PDA

View Full Version : iPod and a Candaian winter

rhpenguin
Jan 21, 2005, 12:30 PM
I have a 3G iPod that i use on my way to work. Lately its been atleast 0 to -25c whichis below the recomended operating tempratures for the iPod and i effectlively only get about 30-45mins of playback with no eq, backlight or shuffling of music.

Heres what ive tried to get the bloody thing to work well in the cold. So far ive got an iPod skin (the one from Speck Products) which doesnt help. Ive put my iPod in a big wolly work sock and that didnt help. Also ive put my iPod in my pocket and hoodie pocket under my really warm coat, both have not got me better battery life.

At this point im confuzzled.. I have no more ideas on how to keep my iPod warm on my walk to work. What do you do to maintain a decent battery life on your iPod in the cold?

Scottyk9
Jan 21, 2005, 12:51 PM
How much time do you get when it is warm?

I ride my bike here for about an hour in the morning - temperature as low as about -20 celcius. While my 3G ipod is under a few layers, it is pretty cold at the end. I have never had it charge down in that short time, and although I haven't timed it, the battery will still be working later on in the day. (it is about a year old)

I have always wondered if I may be putting my ipod at risk at such low temperatures, but it hasn't stopped me yet. (maybe the shuffle would be better!) Would be interested to know if anyone else has had problems at low temps.

One comment I heard was that a fragmented hard drive can make the battery life worse, and that resetting it and then syncing all your songs again can improve things.

I would wonder about your battery though, and suggest testing it at normal operating temperatures.

Peterkro
Jan 21, 2005, 01:00 PM
Stick it down the crotch of your underpants. :) :)

rhpenguin
Jan 21, 2005, 01:17 PM
In a warm environment, i get about a full 8-10 hours of playback. In the cold i get about 45mins.

Its a replacement iPod that i just recieved about 2 weeks ago since my first one died and have only synced the music to it once so im doubting that fragmentation of the FS is the problem.. Im pretty sure its just that this battery doesnt like the cold at all. Im also considering a shuffle but, if i got the shuffle my iPod would basically be useless 6 months a year because i cant really use it in the cold and redundant devices are pretty useless. And also as a side note, i dont have usb2.0 on my iBook or PowerMac, so transfers are going to be sloooooow.

.... im so not sure what im going to do, but yes... i have considered sticking the iPod in my pants (not going to do it because i dont want any of my extra metal objects down there scratching the iPod, but its been considered) :P

sjpetry
Jan 21, 2005, 01:21 PM
Stick it down the crotch of your underpants. :) :)

Is that an iPod in your pocket or are you just happy to see me. :p

benwa02
Jan 21, 2005, 01:47 PM
wrap it up with some of those hand-warmer things i would use at the ski slopes.

Peterkro
Jan 21, 2005, 01:51 PM
rhpenguin,You have a Prince Albert?? :eek:

rhpenguin
Jan 21, 2005, 01:51 PM
theres an idea.. ill look into that.

rhpenguin
Jan 21, 2005, 01:53 PM
i have whats called an apadravya. Its kinda like a prince albert and a reverse prince albert joined together with a barbell.

Peterkro
Jan 21, 2005, 01:55 PM
Cool :cool:

rhpenguin
Jan 21, 2005, 02:01 PM
i highly recomend it :)

Peterkro
Jan 21, 2005, 02:07 PM
The Genisis P Orridge of Canada I'm impressed(I'm sure you know who he is if not just google)I've been very tempted but a bit of a scaredy cat.

rickvanr
Jan 21, 2005, 02:07 PM
the idea sounds good about the warming pads..

ps, fix the spelling to Canadian :p
and where's my RAM you were to send?

Mantat
Jan 21, 2005, 02:13 PM
First iPod:
I am from montreal, its deadly cold here (-30 for the weekend) and I still enjoy at least 4h of my iPod between charges. I use a two layer coat (polar + gortex shell) the iPod is in my polar 'heart' pocket, protected by an iSkin. If I stay outside for a while it will get cold but performance never decreased. But I must say that my body generate a freaking lot of heat (which is why I prefer winter to summer!) so I dont know what to tell you...

Maybe you could make yourself a small pouch out of down. It would be the best protection possible... Now that I think about it, I have my old coat that I could use to make one for myself! What I nice tailloring project! Oh god... That doesnt sound manish at all!!!

Second: Prince Albert

Arent these only supposed to describe penis piercing? Because it was used by horseman to strap the ring along the leg to prevent the sensitive part being squezed. But I dont understand how the piercing of the genital could be considered a less painfull alternative...

rhpenguin
Jan 21, 2005, 02:20 PM
doh.. extra a in there.

your ram is going to make a trip to the 7-11 tomorow morning on route to breakfast with my folks for delivery to you..

Peterkro - its really not that bad.. Were you considering a PA? I had a PA before i got the apadravya and the worst part about the PA was the recieving tube (think catheter). My 8ga conches (in my ears) hurt more than the PA did if that puts it into perspective.

Peterkro
Jan 21, 2005, 02:25 PM
O.K. cheers. I am relatively serious and can get it free(recommended lots of customers) just I've seen lots of people do it for a laugh then ditch them because of the initial discomfort.

haiggy
Jan 21, 2005, 02:28 PM
i have whats called an apadravya. Its kinda like a prince albert and a reverse prince albert joined together with a barbell.

My iPod is fine in the winter. I'm in K-W, so close to you.

In regards to the piercing...

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO YOURSELF? :eek:

... do girls like it or something? :confused:

rickvanr
Jan 21, 2005, 02:31 PM
I'm in Montreal too, and it is dammmmn cold!

Do you notice your headphone wire will kind of freeze.. and get all hard

rhpenguin
Jan 21, 2005, 02:36 PM
Peterkro > do you work at a bodymod shop or something? The initial discomfort passes quick. Its really like any other piercing ive had.

haiggy > I know it sounds a little wierd but, yes i am a little wierd :P

And as far as how girls like it, most dig it, some find it feels wierd and ive never found anyone who has not liked it. It basically puts a little extra pressure in a few special areas for the woman and excites nerve endings for me. Overall i would say its been a positive thing for myself and my female friends.

rhpenguin
Jan 21, 2005, 02:43 PM
I'm in Montreal too, and it is dammmmn cold!

Do you notice your headphone wire will kind of freeze.. and get all hard

i always found tht the earbuds would get cold and the grill on the speaker would get really cold in my ears. Im using a set of Sennheiser HD590's now

Peterkro
Jan 21, 2005, 02:44 PM
rhpenguin,no i just live in the part of London where that kind of stuff is very common and I happen to know good people who do tats and body mods.Its very much the center of the alternative London.Its 9pm Friday here so I'm off out,bye.