PDA

View Full Version : Some not so kind words for Bill Gates

MacBytes
Jan 20, 2005, 11:22 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Some not so kind words for Bill Gates (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050121002227)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

nagromme
Jan 21, 2005, 02:55 AM
Nothing wrong with another switcher or adder... but a note to add:

Just because your employer uses Windows, doesn't necessarily mean YOU have to in order to do work at home.

Your employer MAY use an app that exists only on Windows. But there may very well be a version for Mac, or something compatible. Macs really do get along well with Windows systems these days.

That writer is, well, a writer... so when she says she needs a PC for her work files, I wonder if she won't soon happily discover that Office exists for Mac :)

MacsRgr8
Jan 21, 2005, 03:33 AM
That writer is, well, a writer... so when she says she needs a PC for her work files, I wonder if she won't soon happily discover that Office exists for Mac :)

Well said: "discover".

So many people out there just have no idea Office exists for the Mac.
Good for her, though :)

Lacero
Jan 21, 2005, 03:38 AM
How do these people get jobs? Ok, that was a loaded question. :)

winmacguy
Jan 21, 2005, 03:42 AM
Agreed. How ever if anyone wants to emil her and let her know that she can use Office for Mac..... cindymcmanus@gmail.com

mpw
Jan 21, 2005, 04:05 AM
Like the writer Iím required to use Windows at work and prior to getting my first Mac about 3years ago Iíd had Windows PCís at home for more than 10years.

In all that time I never lost data that had already been saved to my hard drive a few times Iíd lost stuff not yet saved due to crashing.

I use Appleís software for a number of reasons itís easy to use, it seems to have a longevity that Windows doesnít (hardware), it does everything (that I could reasonably expect from any PC) I want out of the box, it looks and Ďfeelsí fantastic but most importantly once Iíd added up the cost of a Windows box that matched my expectations of my Mac it was good value.

As far as compatibility I really donít experience any problems other than websites that arenít written for use with Macís (like Disneyís?). But this means Iím not compatible with the Windows user who created the site not the soft or hardware that was used.

On the subject of cost of ownership other than the software that came with my Mac the only extra software Iíve Ďneededí to load has been Office v.X. Itís so slow that itís only used for Excel spreadsheets and to format work done in TextEdit to send as the essential .doc format. Hereís hoping for a ĎNumberí in iWork 2.

ZipZilla
Jan 21, 2005, 06:23 AM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Some not so kind words for Bill Gates (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050121002227)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

I think one of the biggest selling points for the Mac that Apple overlooks in their advertising is:

No adware

No keyloggers

No viruses

No trojan horses

No spyware

No e-mail attachments bringing down your computer

Macs really are bullet-proof security-wise....

Alukardo
Jan 21, 2005, 06:55 AM
I think one of the biggest selling points for the Mac that Apple overlooks in their advertising is:

No adware

No keyloggers

No viruses

No trojan horses

No spyware

I, for one, am somewhat glad that Apple doesn't advertise that aspect too much, because the more they hype it, the more likely it is virus writers will produce a few nasty suprises for us, if only to spite the Mac community.

Add the fact that very few Mac users actually use AV software, a Mac virus could do a fair deal of damage...

Bendit
Jan 21, 2005, 07:40 AM

No adware

No keyloggers

No viruses

No trojan horses

No spyware

I can understand why not. Yes those are great reasons to enjoy a Macintosh these days it's now the reason they want to market. It's true now but it won't be forever. If they do advertise that, they will become popular and they WILL have viruses and trojans. Advertising that would be a guarantee, and it's clearly not.

They don't want to sell their product on the fact that "well windows is affected by this and we aren't" It's just not apple's style. Less the journalists make empty promises of a virus free future on a Mac.

Yvan256
Jan 21, 2005, 08:36 AM
As far as compatibility I really don’t experience any problems other than websites that aren’t written for use with Mac’s (like Disney’s?). But this means I’m not compatible with the Windows user who created the site not the soft or hardware that was used.

This is FAR from being a mere "Mac vs Windows" problem. The fact is, not everyone on Windows is free from this problem either. A lot of people are dropping Microsoft Internet Explorer and switching to either FireFox or Opera (and other obscure browsers), and we do encounter these stupid "made for MSIE" websites.

Luckily for me, even my bank's website works 100% fine with Opera, so does eBay, PayPal, macrumors, slashdot, etc.

For the very rare websites that won't work with Opera (even when I tell Opera to lie and tell the website "yes, I am MSIE"), I use FireFox.

More and more people are dropping MSIE, so we're all more likely to see these "websites compatibility" problems dissapear gradually.

Edit:

Your location says "Jersey (NOT New Jersey)"...

You live in Old Jersey? :D

Sharewaredemon
Jan 21, 2005, 08:37 AM
Agreed. How ever if anyone wants to emil her and let her know that she can use Office for Mac..... cindymcmanus@gmail.com

I think I will do just that.
:)

redAPPLE
Jan 21, 2005, 08:37 AM
I, for one, am somewhat glad that Apple doesn't advertise that aspect too much, because the more they hype it, the more likely it is virus writers will produce a few nasty suprises for us, if only to spite the Mac community.

Add the fact that very few Mac users actually use AV software, a Mac virus could do a fair deal of damage...

please do not hijack this thread, with statements like these. this has been chewed on, spitted out and swallowed back again.

now back to the topic. i would write her an email and inform her about the mac platform.

and i would inform her that there are people (e.g. in macrumors.com) who would gladly help her out if she got questions.

Yvan256
Jan 21, 2005, 08:48 AM

No adware

No keyloggers

No viruses

No trojan horses

No spyware

OS X isn't immune to adware, keyloggers, viruses, trojans, spyware. However, e-mail attachments aren't run automatically (how can attachments run simply by reading an e-mail in outlook is beyond me), and viruses/trojans/spyware/adware/keyloggers can't be installed simply by being connected to the internet (how such things happen on windows is also beyond me).

Nothing will prevent your average user from installing a program he received from an e-mail, and that includes viruses, trojans, keyloggers, adware and spyware. Unless this user happens to have an account that limits what he can install/run on the computer.

Yes, OS X is a whole lot safer than Windows, but it's far from bullet-proof.

brap
Jan 21, 2005, 08:49 AM
Edit:

Your location says "Jersey (NOT New Jersey)"...

You live in Old Jersey? :D
New England... New Hampshire... New York (New Amsterdam)... all these guys exist in the 'old' world - it seems our ancestors were fairly unimaginitive!

What makes you think New Jersey is any different (http://www.jersey.com/maps/island.html)?

Bad Beaver
Jan 21, 2005, 09:01 AM
Office v.X. Itís so slow that itís only used for Excel spreadsheets and to format work done in TextEdit to send as the essential .doc format. Hereís hoping for a ĎNumberí in iWork 2.

Ok, you may consider .doc essential, I consider it offensive. :rolleyes:

I used to tell people sending me .doc where they stored the file on their winbox, and sometimes what had been written, saved, and then deleted in the document before it was finished. That ususally helped. Seriosly, I have no idea why in the world anyone would use that pile of crap of a format unless he or she is too inadept to find the "save as" chooser. It comes down to "I have no idea what I am doing at the magical machine", as it does so very often. :(

outerspaceapple
Jan 21, 2005, 11:25 AM
hah, i think the beaver hit the nail on its head.

Bad Beaver
Jan 21, 2005, 11:33 AM
hah, i think the beaver hit the nail on its head.

It's a sad insight, isn't it?

mrsebastian
Jan 21, 2005, 01:26 PM
it still amazes me how hard people resist switching?! i've had conversations with people who want a mac so bad, for the gorgeous design and ease of use, and safety of data. of course i try to covert them, but they resist. we go through everything like compatibility, price comparison, etc., and they nod their head in agreement. there is no reason to continue this kind of suffering, pc users, stop it! i swear that m$ is like crack or meth and bill gates is the most successful drug dealer of all time. for those that would say, "but this program or this website won't work on a mac?!" i have two words for you: virtual pc. "well i can't use a mac 'cause everyone else is on pc". that's just stupidity and makes me think of some wise words my mom said to me when i was 4 years old, "if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?"

winmacguy
Jan 21, 2005, 01:38 PM
I think I will do just that.
:)

Good, because I did the same thing earlier.

ruud
Jan 21, 2005, 01:42 PM
how can attachments run simply by reading an e-mail in outlook is beyond me
It's called a buffer overflow exploit, and it could happen in any other operating system as well.

JDOG_
Jan 22, 2005, 03:59 AM
I don't know, as somebody whose been involved in publications for about four years I found this article barely readable. Ultimately she lacks the point about what she's going to do about it or an alternative. To me it just reads like some of the general propaganda on the Apple "News" page.

I switched a year ago and sometimes think about running both platforms to fulfill different needs, but on trips to my parents house or friends computers I'm reminded how much Windows generally sucks within minutes of navigating around trying to find something.

Ms.Whoo
Jan 23, 2005, 10:15 AM
I don't know, as somebody whose been involved in publications for about four years I found this article barely readable.

I would disagree...but then again I am the author... :D