Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
hi all,
I have the macbook listed in my signature. since february of this year i have had to have 2 HDD, 1 Logic Board, and a battery replaced. Over the past two months the HDD has begun clicking louder and louder, the inevitable fail sound. Also in that same time period I have had two EFI load errors, and one cannot load file system. The wifi has also be flakey with the need for constant restarting of the wifi. As a college student, I don't have easy access to an apple store so i have been babying my laptop to make it last. I will finally be home this weekend for the holidays and have made an appointment. Do you think that I have passed the point as which repairs are the path to go and I need to push apple for a replacement? Being a student, computer down times can be extraordinarily costly and devastating. What would be the best route to convince apple that this malfunctions have gone too far? Thanks for any and all advice.

also battery door and unibody top on the side of HDD has become increasingly creaky over the past few months. Could I possibly have a manufacturing defect?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I don't think you mentioned why you are bringing in your laptop for servicing this time. Sorry if I missed it :eek:

I'm not really sure who or how you should ask for a replacement. It kind of worked out with me. Basically I told them that I didn't have time to keep running back to the Apple Store for them to get the repair right and that it was almost impossible to come back anytime soon because it was hard to get to. After 10 minutes, he just pulled a new one out of the box and handed it over to me just like that.

Its hard to say what will happen to your computer after this repair. If I were you, I'd bring the computer in, let them do what they have to do, and see how it comes back. If it comes back messed up, then just tell them what I posted above and see what happens. If the computer dies afterwards again, then just call AppleCare (assuming that you have phone support) and try to kindly explain to them the situation.

That's the best I can think of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.