Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpumbaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
Hey guys, I just bought a used G3 iBook... it'll be my first Mac. I was wondering if there was a good Mac OS X 10.3 guide you guys could recommend (online and free). Thanks for any help... looking foward to finally getting a Mac.

Smallville

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2004
I also recommend "Missing Manual." Got it for my mom when she bought her laptop, and now she may know more than I do about Panther! :)

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
bigpumbaa said:
Hey guys, I just bought a used G3 iBook... it'll be my first Mac. I was wondering if there was a good Mac OS X 10.3 guide you guys could recommend (online and free). Thanks for any help... looking foward to finally getting a Mac.

I found all three of these books quite helpful. The first one especially is very good for those who have no prior computer experience. The other two go into Panther in much greater detail.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0764543938/103-8011317-9745453

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/102-4376513-6994515?v=glance&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321232968/002-9809448-2612023?v=glance

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
Welcome to Macintosh!

I don't know of any free books, sorry.

For the most basic stuff, you could go to Apple's website, and look for an electronic copy of the booklet that came with your iBook when it was new. Very basic.

I'm sure others will have better suggestions - I just wanted to welcome you aboard.

This site is a wealth of information - and a fair amount of cr@p thrown in for good measure. Try doing a search in the forums - the button is just up above a bit, about 2 inches from the top of the page, and 3 inches from the right.

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
Chip NoVaMac said:
Not free, but worth every penny is the Missing Manual for 10.3....

Have learned so much from it.

I have the 10.2 version. It is very informative and great if you have the time or the inclination, but....

I hardly ever use it. If you are familiar with a windows (note the small "w") environment then you can do most things you want in OS X intuitively.

On the odd occasion you need to do something else then the Apple KB and these forums are great.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i went a public library and took out the missing manual. at that time, i had 10.2 and the book was on 10.1, but it was still very informative.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
If you install Mozilla Firefox (which you should!), install the Macosxhints search plugin. Anytime you want to do something that's not completely obvious, search in there - it's a great site for reference.

Or you could just go to the website, eitherway works fine. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.