Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hi All,

I had an app developed by a developer on Elance and need to make an update to it. The original developer is unwilling to (I dont think he's interested in small jobs), so I've submitted a new proposal.

Several bidders ask to see the source code before they will submit a bid (understandably), however apart from asking the developer to sign an NDA is there anything I should do to protect myself? I.e. instead of sending the entire project, just send snippets of the source code? Has anyone had any experience on this?

Many Thanks!

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Hi All,

I had an app developed by a developer on Elance and need to make an update to it. The original developer is unwilling to (I dont think he's interested in small jobs), so I've submitted a new proposal.

Several bidders ask to see the source code before they will submit a bid (understandably), however apart from asking the developer to sign an NDA is there anything I should do to protect myself? I.e. instead of sending the entire project, just send snippets of the source code? Has anyone had any experience on this?

Many Thanks!

In my opinion, as long as you have the NDA in place, you should probably be covered. As a developer, even with a small project, it would be important to me to see how all the pieces of a project fit together to be able to accurately give you an estimate, unless the project was VERY tiny in scope, at that point I might just ask for the relevant module.

sparky7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks Ulbador, I'll send them the source code and see what they come back with.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
An NDA is a license to sue. Unless you can afford lawyers and legal fees, NDAs are pretty useless, especially if the other party is in another country. (Other than to clarify stuff between two parties who would already trust one another even without the NDA).

Check the reputation (references, etc.) of any developer before you send them source code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.