal-support-acknowledges-macbook-air-display-issues-software-update-coming/) several of the graphics issues soon after, and fixes were included in Mac OS X 10.6.5 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/18/mac-os-x-10-6-5-addresses-display-issues-on-new-macbook-air/) released in mid-November.

Article Link: Apple Addresses MacBook Air Issues With Firmware Update (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/08/apple-addresses-macbook-air-issues-with-firmware-update/)

Dec 8, 2010, 04:14 PM
as long as the updates are fixing even rare issues, they are welcome. :)

T4R06
Dec 8, 2010, 04:15 PM
it seems the update working well. opening the lid, you can instantly work with the trackpad. no wait at all

vaderhater245
Dec 8, 2010, 04:19 PM
awesome news! Just in time for Christmas.

Some_Big_Spoon
Dec 8, 2010, 04:24 PM
I have this issue a half dozen times a day, plugged into a 14" apple LED monitor, as well as just sitting and working with no monitor plugged in. Have lost a good deal of work due to the screen being unresponsive and needing to reboot.

thejoshhoward
Dec 8, 2010, 04:25 PM
Thought mine had gone wrong. After the horrible beep (which I was expecting) it got stuck in a reboot loop, starting over about 6 times before it sorted itself.

Me too! Read your post just as it started happening. :)

Oflife
Dec 8, 2010, 04:28 PM
... I have ever owned! Hence I now use the ever reliable iPad. I concluded that similar to that well documented bug in the Intel X86 processor series of yesterdecade, this awake from sleep issue was an inherent flaw in the firmware that Apple where having to patch with the release of each new laptop. This proves me correct, no?

Napsju
Dec 8, 2010, 04:33 PM
Updated my 11,6" 1,6GHz to SMC Version (system): 1.67f3.

z4n3
Dec 8, 2010, 04:37 PM
Just updated my 11" without problems. :cool:

Mattie Num Nums
Dec 8, 2010, 04:38 PM
Perfect timing! My Macbook Air should be here any day now.

MartiNZ
Dec 8, 2010, 04:42 PM
Mine too, ordered 3.5 weeks ago, and they say shouldn't be more than another 2!

mattwolfmatt
Dec 8, 2010, 04:43 PM
"Do not disturb or shut off the power on your MacBook Air during this update."

What happens if I do? Will it, um, become unresponsive with a black screen?

Mattie Num Nums
Dec 8, 2010, 04:47 PM

You can potentially fry the firmware. I remember when I was working at Apple with the Macbook SMC upgrades people shut down in the middle of the firmware flash and we had to use a recovery cd (which worked 25% of the time) to fix the firmware; the rest needed brand new logic boards.

KPOM
Dec 8, 2010, 04:52 PM

It will get really upset with you, start creaking, and ask you if you should have purchased a MacBook Pro instead. It will also start booting up in 7-10 seconds some of the time, but 20-30 seconds other times, and start spinning the fan at high RPMs at random times. :D

YMark
Dec 8, 2010, 05:04 PM

Are you a rebel or a cat? Why tempt fate?

MUBiomed
Dec 8, 2010, 05:13 PM
Cant update mine yet. It asks to restart...I click yes....it gets caught in some weird boot cycle that started and stopped around 4 times. The screen finally went black and then booted as normal. Software update still indicates I need to install the new firmware after each attempt. IDK what the deal is, but I do not want to keep trying since I figure at some point the entire thing is going to burst into flames. Any thoughts?

shartypants
Dec 8, 2010, 05:17 PM
good deal

-AG-
Dec 8, 2010, 05:26 PM
Kind of off topic but whats with people giving this news a negative rating?

Is it just because they cant diss the Air now because the issue is fixed? or general hatred of anything Apple? (and if thats the case why are they even here??)

Ok back on topic...

Good news re the update. Now we wait for 4.3 and it truly will feel like xmas is here :)

Mike84
Dec 8, 2010, 05:36 PM

Is it just because they cant diss the Air now because the issue is fixed? or general hatred of anything Apple? (and if thats the case why are they even here??)

Ok back on topic...

Good news re the update. Now we wait for 4.3 and it truly will feel like xmas is here :)

It is funny you bring that up. I notice that on other MR releases as well. Some people will simply put negative remarks for something good. I guess they are just punks and want to go against the crowd.

iNotion
Dec 8, 2010, 05:46 PM
It is funny you bring that up. I notice that on other MR releases as well. Some people will simply put negative remarks for something good. I guess they are just punks and want to go against the crowd.

maybe they think they'll be "idiotically special"...

danielwsmithee
Dec 8, 2010, 05:48 PM

What happens if I do? Will it, um, become unresponsive with a black screen?There is a actually a check and the installer will not install if the computer is not plugged in. That being said if you unplugged it after the installer had already started and you happened to not have any juice in your battery you could brick your MacBook. I'm sure it would be covered under warranty still, but still a hassle.

mattwolfmatt
Dec 8, 2010, 06:01 PM

Ok back on topic...

Probably negative because it needed an update, not because an update was released.

lythium
Dec 8, 2010, 06:09 PM
anyone else noticing the fan being "on" more since this update?

lythium
Dec 8, 2010, 06:12 PM
anyone else noticing the fan being "on" more since this update?

woops nvm. forgot i just installed plex.

bowlerman625
Dec 8, 2010, 06:21 PM

I should have read this first! I keep my volume down and I thought my baby Mac was freaking out when that loud sound came along.

Mattsasa
Dec 8, 2010, 06:22 PM
I hit negative because when I installed this firmware update, my macbook air that I do not own turned into a decepticon and murdered me.

LS1
Dec 8, 2010, 06:27 PM
Does this update fix the creaking problems?

lol. jk.

Mazda 3s
Dec 8, 2010, 06:29 PM
I love how Apple always says that their software/firmware updates resolve problems that are "rare" for users. Such bullcrap.

That being said, can't wait for my 13" Z0JG MBA to get here next Tuesday.

coolfactor
Dec 8, 2010, 06:49 PM

You know who's new to the Mac by observing who refers to Apple as "Mac".

It's the Apple menu. ;)

KnightWRX
Dec 8, 2010, 06:49 PM
I love how Apple always says that their software/firmware updates resolve problems that are "rare" for users. Such bullcrap.

This issue has been rare though. If it hadn't, we wouldn't have had such a positive month here on the MBA forum. My MBA has been flawless from day one, has as been many other's.

YMark
Dec 8, 2010, 07:02 PM
Is anyone having an issue with getting GrowlMail to work after installing this update?

lucashungaro
Dec 8, 2010, 07:14 PM
I wasn't having any issue, but installed the update anyway. Everything working fine.

Two tips:

- You must have the power cord plugged. If you don't, it will try to install then enter what looks to be a reboot cycle, the boot screen will flick and after some time it will boot normally. The update will not be installed (Software Update will show it as available).

- When the MBA reboots for the update, there will be a loud beep. It's normal.

lostngone
Dec 8, 2010, 07:15 PM
Me too! Read your post just as it started happening. :)

Mine did that as well it rebooted a few times and then booted into Mac OS X. However the update did not apply. I had to run it again and then it apply the update.

I did not have mine on AC power the first time. I had a good charge and wasn't worried however after the boot loop I plugged it in and it worked the second time.

efirmage
Dec 8, 2010, 07:19 PM
If it keeps restarting just plug in the power adapter. Installed in about 2 minutes.

sclarksons
Dec 8, 2010, 07:23 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

My newish MacBook pro does the same thing occasionally.

MrJPH
Dec 8, 2010, 07:49 PM
I have not had any issues with my new 13" Macbook Air, screen, or otherwise... was wary of doing the update because of, but decided to do it anyway... went smoothly, and all still seems well.

ryanmckenzie
Dec 8, 2010, 07:58 PM

I jumped out my seat lol.

Btw, I don't understand how it's a rare issue, I got a replacement at the apple store, no more than a week ago, and still got the same problems. Anyway I'm glad it's all better now :)

tigres
Dec 8, 2010, 08:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't want to install this. Mines perfect as is.

neteng101
Dec 8, 2010, 09:03 PM
No issues - just spend about 5 minutes or less updating and it restarted quick after it was done.

aristobrat
Dec 8, 2010, 09:29 PM
Is anyone having an issue with getting GrowlMail to work after installing this update?
Did they fix GrowlMail after 10.6.5 broke it a week or two ago? :confused:

KPOM
Dec 8, 2010, 09:36 PM
This issue has been rare though. If it hadn't, we wouldn't have had such a positive month here on the MBA forum. My MBA has been flawless from day one, has as been many other's.

It may have been "rare" but it was common enough for Apple to release a fix. It affected my brand new MacBook Air last month (enough so that I had to return it after 3 days to get a replacement). I figured it was some sort of firmware issue since it happened sometimes but not others, but it had gotten so bad I couldn't wait for a fix. Based on the poll I started last month, quite a few others here had the same issue.

deedas
Dec 8, 2010, 10:22 PM
I wonder if this will fix my power light problem. Highly unlikely. Will update soon either way.

richard371
Dec 8, 2010, 10:23 PM
damn didn't fix the broken backlight on my keyboard lol :)

I wonder if this will fix my power light problem. Highly unlikely. Will update soon either way.

longdrive23
Dec 8, 2010, 11:33 PM
My 13" MBA that was working perfectly does not boot up anymore, any attempt at start or hard reboot does not show any activity on the screen and the screen stays black. If this was the 'rare' issue that this update fixed, how can I apply this EFI fix? When it does not even boot, how would it download and start install?

I bought the MBA on 11 Nov, so may not have the latest version of the OS (which includes this fix)

iNotion
Dec 8, 2010, 11:36 PM
Just update the new firmwire...

All my on-looking colleagues freaked out, except me... haha..:D:apple:

pinzip
Dec 9, 2010, 12:38 AM
I also just updated the firmware along with the VMWare Fusion via the Apple Menu -> Software Update. Everything went smoothly and it took less than 5 minutes along with the loud sound. I've been fortunate enough to not have encountered any of the problems posted here and I hope that won't change soon.

harley3k
Dec 9, 2010, 12:38 AM

Mine did the exact same thing. I assume it reverted back to the original firmware because when it restarted I ran software update again and it showed the same update needed to be installed.

Tried it again and it went through fine.

Smurfed
Dec 9, 2010, 01:18 AM
My 13" MBA that was working perfectly does not boot up anymore, any attempt at start or hard reboot does not show any activity on the screen and the screen stays black. If this was the 'rare' issue that this update fixed, how can I apply this EFI fix? When it does not even boot, how would it download and start install?

I bought the MBA on 11 Nov, so may not have the latest version of the OS (which includes this fix)

Lesson learned: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tom vilsack
Dec 9, 2010, 01:56 AM

if you can borrow a friends mac..try buring a firmware restoration cd...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2213

humm maybe there's not one for macbook air?

edit: lastest i can find is 1.9 and it shows only macpro

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1320

tmoerel
Dec 9, 2010, 02:03 AM
if you can borrow a friends mac..try buring a firmware restoration cd...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2213

And where do you stick that CD in your Air? In the SD slot?

tom vilsack
Dec 9, 2010, 02:20 AM

there's always one lol

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC684ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

deedas
Dec 9, 2010, 02:26 AM
LOL that firmware update beep was louder than the usual firmware update beeps. Then again, I've never done one on a MBA.

nelmat
Dec 9, 2010, 02:31 AM
Probably negative because it needed an update, not because an update was released.

I know - can you imagine?! A computer operating system/consumer electronics product firmware needing an update! It's atrocious, no other company has to do this. Apple's quality continues to drop through the floor and they continue to have lost all interest in computers. They haven't released a new model/update in over six weeks - obviously they need my advice on how to run their company and make it profitable. And everyone who buys an Apple product and has the audacity to like it? Well, they're just fan boys drinking the Apple Kool-Aid.

</sarcasm>

nelmat
Dec 9, 2010, 02:31 AM

In any computer nearby with disk share enabled.

tmoerel
Dec 9, 2010, 02:39 AM
In any computer nearby with disk share enabled.

No chance. You will not boot an OS level CD via disk share.

RTee
Dec 9, 2010, 02:57 AM
damn didn't fix the broken backlight on my keyboard lol :)

Remember though as quoted by Mr Ives in the new MacBook Air video that there was no compromise in the new MacBoook Air - Ya thanks Johnnie, maybe they just forgot to add it!

weckart
Dec 9, 2010, 05:36 AM
I missed out on the alarming beep. On restarting, my Air just sat silent with a blank screen. I had to hold the on button down for a few seconds to coax it into action. A pathetically quiet and brief 'blip' sounded rather than this magnificent beep I have been hearing about and then the firmware update went under way.

I feel cheated and wronged.

rdlink
Dec 9, 2010, 05:43 AM
Mine too, ordered 3.5 weeks ago, and they say shouldn't be more than another 2!

Wow! Poor guys. Ordered mine on Sunday. Shipped from Shanghai on Monday. In New Jersey now, and will be delivered tomorrow.

KPOM
Dec 9, 2010, 05:46 AM

It sounds like the issue I was having with my first MacBook Air that I returned. Since I got a replacement 3 days later, obviously I can't say whether this update fixes the issue, but with that one, eventually if I pressed the power button or flipped the lid open and closed it would start up. One time it took nearly an hour (I tried every few minutes). If you can't get it started up, I'd set up a Genius Bar appointment for today and have them attempt to install it.

double329
Dec 9, 2010, 06:17 AM
I did mine yesterday and it went fine.

Here is what to expect:

1. After click on button to reboot. It also recommend plug in power. I didn't since my bat level is at 85%. I recommend plug-in also.
2. You will hear a first loud beep, even my son said: that was loud...
3. Few sec later you will hear normal OS boot sound with with white screen for a sec, then reboot
4. #3 repeat
5. #3 repeat (I think this was the last one, It could have been one more time)
6. OS boot normally to desktop, back up and running. Everything is fine.

I did started to panic when the step #3 started at the third time. I stayed calm and let it do its thing. (DO NOT Interrupt until you see the desktop). I think the reason it reboot few times is: fewer firmware were updated. System, Video, etc...

UPDATE: If you see step #3 repeated couple of times, that means your MBA won't update the firmware. You MUST plug in AC power in order to update firmware successfully.

weckart
Dec 9, 2010, 06:47 AM
I did mine yesterday and it went fine.

Here is what to expect:

1. After click on button to reboot. It also recommend plug in power. I didn't since my bat level is at 85%. I recommend plug-in also.
2. You will hear a first loud beep, even my son said: that was loud...
3. Few sec later you will hear normal OS boot sound with with white screen for a sec, then reboot
4. #3 repeat
5. #3 repeat (I think this was the last one, It could have been one more time)
6. OS boot normally to desktop, back up and running. Everything is fine.

I did started to panic when the step #3 started at the third time. I stayed calm and let it do its thing. (DO NOT Interrupt until you see the desktop). I think the reason it reboot few times is: fewer firmware were updated. System, Video, etc...

Didn't get any of that. Downloaded and elected to restart later. Put the machine to sleep while I found a quiet office. Restarted - black screen, no activity. Held the power button down - blip - firmware update screen went up. Rebooted after update and restarted with no fireworks. No reboot loops, no squawking, nothing much, really.

All in all, apart from my first black screen, a very meh update in terms of excitement.

Looks like everyone's MMV.

decimortis
Dec 9, 2010, 07:21 AM
This was the only issue I had with my Air since getting it, and it only happened to it three times in over a month, still, it bugged me, so I'm glad it's fixed.

On the other hand, that beep made me spill my coffee.

D.

KnightWRX
Dec 9, 2010, 07:25 AM
It may have been "rare" but it was common enough for Apple to release a fix.

HP once released a fix for a kernel issue on HP-UX after I had had it on 1 box, 1 time and was the first to report it. Companies that learn about software bugs, no matter how rare the occurence might be, tend to issue fixes. Nothing surprising there and nothing that implies any kind of commonality.

This isn't fix isn't for your issue, just bring it in for repair under warranty, it's obviously just dead.

jfulcher
Dec 9, 2010, 07:58 AM
They still didn't fix crap. Still have a sleep issue here. Issue being when hibernatemode is set to 3 (which is default) when the computer wakes itself up in order to go into deep sleep it kernel panics. Then at that point it's frozen with a black screen and it chews thru the battery like it was turned on. I then have to force a shutdown and a bootup. I send the crash report to apple every time.

Way to fix NOTHING!

If I set my hibernatemode to 0 then all is fine - I get no crashes. :mad:

KnightWRX
Dec 9, 2010, 08:10 AM
They still didn't fix crap. Still have a sleep issue here. Issue being when hibernatemode is set to 3 (which is default) when the computer wakes itself up in order to go into deep sleep it kernel panics. Then at that point it's frozen with a black screen and it chews thru the battery like it was turned on. I then have to force a shutdown and a bootup. I send the crash report to apple every time.

Way to fix NOTHING!

If I set my hibernatemode to 0 then all is fine - I get no crashes. :mad:

Use. The. Warranty.

gwsat
Dec 9, 2010, 08:27 AM
im installing mine now
Thanks for the heads up about the firmware update for the MBA but thanks particularly for the warning about the beep when the MBA is rebooted after the new firmware has been downloaded. I jumped a foot when it happened, despite your warning, so no telling what might have happened if I hadn't been listening for it.:)

Pipper99
Dec 9, 2010, 09:11 AM

Good to know: I'll put the dogs outside before I run the update. :eek:

PBG4 Dude
Dec 9, 2010, 09:15 AM
Good to know: I'll put the dogs outside before I run the update. :eek:

You can also turn your volume down before running the update. Worked for me anyway (left volume up a couple blips to hear the beep but wasn't loud in my office).

YMark
Dec 9, 2010, 09:19 AM
Did they fix GrowlMail after 10.6.5 broke it a week or two ago? :confused:

I got GrowlMail working. Yes there is a fix for 10.6.5 (mail 4.4). GrowlMail works.

nomar383
Dec 9, 2010, 09:33 AM
Should have read this thread before I did that update. I just woke up this whole classroom during a 7:45am class with that beep lol

EDIT: It didn't even install since I had no power supply :D

Pipper99
Dec 9, 2010, 09:56 AM
You can also turn your volume down before running the update. Worked for me anyway (left volume up a couple blips to hear the beep but wasn't loud in my office).

Oddly, I had the impression that the beep blasted even if the volume is down. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Pipper99
Dec 9, 2010, 09:59 AM
Should have read this thread before I did that update. I just woke up this whole classroom during a 7:45am class with that beep lol

Ha! I thought about plugging in at a Starbucks at lunch and running the update. I think that I'll wait until I get home. :)

wirelessmacuser
Dec 9, 2010, 10:22 AM
You are 100% correct. I have encountered their denial on more occasions than I care to disclose. And _do not_ get me wrong, I'm not bashing Apple.

I own many other brands as well, this is an industry problem, it's just that I expect more from Apple than Acer as one example.

Speaking of examples, proof positive that this was far more prevalent, than rare, I took my six day old 13" MBA to my local Apple Store. They duplicated the problem everytime it booted. The Genius was extremely nice and went out of his way to call Apple & have a BTO (mine had 4GB) expedited for me.

It arrived a few days later, only to display the same problem as the genius unboxed it & set it up to check it. Long story short, I'm now on my forth, did the update, and now it works properly.

It was quite the hassle but at least Apple fixed it in a reasonable time frame. Overall this is a terrific model.

dmgoldman
Dec 9, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hm. Installed the update last night on my 11.6, and this morning it woke from sleep to a black screen. For the first time ever! D'oh.
(Closing the lid and reopening it brought things back to normal. FOR NOW…)

truncj
Dec 9, 2010, 10:27 AM

I freaked out.

Hahaha. I freaked out in the middle of my class. Also "don't freak out" if you computer reboots to the Apple Logo two or three or four times (i just ended up closing the MBA since it was disturbing my class). I reopened it a little later and booted up and its working great!

Bubba Satori
Dec 9, 2010, 12:05 PM
I know - can you imagine?! A computer operating system/consumer electronics product firmware needing an update! It's atrocious, no other company has to do this. Apple's quality continues to drop through the floor and they continue to have lost all interest in computers. They haven't released a new model/update in over six weeks - obviously they need my advice on how to run their company and make it profitable. And everyone who buys an Apple product and has the audacity to like it? Well, they're just fan boys drinking the Apple Kool-Aid.

</sarcasm>

The perfect is now more perfect.

</roll eyes without smilie annoying blurb>

jamespa66
Dec 9, 2010, 12:39 PM
Applied the "fix" last night. Well just picked up my MBA and there was the black screen again. Forced shut down as nothing came up after a few minutes.
Time to call Apple again!

mrmister
Dec 9, 2010, 01:45 PM
Note: if you do the update without power, you didn't do the update--you get beeps, but it isn't updated. Run it again while plugged in by checking software update.

Tom-Helge
Dec 9, 2010, 01:54 PM
Oh hey, i'm new here. But anyways.

I have the new 11.6 inch MacBook Air. But Mac OS X is installed on my external harddrive, so when i run the firmware update on the MacBook Air, it just downloads the update and reboots.

But nothing is happening after it rebooted. Yes i have the power cable connected to the laptop.

So i'am just out of luck to update the firmware because i have Mac OS X on an external harddrive?

drxcm
Dec 9, 2010, 02:10 PM
Just did mine - loud beep, single restart, no problems.

Seems faster when waking from sleep now too.

potentpotable
Dec 9, 2010, 02:15 PM
Are all software updates necessary? (This is my first Mac, so I don't know.)

I ask because of two reasons:

1) I got my Mac with that defective issue replaced, and this unit is perfect. I'm worried about "fixing" something that's not broke.

2) My boot time got destroyed after installing the 10.6.5. update. I don't want it to happen again. :(

jamespa66
Dec 9, 2010, 02:54 PM
Note: if you do the update without power, you didn't do the update--you get beeps, but it isn't updated. Run it again while plugged in by checking software update.

My update took first try, still blanking...

superleccy
Dec 9, 2010, 04:31 PM
I wonder if it will fix the problem with my 11.6" MBA.

My problem is that my 11.6" MBA is sat in the Apple Store in Regent Street awaiting parts for repair for a problem that this firmware update sounds like it might be able to fix.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1058906

No... think this is too little too late for me... :(

SL

KPOM
Dec 9, 2010, 06:54 PM
Are all software updates necessary? (This is my first Mac, so I don't know.)

I ask because of two reasons:

1) I got my Mac with that defective issue replaced, and this unit is perfect. I'm worried about "fixing" something that's not broke.

2) My boot time got destroyed after installing the 10.6.5. update. I don't want it to happen again. :(

I'd install it anyway. Even on my replacement system, I'd get an occasional kernel panic on wake-from-sleep. Also, I have noticed no change in boot-up times after installing the new EFI firmware.

KPOM
Dec 9, 2010, 07:03 PM
Naturally, I just got another kernel panic about 10 minutes after waking it up from a deep sleep. I'd hate to have to return a second MacBook Air. I saved the details in a text file and will monitor it in the future. This time, I did not start up Parallels, so that rules that out. I did do a diagnostic check a few days ago and it came through with no issues reported.

gb1631
Dec 9, 2010, 08:51 PM
No problems with the firmware update. I wish my track pad wasn't so sensitive though. I tried reseting my Pram, didn't seem to help. :rolleyes:

MrJPH
Dec 9, 2010, 09:13 PM
My battery was at 98% when I downloaded the firmware update (and yes, it was plugged in when I downloaded it), and now is frozen on that 98% even though it is now fully charged... It's getting to the point that I really dread downloading anything from Apple anymore, as never had before issues arise after doing so.

Is there someway to reset it so that it goes back to displaying 100% when it is fully charged?

I know this is a minuscule, but it's still a very annoying thing... I mean come on! :mad:

jamespa66
Dec 9, 2010, 11:41 PM
My battery was at 98% when I downloaded the firmware update (and yes, it was plugged in when I downloaded it), and now is frozen on that 98% even though it is now fully charged... It's getting to the point that I really dread downloading anything from Apple anymore, as never had before issues arise after doing so.

Is there someway to reset it so that it goes back to displaying 100% when it is fully charged?

I know this is a minuscule, but it's still a very annoying thing... I mean come on! :mad:

Let the battery drain down to under 90% then plug it back in and it should go to 100%, if not recalibrate it.

MrJPH
Dec 10, 2010, 08:00 AM
Let the battery drain down to under 90% then plug it back in and it should go to 100%, if not recalibrate it.

Hi, Jamespa66 -

Yeah, I was thinking that too, letting the battery run down (except I was thinking almost to depletion) and then charging it all the way back up, I will do and try that, thank you.

If that doesn't work, how does one recalibrate it? *** Never mind, I found out how by hopping on Apple Support ***

jfulcher
Dec 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
use. The. Warranty.

i. Tried. They. Told. Me. It. Was. A. Known. Issue. And. To. Wait. For. Fix.

KnightWRX
Dec 10, 2010, 09:23 AM
i. Tried. They. Told. Me. It. Was. A. Known. Issue. And. To. Wait. For. Fix.

Don't. Take. No. For. An. Answer.

TPadden
Dec 10, 2010, 10:29 AM
My battery was at 98% when I downloaded the firmware update (and yes, it was plugged in when I downloaded it), and now is frozen on that 98% even though it is now fully charged...:mad:

You do know that most laptops, the air included, anytime fully charged, will NOT start another charging cycle UNTIL the level drops below a certain point, usually 92-95%???? :)

KPOM
Dec 10, 2010, 10:37 AM
You do know that most laptops, the air included, anytime fully charged, will NOT start another charging cycle UNTIL the level drops below a certain point, usually 95%???? :)

True. Apple's website even says as much. I've had it stop charging at 95%. Once it gets below that, it will charge up again to 100%.

MooneyFlyer
Dec 10, 2010, 11:13 AM
My MBA ultimate crashed today for the first time with the complete "please push the power button." I have not installed the firmware update and wasn't planning to because things were running smoothly. Now, I may bite the bullet...

Beijar
Dec 10, 2010, 11:31 AM
I installed the v2.0 update on my MacBook Air 11".. and now it crasch everytime I open it.. nice work :apple: :mad:

XiaoLongBao
Dec 10, 2010, 12:19 PM
I installed the firmware update, but the issue persists. :(

KPOM
Dec 10, 2010, 12:23 PM
My MBA ultimate crashed today for the first time with the complete "please push the power button." I have not installed the firmware update and wasn't planning to because things were running smoothly. Now, I may bite the bullet...

I installed the update 3 days ago and got a kernel panic 2 days ago a few minutes after waking it up from a deep sleep. I saved a copy of the panic log and will bring it into the Genius Bar tomorrow.

ryanmckenzie
Dec 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
I updated a few days ago but still get the black screen issue.
I'm not sure what to suspect, because this is my replacement MBA, it has all the same problems as the last one, including kernel panics.

I'm running safari in 32 bit mode, with divx, I honestly wonder if (for some reason) this is causing the issue. Because so far, the issue's only occurred when running safari like this??

MrJPH
Dec 11, 2010, 12:03 AM
You do know that most laptops, the air included, anytime fully charged, will NOT start another charging cycle UNTIL the level drops below a certain point, usually 92-95%???? :)

Why no, no I did not know that, as this is my first laptop ever. Thank you, I will give that a try, and if is the case, will know that from now on.

Thank you again, I will update if that remedies the situation (I'm now down to 92%).

tom vilsack
Dec 11, 2010, 12:18 AM
just a thought:

as not hearing about these issues with (macbook-macbook pro-imac ect)

kinda makes one wonder if it's not some type issue with the ssd drives? (as other dont have unless $ optioned)

idea: do clean install,then on first boot update (with power adaptor)...

The Final Cut
Dec 11, 2010, 01:32 AM
after installing update i have massive fan noise and less battery life?

Beijar
Dec 11, 2010, 05:01 AM
It's very annoying that I haven't had any problem at all before. But AFTER the v2.0 update, I get black screen and the "press power to reboot.." and so on.. This HAS to be a firmware problem. :mad:

Neuronal
Dec 11, 2010, 07:37 AM
My 13" ultimate was performing perfectly, and like a good boy I installed the new firmware when it came out. Last night, while watching streamed Hell's Kitchen, the computer screen suddenly went blank with the backlight on (apple logo lit up on back). Nothing but restart recovered it. Did I just install the problem y'all have been complaining about? WTF?

KPOM
Dec 11, 2010, 03:37 PM
I installed the update 3 days ago and got a kernel panic 2 days ago a few minutes after waking it up from a deep sleep. I saved a copy of the panic log and will bring it into the Genius Bar tomorrow.

For what it's worth, I took my MacBook Air to the Genius Bar again today, and the tech ran some diagnostics. Everything checked out, and they couldn't find the kernel panic in the log (he said resetting the PVRAM might have caused it, but I don't think I did so after the last panic). In any case, I had saved the log so he looked through that and the crash reports that did show up. His best guess is that VMWare Fusion was causing the panics, since it was in the log.

I had migrated over my old Air to the new one, taking Fusion 3.0 with it. As a suggested fix, I updated to 3.1.2 and will see if that fixes it. If not, my next step is to remove it (since I'm using Parallels Desktop 6 right now, anyway).

gwsat
Dec 11, 2010, 04:29 PM
For what it's worth, I took my MacBook Air to the Genius Bar again today, and the tech ran some diagnostics. Everything checked out, and they couldn't find the kernel panic in the log (he said resetting the PVRAM might have caused it, but I don't think I did so after the last panic). In any case, I had saved the log so he looked through that and the crash reports that did show up. His best guess is that VMWare Fusion was causing the panics, since it was in the log.

I had migrated over my old Air to the new one, taking Fusion 3.0 with it. As a suggested fix, I updated to 3.1.2 and will see if that fixes it. If not, my next step is to remove it (since I'm using Parallels Desktop 6 right now, anyway).
I have been running VMware Fusion 3.1.2 on my MBA, too, and have had no problems with the Vm or otherwise. Like you, I migrated my Fusion VM and Windows 7 from another computer, in my case an MBP.

As noted in an earlier post, the installation of the firmware update was uneventful and didn't break anything. The only glitch I have had occurrs occasionally when I open up the MBA from sleep. About 10 or 15 percent of the time the trackpad and keyboard are unresponsive for several seconds. Fortunately, even when it has happened, it has unfailingly cured itself in less than 30 seconds.

MooneyFlyer
Dec 13, 2010, 07:27 AM
Second crash yesterday -- either removing the external LED or the USB hub I have plugged in, I'm not sure. Either way, I'm not thrilled. I still haven't updated the firmware yet...

LaMerVipere
Dec 14, 2010, 10:43 AM
I just got a new 11" MacBook Air last night and got 2 kernel panics in a row after waking it up from sleep. Seems fine since then, but should I be worried?

KPOM
Dec 14, 2010, 10:47 AM
I just got a new 11" MacBook Air last night and got 2 kernel panics in a row after waking it up from sleep. Seems fine since then, but should I be worried?

Did you update the firmware yet? Also did you migrate anything from your old Mac? I had an old version of Fusion that was causing some kernel panics.

LaMerVipere
Dec 14, 2010, 10:50 AM
Did you update the firmware yet? Also did you migrate anything from your old Mac? I had an old version of Fusion that was causing some kernel panics.

Firmware upgrade was one of the first things I did before those happened, and I didn't migrate anything.

Pipper99
Dec 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hmmm, I haven't had any problems with my non updated 13" MBA for the two weeks that I've had it: I think that I'll wait a while to update the firmware. :eek:

BENJMNS
Dec 14, 2010, 11:17 AM
About 10 or 15 percent of the time the trackpad and keyboard are unresponsive for several seconds. Fortunately, even when it has happened, it has unfailingly cured itself in less than 30 seconds.

i'm not sure this is an issue. it happens to all of them when they go into a deep sleep. what i noticed is post this firmware, the mouse actually responds to input within a second v. the ~3 seconds pre firm.

but i realized man those who complain about this seriously need to get a life. :D

KnightWRX
Dec 14, 2010, 12:08 PM
The only glitch I have had occurrs occasionally when I open up the MBA from sleep. About 10 or 15 percent of the time the trackpad and keyboard are unresponsive for several seconds. Fortunately, even when it has happened, it has unfailingly cured itself in less than 30 seconds.

That's because that's not a glitch at all, it's working as designed. There's a thread about it, it's because you left the computer sleeping for more than an hour and it went into deep sleep. Waking up takes longer in that mode and thus your mouse/keyboard are unresponsive while OS X finishes loading RAM contents from the SSD drive.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1051032

EDIT: geez, you even participated in that thread where all of this is explained, and you still call it a glitch ? :rolleyes:

Funnier is your comment :

I have seen some pretty silly complaints about Macs over the years but whinging about the MBA sometimes taking, gasp, 5 seconds to wake up from sleep may take the prize. Somebody needs to get a life, it seems to me.:)

Did you just tell yourself to get a life ? Because you essentially just posted a complaint about this very same 5 seconds...

darkfame
Dec 14, 2010, 01:59 PM
Anyone else noticed the graphics are all "jumpy" the first 15-30 seconds after wakeup on the new EFI?

tmoerel
Dec 14, 2010, 02:17 PM
Anyone else noticed the graphics are all "jumpy" the first 15-30 seconds after wakeup on the new EFI?

Nope. Mine comes out of sleep and is responsive as it should be. And i have update the EFI on my 13"

darkfame
Dec 14, 2010, 02:28 PM
Nope. Mine comes out of sleep and is responsive as it should be. And i have update the EFI on my 13"

From "deep" sleep?

tmoerel
Dec 15, 2010, 12:45 AM
From "deep" sleep?

From both. Just takes a little longer from deep sleep as it has to put the contents of the RAM back but it is responsive without lagging

MooneyFlyer
Dec 15, 2010, 05:17 AM
well, I gave up and installed the update this morning. Last night, after reading email / etc. in front of the TV, I closed up my Air and put it in my office (not plugged in, etc.)

This morning I hooked it up to the external screen, USB hub, and power. I opened it to **nothing**. After a few mins of waking up (it's 6am) I finally realized it wasn't starting so I pressed the power button. After a short boot I realized my Air had completely lost it's mind.

The battery was completely flat -- 0%. The network connections had been lost, date was set back to 2006 or something.

So - we'll see what goes on today but I'm not thrilled this AM. :mad:

glacorte84
Aug 14, 2014, 02:58 PM
I have seen that my build-in keyboard and track-pad stop working at some point while using it. I'm new using Mac and thought that this was related with this issue since it went to sleep and when I woke it up, the BT was searching for keyboard and mouse, since then I have noticed this issue. I have plugged a wired mouse and disable BT but still having the issue of my build-in keyboard and track-pad. I don't know what else to do :(

Even with this update I'm still seeing it. Is there someone else with this issue??

I have a MacBookAir4,1 (11")

franc2
Aug 15, 2014, 02:30 PM
Is there a firmware update for MacBook Pro after updating to OS 10.9.4

donlab
Aug 19, 2014, 01:58 PM
I have seen that my build-in keyboard and track-pad stop working at some point while using it. I'm new using Mac and thought that this was related with this issue since it went to sleep and when I woke it up, the BT was searching for keyboard and mouse, since then I have noticed this issue. I have plugged a wired mouse and disable BT but still having the issue of my build-in keyboard and track-pad. I don't know what else to do :(

Even with this update I'm still seeing it. Is there someone else with this issue??

I have a MacBookAir4,1 (11")

You just woke a necro thread from 2010 to ask about your bluetooth keyboard? Start a new thread