PDA

View Full Version : G5 2.5 dual leaks out - again!

fotomatt
Dec 10, 2010, 02:09 PM
I was one of the unfortunate users of the G5 dual (2.5 model from June 2004).

For those researching why your G5 is freaking out:
Essentially, when a G5 "bleeds out" (also referred to by some at Apple as "a bleeder"), it fries the motherboard. You will experience bizarre problems which will all seem software-related. Symptoms include: strange mouse behavior (short of finding mice poop on your pad), USB issues, failure to boot properly, failure to backup properly, and the huge indicator: the fans working overtime and occasionally screaming!

In 2009 Apple agreed to repair this issue. It took quite a bit of research and documentation of other users who had repairs done free of charge. I took the computer in to an Apple store and in April 09, I received back a computer with entirely new guts. $1200 in repairs.

Now, about 1 year and a half later, the machine is leaking out again. I am in the process of researching secondary bleedouts.

Apple Customer Service - to their credit (so far) - seems to agree. I have been issued a new case ID number and sent photos of the bleed. The rep told me it is being passed up to an engineer and I will hear back next week.

Fingers are crossed and I continue researching users who have suffered a secondary bleedout.

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 10, 2010, 05:01 PM
Best of luck to you. Maybe they'll exchange it for a new Mac Pro.

Lord Blackadder
Dec 10, 2010, 05:07 PM
The issues are well-documented....this is why liquid cooling is still largely restricted to the realm of hobbyist machines. Even the best liquid cooling systems occasionally fail, with predictably catastrophic results.

I know it will be unwelcome news but your best bet is to get yourself a new machine - air-cooled and sporting Intel CPUs.

The Intel transition has cut short the life of the G5 somewhat, or at least made it more worthwhile to upgrade for G5 owners.

California
Dec 10, 2010, 05:16 PM
Push Apple to replace with a new or at least a refurbed Mac Pro.

That is a seven year old G5 and always leaking... sometimes dangerously.