PDA

View Full Version : Blu-Ray on G4 PowerMacs

TyleRomeo
Jan 20, 2005, 10:40 PM
Will Blu-Ray drives be able to run on G4 macs ATA-33 connection. (esp. MDD that share two drives on the ATA-33 connection) Im not to sure about this but ata supports upto 33MB/s. Now 16x burners run at around 21MB/s i think. So will we need to use our ata 66 but to burn 25GB or 50GB disks by early next year?

Tyler

Bear
Jan 21, 2005, 07:13 AM
Will Blu-Ray drives be able to run on G4 macs ATA-33 connection. (esp. MDD that share two drives on the ATA-33 connection) Im not to sure about this but ata supports upto 33MB/s. Now 16x burners run at around 21MB/s i think. So will we need to use our ata 66 but to burn 25GB or 50GB disks by early next year?

TylerIt all depends on how fast you want to burn the discs.

In truth, I'm not sure that burning a DVD faster than 8x is a good idea. and anyway at 8x, the DVD will burn in about 8 minutes. At 16x, there's more of a chance to burn coasters.

It's the same reason I don't mind burning CDs at "only" 32x.

TyleRomeo
Jan 21, 2005, 08:00 AM
It all depends on how fast you want to burn the discs.

In truth, I'm not sure that burning a DVD faster than 8x is a good idea. and anyway at 8x, the DVD will burn in about 8 minutes. At 16x, there's more of a chance to burn coasters.

It's the same reason I don't mind burning CDs at "only" 32x.

i understand the slower you burn the higher % that the disk will burn right. But try burning 25GB Blu-Ray disk at 10MB/s. And what the 50GB disks. People aren't going to wait 2 hours to burn HD disks. It all depends on how fast we will be able to on our macs.

Tyler

varmit
Jan 21, 2005, 08:11 AM
Well, with blue-ray, you can get more info on the disk, so at 8X, it should take twice as long as it does now to get all the info onto the disk.

Bear
Jan 21, 2005, 08:28 AM
i understand the slower you burn the higher % that the disk will burn right. But try burning 25GB Blu-Ray disk at 10MB/s. And what the 50GB disks. People aren't going to wait 2 hours to burn HD disks. It all depends on how fast we will be able to on our macs.

TylerAt 8x DVD-R transfer rates, 25GB should take about 43 minutes and 50GB about and hour and a half.

1x on CD=Number of minutes of music (80 minutes for 700MB CD-R)
1x on DVD=1 hour (Video best picture=1 hour of Video?)
so 1x on Blu-Ray will probably be equal to however many hours of video it stores in it's best picture mode.

TyleRomeo
Jan 21, 2005, 08:44 AM
At 8x DVD-R transfer rates, 25GB should take about 43 minutes and 50GB about and hour and a half.

1x on CD=Number of minutes of music (80 minutes for 700MB CD-R)
1x on DVD=1 hour (Video best picture=1 hour of Video?)
so 1x on Blu-Ray will probably be equal to however many hours of video it stores in it's best picture mode.

1x dvd-r is 1.385MB/s
8x 11.08 MB/s
16x 22.16 MB/s

forget trying to calc. this with time on the disks. DVDs can hold 1 hour, or 4 hours, it all depends on the compresion. its really all about max. storage. its how fast 16x dvd-r can burn 4.35GB.

I just want to know how to prepare my MDD for blue-ray since I think the shared ATA-33 bus wont be enough. is it going to run of the ata-66 bus or do you need serial ATA for these drives. cause 150MB/s should be enough for quite some time.

Tyler

yippy
Jan 21, 2005, 09:51 AM
I don't know where you got those ATA speeds. The MDD has an ATA-66 for the optical drive bays and 2 ATA-100 buses for the hard drives.

TyleRomeo
Jan 21, 2005, 10:19 AM
I don't know where you got those ATA speeds. The MDD has an ATA-66 for the optical drive bays and 2 ATA-100 buses for the hard drives.

nope, check the apple specs. ata 33 ata 66 and ata 100 2 drives per channel= 6 total drives in the MDD.

Tyler

yippy
Jan 21, 2005, 12:18 PM
Ok, you are right, I guess MacTracker is wrong. It took a bit of digging to find those specs, most places it didn't list the optical drive interface.

What about getting a long cable and running it off of one of the faster ATA/66 or ATA/100 buses that are built in. It would save you the cost of a PCI controller.

TyleRomeo
Jan 21, 2005, 02:01 PM
Ok, you are right, I guess MacTracker is wrong. It took a bit of digging to find those specs, most places it didn't list the optical drive interface.

What about getting a long cable and running it off of one of the faster ATA/66 or ATA/100 buses that are built in. It would save you the cost of a PCI controller.

youre not supposed to mix ATA controlers with hard disk and optical drives. And I already have 3 internal ata hard drives.

Tyler