PDA

View Full Version : How many people have an iPad and MBA?

xxRONNIExx
Dec 9, 2010, 05:05 PM
I was at the best buy today playing with the MBA never really wanted one until today. The design is sexy and I've been thinking of buying a laptop for some time now.
Problem is I already have a 64GB iPad, which i love to death and I'm on all the time. Basically I just use it to watch movies, play games, internet searching..nothing major.
Do I need a MBA? No...Do I WANT one? YES!! Just trying to find a reasonable explanation to buy one :)

threeputt
Dec 9, 2010, 05:07 PM
I have both.

wirelessmacuser
Dec 9, 2010, 05:16 PM
Until just a few days ago I had both.

I decided to sell my iPad while the resale is excellent, since I will be buying iPad 2 (or whatever it's called) upon release. I'm a big proponent of Apples 2nd generation products. It's been my experience that even the smallest of improvements make for a stellar enhancement in ones enjoyment.

loslosbaby
Dec 9, 2010, 05:17 PM
I have both. The only thing I use the iPad for is an appleTV substitute..as my old HDTV is HDMI-less.

Otherwise, I can't hardly pry the thing out of anyone else in the house's hands...they love it. The 10 yr old plays COD WaW Zombies on it alllll the time.

Momma uses it as her couch-IMDB-mobile...and surfing articles about acting-out-teens (cuz we have one).

G.

w4rmk
Dec 9, 2010, 05:22 PM
I have the previous generation MBA and a 64GB 3G iPad. I love my iPad for browsing and reading in my lazy boy.

iJeremy
Dec 9, 2010, 05:33 PM
I sold my iPad 3G and replaced it with a base model 11.6 Air. I have all the power, RAM and storage i need in my 2010 MacBook Pro i7 17". I just wanted an iPad replacement with full OSX. I love it. No regrets. Saw no reason to keep my iPad.

xtrem
Dec 9, 2010, 05:36 PM
I have both, iPad and MBA 13"

MooneyFlyer
Dec 9, 2010, 05:40 PM
I have both, iPad and MBA 13"

yeah, me too. They are for different things for me. If I'm on a short trip without much "creation work" needed (ie, a weekend away) then I just bring the iPad -- otherwise I bring both.

xxRONNIExx
Dec 9, 2010, 05:48 PM
I think I'll just pull the trigger and get one as well as keep my ipad. I'm alone 95% of the time at my job so I play a lot of games and slingbox player on my iPad is the best thing ever invented.
I think I'll use the MBA for photo editing since thats my new hobby right now. Plus I feel their both small enough to bring with me at the same time when the family and I travel.

silverblack
Dec 9, 2010, 06:50 PM
64 GB w/ 3G + 11" 128 GB MBA.
Life is too short to wait, wanted it = got it. I don't need to justify it to anyone.

alan111
Dec 9, 2010, 07:03 PM
I have a 32gb 3G iPad and a Rev C MBA. The iPad is my go-everywhere companion, while the MBA is my main computer that I use at home or when my traveling requires 2 or more nights away.

I also have a powerhouse Dell desktop that I use in my office.

dndbrown
Dec 9, 2010, 07:08 PM
Same as many above. I use the MBA to create presentations and the iPad to give them. I carry the iPad for sales calls and note taking during the day and the MBA to do emails, Skype chats, and other keyboard heavy work back at the hotel. Afterwards, I switch back to the iPad to read a book, watch a TV show, or do some web surfing. Then later you can switch over to the iphone to listen to some tunes.

They both fit together in the pocket of my brief case and weigh less than my last notebook computer.

jenzjen
Dec 9, 2010, 07:13 PM
Until just a few days ago I had both.

I decided to sell my iPad while the resale is excellent, since I will be buying iPad 2 (or whatever it's called) upon release. I'm a big proponent of Apples 2nd generation products. It's been my experience that even the smallest of improvements make for a stellar enhancement in ones enjoyment.

Same here; had both, sold the iPad on CL a few days before Apple dropped the prices on refurbished ones and will keep the change until rev 2 comes out.

jmoore5196
Dec 9, 2010, 07:14 PM
I have both a 16GB iPad 3G and a new 13" MBA. I use the iPad for sales presentations ... I flip through an illustrated PDF file, which is something I cannot really do on the Air. But I travel with the Air when, as a poster above me noted, I have heavy "creation time" on my hands.

racer1441
Dec 9, 2010, 07:15 PM
I had both, sold the MBA today actually. Couldn't get use to the small screen. It's a great machine, but couldn't see the screen well enough to work with it.

May try the 13 if and when they hit the refurb store.

jeffg819
Dec 9, 2010, 07:18 PM
The iPad is the reading / general Internet futzing machine. The MBA is for when I really need a keyboard (heavy emails, to do list work, etc.) Find myself about 50/50 in usage. Do NOT want to part with either device.

Mars478
Dec 9, 2010, 07:34 PM
Got Both... an 11.6 MacBook Air (lo0ow) and a 64GB wi-Fi iPad... don't use the iPad anymore.

hcho3
Dec 9, 2010, 07:52 PM
I have both. And I am sticking to them both for a while. As far as iPad 2, I am going to think about it. Apple will have to give me nice upgrades on iPad 2 for me to consider. The front facing Camera, gyroscope and more rams are not going to make me upgrade.

Since, I doubt Retina display will happen in iPad 2, I am going to wait.

mario24601
Dec 9, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have iPad wifi 32gb and 13' Air.

hcho3
Dec 9, 2010, 08:09 PM
Originally, I was going to buy 11 inch MBA and 13 inch MBA, but I changed my mind and bought 13 inch MBA only and gave it to my wife. I am holding on to my old Laptop for next version. 11 inch is good, but I am looking for better specs that I am sure apple will improve this summer with release of MAC OS lion.

MacMur
Dec 9, 2010, 10:50 PM
Bofe

gdeputy
Dec 9, 2010, 10:52 PM
I have both, and enjoy both quite a bit. Honestly, I use both also, but I will likely sell the iPad in mid-late january so I can get the most for it, I'll certainly be buying iPad 2.

Walter Bell
Dec 9, 2010, 11:10 PM
My Story:

Bought 11.6 MBA Ultimate
Sold Macbook
Bought 16 GB iPad

I have way to many uses for an iPad that my MBA just doesn't do as well as my iPad. Their are times when I do not need a full OS, and other times where having full blown OSX is awesome.

iPad Primary uses:
Internet
Movies
Textbooks for College
Lecture notes for College (have the ability to notate them with a stylus)
Hand write notes on my iPad using a stylus

MBA Air Uses (this is my ONLY computer btw):

Internet (when I want to participate in discussions or doing research)
Office work (Word, PP, Excel, etc)
iDevice Management :)
Typing up my handwritten notes (One of the ways that I learn, repetition)
And many other tasks.

I probably use my iPad 60% of the time, and my MBA 40% of the time. The iPad offers great versatility and has awesome battery life, where as when I need to work, I use my MBA.

But the ultimately it boils down to what your needs are.

Andreas Grauel
Dec 10, 2010, 02:04 AM
I have had an iMac 27" and an iPad 32gb w/ 3G, but after I heard there is a new Macbook Air out. I bought it and sold both other Gadgets! It was the right decision. I do NOT miss one of the other gadgets. The Macbook Air is so light and fits perfectly in my bag, so it is like an ipad for me on the train every morning.

rhinosrcool
Dec 10, 2010, 03:10 AM
Life is too short to wait, wanted it = got it. I don't need to justify it to anyone.

Well said.:cool:

At present, I have the ipad. In the future, I will have, and use, both.

PreetinderBajwa
Dec 10, 2010, 03:43 AM
I had both of them till this moning, sold the iPad. Will reconsider when the new one comes out.

I was not using iPad enough nor am I using my 11.6" ultimate enough. But of the two I was happier to let go of the iPad as a new one is around the corner anyway.

ChristianJapan
Dec 10, 2010, 05:51 AM
Keep the iPad and added an MBA 11/4/128

Reason: I have 45 minutes to commute one way each so I can "play" a little bit with XCode while sitting in the bus. As a consequence I can go earlier to bed and sleep more ... my "Minister Of Finance" (a.k.a. wife) agreed ... lucky me :D

FortWorthMac
Dec 10, 2010, 06:54 AM

+1. My theory exactly. Except I was half lit in Vegas and walked out of the Apple Store in Caesers with my MBA.

But life is to damn short. Enjoy it while your here.

BornAgainMac
Dec 10, 2010, 07:21 AM
I have both the 64GB iPad WiFi and a fully loaded MPA'13. iPad is for fun, MPA is for work.

hcho3
Dec 10, 2010, 07:29 AM

You must not be married. My wife already said I don't need both and we took my 13.3 MBA. I have iPad only.

Macdctr
Dec 10, 2010, 10:37 AM
I got the WiFi 64G iPad which I currently tether to my iPhone4 for Internet browsing. I also have the new fully loaded MacBook Air and use both whenever I travel for work. They both fit nicely inside my MacBook sleeve. :D

Sometimes it's nice to just pull out the iPad to read or surf the Internet where space is limited. Glad to see others who use both as well :apple:

dime21
Dec 10, 2010, 10:47 AM
I was at the best buy today playing with the MBA never really wanted one until today. The design is sexy and I've been thinking of buying a laptop for some time now.
Problem is I already have a 64GB iPad, which i love to death and I'm on all the time. Basically I just use it to watch movies, play games, internet searching..nothing major.
Do I need a MBA? No...Do I WANT one? YES!! Just trying to find a reasonable explanation to buy one :)
I don't get it. The purpose of a computer is to run the software that you need to use. Do you have software that you need to run on an MBA? Then buy it. If you can do everything on your ipad, then why bother?

ClassicBean
Dec 10, 2010, 12:01 PM
I have both. I bought the iPad before it came out in Canada (hopped the border to Buffalo and picked it up there) and I just grabbed the MBA yesterday. Went for the 11" and I love it. It's unreal how flash makes it feel so much faster than my 2.4ghz MacBook Pro with twice the ram.

My iPad now sits docked on the kitchen counter. I use it to couch surf, read eBooks and watch movies if I'm travelling. And my 2-year-old loves it.

The MacBook Air is more for work (writing, research, etc) and great as a travel computer.

I see them as two different machines to be honest. When contemplating the purchase, my question wasn't, "I have an iPad, do I really need a MacBook Air?" Instead, it was, "I have a MacBook Pro, do I really need a a MacBook Air?"

Obviously, the answer was, "Yes, self, you need it."

GreggM3
Dec 10, 2010, 03:38 PM
I had both the 11.6 128gig MBA and a 32gig iPad 3g. Sold the iPad last week. I also have a 13inch MBP that is going to be sold or used for work only stuff. The MBA is perfect for my uses.

silverblack
Dec 10, 2010, 04:26 PM
You must not be married. My wife already said I don't need both and we took my 13.3 MBA. I have iPad only.

Wrong.

Hey, aren't you the guy who started the "I want the 11" MBA, but... " thread. So you just bought the 13", and she took it from you? I guess that SD-card slot and the 7-hrs battery aren't any good when you don't get to use them huh?

gwsat
Dec 10, 2010, 04:32 PM
I got an entry level 16GB iPad in April, shortly after it was released. I was mostly underwhelmed for a long time and thought I might get rid of it when I bought my 13 inch MBA in October. I am glad I didn't sell the iPad now.

The introduction of iOS 4.2 for iPad was a game changer in that, for the first time, it gave the iPad multitasking capability. This has meant that when I leave the Atomic Web browser to check the weather, or email, or something else, when I go back to the Atomic browser all of its open tabs are fully populated, just as they were when I left it. That has been a big improvement. The iPad still stinks for email, both because its mail app is primitive, and because data input on its virtual keyboard is sloooow. So what, though, if I plan to do anything that requires inputting more than a few characters, I use the MBA.

Despite its limitations, I have become fond of my iPad. It's been nearly perfect for Web browsing while watching TV and for other light tasks that don't require much typing.

jimboutilier
Dec 10, 2010, 04:47 PM
I have both and use both. I prefer the iPad for many consumption based tasks or lightweight production tasks, like surfing, reading or responding to brief emails, taking meeting notes etc. I prefer the MBA for heavier weight production tasks where one is integrating information from several sources at once or where full featured programs are needed.

I think they both have their place. if I could only have one it would be the MBA though.

gwsat
Dec 10, 2010, 07:52 PM
I have both and use both. I prefer the iPad for many consumption based tasks or lightweight production tasks, like surfing, reading or responding to brief emails, taking meeting notes etc. I prefer the MBA for heavier weight production tasks where one is integrating information from several sources at once or where full featured programs are needed.

I think they both have their place. if I could only have one it would be the MBA though.
Your opinion mirrors mine. The iPad is perfect for consumption and lightweight production whereas the MBA, despite its remarkably small size and lightweight is a real computer capable of doing a lot of work, even heavy lifting. I agree that if I could have only one it would be the MBA.

gopherhockey
Dec 10, 2010, 07:53 PM

I love it.

I too will buy a Macbook Air and have both. I also have a brand new 27" iMac at home, identical one at work, and a 27" Apple LCD at home as my 2nd monitor... and of course the iPhone 4.

Wife has iPad 3G as well, iPhone 4, and we both just got Nanos... and one Apple TV just arrived a few weeks ago.

Apple made some good $ off me this year. Next year I'll get the new iMac when it comes out and give my wife mine and we'll be PC-less for the first time ever.

Apple should have made the Macbook air as a convertable touch screen iPad... I'd have paid 3x as much for that.

D-Love
Dec 10, 2010, 10:00 PM
I have had an iMac 27" and an iPad 32gb w/ 3G, but after I heard there is a new Macbook Air out. I bought it and sold both other Gadgets! It was the right decision. I do NOT miss one of the other gadgets. The Macbook Air is so light and fits perfectly in my bag, so it is like an ipad for me on the train every morning.
Whoa. You're not missing that 27" screen? I love my MBA but fully plan on getting a 27 inch iMac as my primary in the future.

tony-0709
Dec 10, 2010, 10:18 PM

I have both...iPad 3G, and MBA ultimate 13"...
Once I got my iPhone 4 this year, I basically let my mum use my iPad 3G all the time,
If you have an iPhone 4 you don't need ipad...

If you get macbook air, you definitely don't need ipad...

basically, ipad is for old or dumb people to use, or people that can't read from an iPhone or iPod touch's small screen...

It's not worth carrying around a large iPod touch, when you can carry around a MBA 13"

If you can afford MBA 13", then get MBA 13", if not then stick with iPad...
Unless it is 11" MBA, then I would choose iPad...

Here is the ranking of choice for myself if I had to choose only one.

MBA 13"
iPhone 4
iPad 3G
iPad wifi
iPod Touch
MBA 11"

I really dislike the 11"...see no point in it...small screen, slow processor...

D-Love
Dec 10, 2010, 10:26 PM
Sad...

The power of the cat is stunning at times. And I'm not talking about the latest Apple OS. LOL.

Meric
Dec 11, 2010, 12:25 AM
I have both..plus iphone..carry them with me all the time...

need a real notebook computer for my accounting software + photoshop + outlook.. just switched to MBA from a pc laptop..

ipad helps me to show my portfolio to my customers... more portable than MBA , can hold it with one hand and type with the other hand... it has a backlit keyboard :) , I can still type/use it when my hands get dirty..

so for me its not an overkill... a perfect combo for all my computer needs!

ABG
Dec 11, 2010, 03:11 AM
I'll have both when my 13" MBA finally arrives from China.

I think most people who have an iPad and an MBA will have the 13". I'm getting a full upgrade 13" to replace my 2009 13" MBP, which I love but is too heavy to drag around on a daily basis.

The iPad does a lot of things well, but for office work its not that great.

Spyharpy
Dec 11, 2010, 03:47 AM
Have a 3G 64GB iPad and got my maxed out 13" MBA today. Each one has its uses. The iPad is no laptop. I use it when kicking back on the couch playing games and using apps unique to it. The Air will be for other tasks that need more typing and doing things you can't do an iPad. I'm happy I have both.

Alvesang
Dec 11, 2010, 08:33 AM

Same here, loving both.

Beijar
Dec 11, 2010, 02:18 PM
Both. But I don't use the Ipad so much right now. Actually thinking of selling the ipad.

gwsat
Dec 11, 2010, 03:56 PM
If you have an iPhone 4 you don't need ipad...

It seems to me that the iPhone 4 is not an acceptable substitute for the iPad because its small screen and virtual keyboard make using the iPhone for Web browsing or emailing for any length of time a chore, and watching videos a near impossibility. In stark contrast, watching videos on an iPad is a pleasure and inputting information with its virtual keyboard, if not exactly easy, provides a user experience vastly superior to that of the tiny one on the iPhone. The iPhone's primary utility, of course is as a telephone with a built in, easily synced address book. As a Web browser or email device, though, its utility is limited to those times when you don't have access to an iPad, or better yet, a real computer.

I agree that those who have an MBA probably would not get enough additional utility from an iPad to justify buying one but I have decided to keep mine because it makes doing light stuff enough easier than the MBA does to justify hanging on to it.

bcaslis
Dec 11, 2010, 04:58 PM

basically, ipad is for old or dumb people to use, or people that can't read from an iPhone or iPod touch's small screen...

I really dislike the 11"...see no point in it...small screen, slow processor...

Have to say I couldn't agree less. The iPad is not an iPhone4. The iPad is for old or dumb people? :eek:

No reason for an 11"? :eek:

Wow, just wow. :confused:

Chip NoVaMac
Dec 11, 2010, 05:23 PM
Add me to the MBA and iPad camp here. They both have their places in my life.

The iPad when I want to travel light and easy. There are times I don't need a full blown computer. Like going to work, my iPad allows me net access and reading of books and such with little footprint. Nice to know though if I need to do some "serious" stuff it can handle what I need.

The MBA 13" (the latest) gives me a light weight option over my MPB, when I need more computing power.

BENJMNS
Dec 11, 2010, 07:19 PM
i use the ipad when in bed falling asleep to utube or take a dump. else, all mba.

bowlerman625
Dec 11, 2010, 08:13 PM
I have both.

Same here. My wife has her own iPad because I never learned how to share well as a child!

Mr. Thompson
Dec 11, 2010, 09:07 PM
11.6 Ultimate and a 64 gig 3G iPad. They each have their place. Especially the iPad since our always flakey Verizon DSL is down again.

Buck987
Dec 11, 2010, 09:35 PM
Have to say I couldn't agree less. The iPad is not an iPhone4. The iPad is for old or dumb people? :eek:

I agree...silliest thing I have read here in a while.

teski
Dec 12, 2010, 12:32 AM
13" Ultimate Air and 64GB 3G iPad here.

gwsat
Dec 12, 2010, 11:15 AM

I agree...silliest thing I have read here in a while.
Yep, when I read the claim that gave rise to all of this, especially the part contending that the iPhone is the functional equivalent of the iPad, I reflected on the arrogance of youth.:)

99 Cent Tacos
Dec 12, 2010, 12:37 PM
I have an iPad 3G 32 GB and an 11.6 MBA Ultimate. It's consumption vs. production with these 2 devices which make the ideal travel and portability combo, in my opinion. Until MBA has instant on, 10+ hours of battery life, 3G, and a detachable dual use screen that can function as an e-reader, it will never replace my iPad. :cool:

RichyB
Dec 12, 2010, 01:57 PM
13.3 mba, ipad 32gn wifi and imac 27" i7. I have no idea why I bought them because my work isn't related in anyway to their use lol. I like the way you just clear all the clutter off your desk and just have your imac on there, with one wire coming out of the back. Then with the ipad I don't need loads of books and magazines spread out everywhere. The MBA just looks good at the moment, haven't really used it much (need to get a case or sleeve for it I reckon, so I worry less).

I did buy a 2.1 speaker set for my imac but they look too pc so their going.

Macs do make me happy looking at them; in contrast my desktop, dell laptop and samsung netbook with their tangling wires are so damn depressing to use.

danielveeee
Dec 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
i have an ipad, and macbook pro 15... looking to swap em out and get an imac and 11 mba

chrono1081
Dec 12, 2010, 02:55 PM
I have both. They both serve their own purposes. My ipad is my lay in bed and play on the Internet machine, and it also my travel machine for when i don't need a full blown laptop but would still like internet like if I go snowboarding somewhere and im at a hotel overnight.

The macbook air is for travel while classes are going on since I need to be able to program and run game engines. I also use it a lot in my apartment for keeping my assigment instructions on the screen while working on my desktop.

hcho3
Dec 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
I have iPad Wi-fi model and 13 GB MBA. However, I am not going to be buying another iPad for a while. My MBA owns my iPad. 11.6 MBA is light enough to replace iPad.

jmazzamj
Dec 12, 2010, 07:23 PM
I love my MBA but I'd rather have bought the 11" instead. Why didn't I?

'cause I love the iPad as well and I'm planning on buying a 2nd gen one, even though I don't need one!!

However, as I can have 200 off of a MBA, I know I will have a hard time justifying 100 difference in price beetween iPad and MBA 11.6" (I'm referring to 64 GB versions even tought I would never buy a 64 GB iPad, for 699 I'd rather buy a 32 GB WiFi + 3G).

So I will end up buying an iPad and perhaps giving my MBA to my sister (probably early next year).

psirix
Dec 12, 2010, 10:31 PM
I'm about to own both a MBA and the iPad, once my MBA arrives next week :) I don't plan on getting rid of the iPad either, nor do I see myself using it any less than I currently do. The iPad has become my textbook replacement for college, and also allows me to carry my notes and syllabi for my courses at a moments notice. I also use the iPad for lesisure reading, surfing the Internet on the couch or in bed, as well as using Netflix. These are things I don't need a laptop for and would be much more of a hassle to do as opposed to using the iPad. The iPad has become a great companion to any of my day to day activities, and I bring it with me almost everywhere.

Where exactly will I use the MBA? Definitely for school assignments, as well as when I'm on the road and need a full fledged computer. I view the differences here as the MBA being a device for content creation, and the iPad for accessing content instantly and entertainment, in a slightly smaller footprint. My opinion could change, but that is how I envision it so far!

LAnMarc
Dec 13, 2010, 03:39 AM
As of 3 hours ago I have both (after waiting 5 weeks for the Air to arrive).
I intend using the iPad on the road (eg camping) as I can re-charge it from a cigarette lighter socket.
The Air replaces a 4-year old Dell laptop running Windows XP.

ChristianJapan
Dec 13, 2010, 06:09 AM
After some days using my new MBA I will for sure keep it together with the iPad.
The iPad is still be better tool (also toy) to read content: mainly Kindle Books, web pages etc. Of course eMail too.
While at work I use it also for notes taking in a mind mapper tool; very handy.

The MBA is used for XCode development while commuting or during lunch break. When back after work the sources will be copied back to the iMac. Thats pure hobby at this point.
I was really surprised how well XCode runs on the MBA. Ok; I also miss the LED supported keyboard as known from the MBP. But not too much.

What I will next time do is a mobile 3G/WiFi modem; that would allow me to also be online with the MBA while on the road. I could jailbreak my iPad or iPhone but don't like that.

Pipper99
Dec 13, 2010, 10:23 AM
13" Ultimate Air and 64GB 3G iPad here.

Same for me, and I'm glad that I have both. The iPad is a very handy device, and the MBA picks up where the iPad leaves off.

Spacekatgal
Dec 13, 2010, 10:28 AM
I do. If I didn't need it for iOS development, though - I would be super tempted to sell the iPad.

mike.t
Dec 13, 2010, 10:55 AM
I've got a 32MB Ipad without 3g, which was a mistake because the only thing I cant do on my 11" MBA is play some games.

might sell it, wait for the 2nd generation then buy one with 3g.

thelookingglass
Dec 13, 2010, 11:46 AM
I've got both as well. Have to admit that I tried to make the iPad my do-everything device and found ways of making that happen through a variety of apps. But, at the end of the day, what I really wanted was something thin and light that would enable me to do everything I need to do without any compromises. The prior Macbook Air was a little bit too big and too heavy. The 11 incher is perfect. Plus, most of the functions on the iPad are redundant with my iPhone.

That said, I'm still going to keep the iPad around even though I've thought about selling it. The girlfriend uses it quite a bit to play games and I don't think I could ever get used to reading Kindle books on a laptop. Also great for watching movies when travelling, etc.

I have no doubt that tablet devices will be everywhere in the future, but the form factor and the software platform still have a little growing up to do.

dime21
Dec 13, 2010, 02:55 PM
i use the ipad when in bed falling asleep to utube or take a dump. else, all mba.

I frequently play angry birds while defecating. High Five!!

zap2
Dec 13, 2010, 03:42 PM
Yup, Air(11'') and iPad 64GB. I've been using the iPad less recently, but its nice to use around the dorm. Also I use it an extra screen with my Air when its at my desk.

The Air is a full computer, and the tablet niche is a different area. Could people get around with just one? Yes, but people who can afford both can find places where the tablet is better then the Air or vice versa.

Forker
Dec 13, 2010, 03:50 PM
The pad is fantastic for studies and a laptop replacement for work... Loving it

Jamie37211
Dec 13, 2010, 03:57 PM
I have the 64gb WiFi and the base 11" MBA - and I couldn't be more pleased. Like many here, my iPad is mostly media consumption, but I also use it for presentations to clients, taking notes, etc. The Air is for my work (web designer) and I've been loving it. I do HTML/JavaScript etc coding, plus using GIMP for graphic design work. Haven't ventured into Fireworks/Photoshop yet, but I will.

And, a little bonus: I use an app on the iPad so that I can use it as a screen extension with my Air. I've used it some, and the iPad is perfect for the palettes, etc. Just a bit of value added to having both.

rahulr
Dec 13, 2010, 10:40 PM
I have the 32gb 3g Ipad and 13.3 4/256. I still use and love both, but here's what changed when i got the MBA. I got rid of the monthly ATT 3g bill on the ipad. Now the ipad is solely a wifi device and use it as such at airports and when traveling when I don't need to write.

Basically at home, I use my 27" imac for all my writing and the ipad for airplay, reading, and bedside usage. My MBA doesn't see the light of day when I'm at home, luckily I'm on the road 2-3 days a week.

Oh, one more thing, I loved the SSD on the MBA so much that I got one for the imac, well worth the price of admission.