Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

When lion is released will we be able to get a thumb drive for the MBA with lion on it much like how we get a thumb drive originally?

rprebel

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2010
Where the bluebonnets bloom
I don't believe there's any official word on how they'll release it, but I can't imagine Apple would not make Lion available to the new MBAs somehow. A thumb drive makes the most sense, but it's all speculation.

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It is arguably cheaper for Apple to distribute software by way of a tiny read-only flash drive as compared to having to burn a DVD, spend money on ink, printing process, etc...

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

When lion is released will we be able to get a thumb drive for the MBA with lion on it much like how we get a thumb drive originally?

Let's say for sake of conversation the answer is yes.

The even _more important_question is how much will the measley 2GB of ram SLOW DOWN you're normal usage?

Me? I exercised patience & waited a few extra days for a BTO with 4GB.

Why?

Because I knew I'd use it for far more than originally intended. Now I have no worries about memory.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Let's say for sake of conversation the answer is yes.

The even _more important_question is how much will the measley 2GB of ram SLOW DOWN you're normal usage?

Me? I exercised patience & waited a few extra days for a BTO with 4GB.

Why?

Because I knew I'd use it for far more than originally intended. Now I have no worries about memory.

You and I are in the same boat. I too opted for the 4GB of ram.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
It is arguably cheaper for Apple to distribute software by way of a tiny read-only flash drive as compared to having to burn a DVD, spend money on ink, printing process, etc...
An 8GB USB Flash drive costs about $10 (retail), while a Dual Layer DVD can be had for a fraction of that.
And there shouldn't be much of a difference in terms of packaging.

Offering 10.7 on Flash Drives might still be a good idea:
Apple offers a diskless computer. And with the MacBook Air's increasing mainstream appeal, more and more customers are going to be pissed off when they can't re-install their computer without buying additional hardware.

"Let me get this straight... your friggin' software is broken - and you're telling me I have to go purchase a $100 external thingy just to reinstall and fix that?"

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I think it will have to be on a USB for MBA users. If they take out the SuperDrive as well for the MacBook Pros, then I'm sure the USB will be the best option.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I highly doubt that flash stick that comes with the MBA costs even close to $10.
Of course not.
Apple won't be buying the things at retail price.
But I also highly doubt that Apple pay even close to the $0.60 or so per writable DVD.

Anyway you look at it: USB drives are way (!) more expensive than DVD media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.