Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stozball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Hi,

I live in Australia but am soon traveling to Europe (mainly London and Germany). Are there apps I can get for my iPhone and / or iPad that contain offline maps that i can access without having to enable data roaming?

If so, will the GPS of my iPhone 3G still function in those applications without data roaming?

My iPad is wi-fi only, so I'm more interested in iPhone apps if the GPS will work, but an iPad app would be great to be able to browse maps offline.

Note that I'm not driving at all, so not interesting in car navigation apps, more so on foot.

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Hi,

I live in Australia but am soon traveling to Europe (mainly London and Germany). Are there apps I can get for my iPhone and / or iPad that contain offline maps that i can access without having to enable data roaming?

If so, will the GPS of my iPhone 3G still function in those applications without data roaming?

My iPad is wi-fi only, so I'm more interested in iPhone apps if the GPS will work, but an iPad app would be great to be able to browse maps offline.

Note that I'm not driving at all, so not interesting in car navigation apps, more so on foot.

Yes, you can disable data roaming and your GPS will still work.

CityMaps2Go and OffMaps both work pretty well. CM2G allows you to download specific cities for use offline and I preferred CM2G to OM. But, if your planning on getting out of the cities (especially out of the area of CM2G maps), OM allows you to download a designated area.

They are both universal apps, so you can use them on either your iPad or iPhone. But, you would need to download the maps to each device as they don't share between them.

stozball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Thanks seejay, I have given CityMaps2Go a shot and it is great. Thanks heaps, and thanks also for the confirmation that GPS will work even without data access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.