Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
I have been using Handbrake for years and absolutely love this product, especially with RF encoding. However I have run across ~20 DVDs that Handbrake will not encode properly. On all these discs it gets to the very end of encoding, 100.00% and just sits there. I can see the M4V file getting bigger and bigger...it will continue to grow until I force quit out of handbrake. I have tried multiple settings, and nothing seems to work. Is there an alternative to Handbrake that has similar options and does good encoding? Has anyone else run into this error and maybe have some insight to a fix? Thanks!

FYI - I am on a Mac

Last edited:

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Happens to a few of mine. Some are completed after I force quit, others have to be redone. Try rebooting, then straight to handbrake. Most of the time, it was because I encoded to an external drive. If you encode to external, try it to internal drive. Otherwise, I use makemkv, then use handbrake.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
This hasn't happened to me since the days of 24+ hr encodes using my "trusty" old 800 MHz G4.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Happens to a few of mine. Some are completed after I force quit, others have to be redone. Try rebooting, then straight to handbrake. Most of the time, it was because I encoded to an external drive. If you encode to external, try it to internal drive. Otherwise, I use makemkv, then use handbrake.

Unfortunately for me even after I force quit the files are all messed up. I have tried rebooting > handbrake and unfortunately not having much luck. I will take you up on the makemkv > handbrake option. Never used that before but I am sure I will figure it out, if not I will be back for questions. Thanks for the tip! Very much appreciated!!

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Installing MakeMKV was a snap, very easy to use. I will post back after I try to encode the MKV with Handbrake. Thanks again for the tip on what software to use, hoping this does the trick!

for329

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2009
Are you doing 2-pass encodes? I have come across a few DVDs that would get stuck at 100% and when I switched it to a 1-pass encode it would finish the encode.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Are you doing 2-pass encodes? I have come across a few DVDs that would get stuck at 100% and when I switched it to a 1-pass encode it would finish the encode.

No I was doing RF at 21.5, so it wasn't doing 2-pass encodes. I tired a constant bitrate with 1 pass and 2 pass encoding to see if it would go, both just get stuck at 100.00% and the file will grow until you force quit handbrake. I am going to try to convert the DVD to MKV then go to handbrake just haven't had the time to do it yet.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
No I was doing RF at 21.5, so it wasn't doing 2-pass encodes. I tired a constant bitrate with 1 pass and 2 pass encoding to see if it would go, both just get stuck at 100.00% and the file will grow until you force quit handbrake. I am going to try to convert the DVD to MKV then go to handbrake just haven't had the time to do it yet.

Sometimes including subtitles causes weird problems.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX

You are the man. After converting it to MKV, handbrake processed the file without an issue! Thank you so much!! Hope you have a great weekend and a wonderful x-mas...

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
You are the man. After converting it to MKV, handbrake processed the file without an issue! Thank you so much!! Hope you have a great weekend and a wonderful x-mas...

Sounds like you fixed your issue (cool beans). Not sure what your source file is but i ran into a few DVD rips that HB had trouble with, i found that if i ran them through DETOX and let it strip out the movie only and then ran that file through HB that every thing worked fine.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
Sounds like you fixed your issue (cool beans). Not sure what your source file is but i ran into a few DVD rips that HB had trouble with, i found that if i ran them through DETOX and let it strip out the movie only and then ran that file through HB that every thing worked fine.

These are concert bootlegs I have on DVD, which the original source was VHS for a lot of them. It seems to very random, as out of ~450 20 or so will not handbrake. Just glad there is a way around it...:)

I did try using DVD2OneX and rip just the movie and try it that way but it did the same thing, however when using makemkv it worked fine.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
Glad to have helped. BTW, makemkv rips blu-ray too. Same way as you just went through. Might have to experiment a little. Merry Christmas to you too. :)

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
Installing MakeMKV was a snap, very easy to use. I will post back after I try to encode the MKV with Handbrake. Thanks again for the tip on what software to use, hoping this does the trick!

i am having the same problem with sitting at 100%. when using MakeMKV is there certain settings to use? For HB I just us AppleTV settings...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.