Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I just tried to log in to iTunes Connect and was notified my password had expired and was prompted to enter a new one. Anyone else getting this too?

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yep. Looks like a new thing as far as I'm aware.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
And it has to be different than your Apple ID password? Very bizarre.
But if you change it, which I did, it looks like it changes your Apple ID password as well. Just got a popup that my MobileMe password is not valid! Ugh, I think this is going to cause some major issues.

cnstoll

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
Hrm, I changed it too and it didn't change my MobileMe password. Either way..this is stupid.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Looks like apple are forcing users to change their passwords if they're too short:

http://www.9to5mac.com/41667/has-apple-turned-off-mobileme-users-with-short-passwords

It's related to any Apple ID

Hopefully this is the case and it's not everybody.

There is one site that forces me to change my password every 30 days. Not only must it be 10 characters, contain upper and lower and numeric and one punctuation, but you can't reuse a password ever. It makes it a PAIN to keep coming up with new passwords, especially since I always memorize mine.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Hopefully this is the case and it's not everybody.
Agreed. It's gonna be a bit of a pain for me, but I hope it's not widespread. And that bit about it needing to be different from your Apple ID password, I hope that was just a red herring.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
There is one site that forces me to change my password every 30 days. Not only must it be 10 characters, contain upper and lower and numeric and one punctuation, but you can't reuse a password ever. It makes it a PAIN to keep coming up with new passwords, especially since I always memorize mine.
Try this: Sham-Security-for-YY-MM
where YY is 2-digit year and MM is 2-digit month.

I've never seen one of these stupid things that was clever enough to do a similarity test, only literal "all the chars exactly the same".

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Try this: Sham-Security-for-YY-MM
where YY is 2-digit year and MM is 2-digit month.

I've never seen one of these stupid things that was clever enough to do a similarity test, only literal "all the chars exactly the same".

That's actually a good idea. I might go with that for the particular site in question because it's such a hassle.

A bit ago I read an article about a guy who builds all his passwords by muscle memory. This means he has no actual idea what the real password is, just how it feels to type it, so he will create a huge random password. When he creates a new password, he types it a few dozen times in a TextEdit or Notepad to get the "feel" of it before changing it. It's a really good idea, but the concept scares the CRAP out of me. Given, in most cases I can reset the password, but it seems like it would be a huge hassle. And there are definitely a few cases where mistyping a password a handful of times can actually lock me out of the account (which would be bad on the systems where I am the SysAdmin).

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I had to change mine as well. I was hoping that it would be disconnected from my iTunes account but it was not.

Maybe I will create another iTC user and transfer the admin and legal privileges to that one so I can disconnect them. Then reduce my current user to something that has less control like accountant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.