Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I just recently attempted to upgrade my printer's firmware, but found out that the upgrade program is only available for windows for some reason, it's HP, they clearly have mac devs available for all their other software... sigh... Anyway, i booted into windows only to discover that the app wouldn't work with windows 7, it wouldn't even start, yes i went into the self-extracting folder, after a little bit of searching anyway, and i tried to execute the app directly, used compatibility settings on everything, that didn't work either, so i gave up. Then i booted back into OS X, and to my shock, it worked with wine. Wine was more compatible that windows itself in this case. I never expected it to work, but I guess, somehow, wine managed to do it.

I don't like wine that much, but i keep it around for these occasions, and this one sure surprised me.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Why didn't you read the instructions? HP always gives good instructions for installing software.

And printer firmware updates are so rare to go onto a rant about windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.