Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
With shipment of Mac Mini's the first Mini's have started arriving.

One photo gallery was posted detailing the opening of the Mac Mini from the shipment box.

Smash's World posted a short MPEG4 video (Quicktime) of the (safe) disassembly of the Mac Mini.

Meanwhile, Appleinsider posts some additional details about the Mini. Most tantalizing is the follow blurb:

Finally, sources note that the mini's non-standard power connector contains too many leads to serve solely as a power source, and could provide hints of upcoming add-ons...

At this point, this remains pure speculation.

Additional Notes:

- Ships with iLife '05
- iPhoto '05 book/photo ordering support not yet available (later this month)

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Now, I haven't seen one in person yet (Saturday...), but would it be possible that all those different pins in the power connector are to provide direct-voltage to the different components without stepping down or up (2.5, 3.3, 5V, etc)?

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
Got mine!

My first Apple order to be shipped early in about 3 years! They might make it as a computer company after all!

Good job Apple!

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Looks nice. I have 2 die-hard PC using friends who have been asking me a load of questions about the Mac mini and OS X in the past week. They're both just waiting a few weeks to see how first users' impressions turn out before committing to the purchase. No doubt this picture series will be but one of many as Mac minis start turning up in large numbers.

miradu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2003
Mine came via fedex today - I used free shipping.

It's amazing. iLife 05 is incredible, the upgrades to iphoto and idvd are worth the money alone, (I'm not the biggest gb/imovie fan, so i can't comment that much on it).

The harddrive is noticeably slow, but everything else is awesome. Fast, beautiful. The mini itself is just a perfect work of engineering, except for cables. I've already used up all the ports.. it's a mess back there. *sigh*. I guess that's the reason for an iMac.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Finally, sources note that the mini's non-standard power connector contains too many leads to serve solely as a power source, and could provide hints of upcoming add-ons...

What options might there be? I heard someone the other day telling me about getting internet over power lines (instead of cable or phone lines). Could this be to receive internet over the power?

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
Wow, who'd have thought it shared so many similarities with the eMac.

Maybe the mini really is going to end up replacing it, now that the eMac has been EOL'd...hmm...interesting.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
areyouwishing said:
First thing I do when i get mine is stick a 7200 RPM hard drive in it, and a 512 stick.

They make 2.5" 7200RPM hard drives?

you people who got mini's in the mail... did you order WAY early, or kinda early, or what?

Just trying to figure out what shipping times are. Of course, I don't know what to hope for-on the one hand, I desperatley want potential windows switchers not to encounter the incredibly delayed apple shipping we are used to, not in the least. On the other hand, apple has the capacity to make X computers, so if they can't keep up with demand, that means demand is super high, and it sure doesn't hurt hype to be behind demand...

Of course, it's probably all mac users who bought before actually seeing them, etc.... so who knows. lets hope demand is building, rather than just peaking initially, and slowly sagging (the usual mac cycle)

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Macrumors said:
At this point, this remains pure speculation.

I believe this to be peoples' imaginations running away with them. Let's examine this.

It's hard to tell how many pins there are for the power connector, but based on the pictures on apple's web site there appears to be as many as 10. One other person suggested 8. I'll go ahead and stick with the seemingly maximum number.

At least 1 pin will be used for grounding - connecting the jacket of the power cord to the chassis of the mini. It's possible that there may be a redundant pin for this (just to be safe. Very common in electronics today). So we'll say there are 2 pins used for jacket/chassis grounding. That leaves 8 pins.

Computers require two different voltage levels from the power supply. Most PCs use a +12 voltage rail and a reference ground for the motherboard, and a totally seperate +5 voltage rail and a different reference ground for the hard drive. Or it could be the other way around. Regardless, that would explain away a further 4 pins. I can hear people saying to me now, "but anubis!!!!111 my MAC is only plugged into the wall with 3 prongs!!!11 how can my puter have more than one voltage lol". Take a look inside any standard power supply (G4 for instance) and you'll notice about 20 wires coming out of the thing. Have you ever seen a motherboard power connector for a PC? It's got about 12-14 connectors on it. Power supplies for computers output a variety of voltages to accomodate various components. In this case, the power supply for the Mini is external and provides all of the voltages to the mini externally, requiring at least 4 pins for 2 different voltage levels. Additional voltages may be used, but I'll err on the side of caution.

We're now down to 2-4 extra pins for the power connector. It hadly seems enough to add or anticipate any extra features. Let me offer some less fantastic-but-more-realistic suggestions:

1. The extra pins may serve as a communications channel to the power supply for diagnostic purposes.
2. The mac mini requires more than the absolute minimum 2 voltage levels.
3. Additional grounding may be required.
4. The most likely explaination at this juncture: the extra pins are not used.

Think of it this way. There are many everyday connectors we use that have extra, unused pins. VGA only requires 11 pins, but standard VGA connectors are 15 pins.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but before the rumor sites run wild with the possibility of network your iPod over power lines, or something, I'd suggest that the extra pins are a non-story.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
i think the mini has the potential to make a significant impact on the market; that being said, I think im going to buy some stock in freescale semiconductors, who are supplying apple with G4 processors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.