PDA

View Full Version : For those wondering: SOLD my iPad and picked up a new 11" = best idea ever!

Bobjob186
Dec 11, 2010, 02:33 AM
So, i've been in and out of the macbook air game since day one, have had everyone they've made every model and at least 2 of each rev. Every time I sell one I can't wait to get one again, it's insane how perfect the Air line is too me. Regardless of that fact, I've been itching to get back in one and so I sold my 64GB 3G iPad and found a guy who sold me a $1000 best buy gift card for $800, had best buy price match an 11" air from microcenter for $949 and ended up paying $41 more to upgrade from the iPad to the 11" air.

What I can say so far is that this is exactly what the el doctor ordered. I have a 15" core i5 as my main machine and the ipad was a great companion too that, but I found myself always going back to the MBP for everything except for sitting on the couch and wanting to check something online really quickly. The ipad was insanely a luxury item for me because I knew if I wanted to check something online that I was going to check out a few spreadsheets and a few work sites that was just a pain to sit and type with two fingers on the ipad with.

In comes the 11" air. My last air's have always felt so fragile to me. I loved them, but I was so afraid of hurting them because of their design. The hinge scared me, the click button on the mouse rubbing the LCD frame scared me. Scratching the metal on the charger/USB port/Headphone Jack/Mini Display port scared me because of their weird angle. This new air though is built like a tank. Strong, well thought out, the trackpad is great, the keyboard is perfect and the ports are so easy to get to.

The ease of usability is what sold me. It's insane how light it is, how small the form factor is yet how much I can do on it. The resolution makes the 11" screen almost a non issue. I haven't noticed any significant increase in my scrolling in excel. Web pages look great. Apps run fast and the battery is perfectly acceptable. 3G would have been an awesome touch but that's probably too much to ask from Apple.

If anyone is on the fence sit down and really think about how much you do on your ipad. This thing can do everything and more, maybe not all the games but Lion will fix that problem. Granted the price jump might be hard to justify but believe me it's worth it!

emotion
Dec 11, 2010, 03:15 AM
I did the same.

I will be buying an iPad2 though. I loved my iPad. I love the Air too but there's something about the iPad that's difficult to explain.

Doesn't replace a phone, or a laptop but is a device that's still necessary.

Each to their own :)

btw. I'mm amazed at how rock solid this Air is, both in build and in how it operates. A lovely laptop.

roach808
Dec 11, 2010, 03:53 AM
Did the same. Love the 11" MBA.

double329
Dec 11, 2010, 07:11 AM
I think there are many people have done the same thing including my self. However, I opt to get 13 Ultimate instead of 11" after some thinking(was planning on getting 11"). I also want to get the iPad 2 when it is released :P

BeyondtheTech
Dec 11, 2010, 08:09 AM
Ya, I went the roundabout way. Someone wanted to straight-trade their 2008 black MacBook 2.2GHz/1GB/160GB for my iPad 16GB Wi-Fi. Great idea, I thought. I maxed the memory and hard drive to 4GB/640GB, used it for a few months, then sold it off for $650. Got Apple to get me the 11.6" at 10% off and now I'm a happy camper.

w4rmk
Dec 11, 2010, 11:16 AM
The new airs are great but there is no way I'm giving up my iPad, the Air cannot beat all day battery life and 3G Internet access anyone I need it. I can carry my iPad all day with no chargers and stay connected. My biggest issue will be wanting the next iPad that will undoubtedly support FaceTime.

SeWilliams
Dec 12, 2010, 10:13 PM
Yes, I was one of those who abandoned the Ipad for the 11" McAir. Best decision I ever made.

But I fault myself as I was one of those who believed I could use the Ipad as a laptop replacement, that is to do Wordprocessing activity. Naught.

Got the 11" McAir and to me it has the same footprint as the Ipad in terms of portability and I have a complete laptop at my disposal to do all of my word processing and other computing.

To be quite frank, I never could figure out a real use (need) for the Ipad. It could not satisfy my computing needs and for carrying around photos and light internet browsing, it simply was easier and more convenient to use my smartphone.

Got to the point that the Ipad simply sat in my closet. But the McAir goes everywhere with me allowing me to pop open the lid and get work done wherever I am at.

Philalbe
Dec 12, 2010, 10:43 PM
The new airs are great but there is no way I'm giving up my iPad, the Air cannot beat all day battery life and 3G Internet access anyone I need it. I can carry my iPad all day with no chargers and stay connected. My biggest issue will be wanting the next iPad that will undoubtedly support FaceTime.

I recently got an Air, but still can't bring myself to part with my iPad. As stated above the battery life is exceptional. Also it's a super slick e-reader. Reading books on an iphone or Mac isn't the same experience as reading one on the iPad. I wish I didn't like it so much, because I'd like to recoup some of the money I spent on the air, but I just can't do it :p

BeyondtheTech
Dec 13, 2010, 07:45 AM
I'm not the jailbreaking type, but if Apple added native BT/USB mouse support to the iPad, I may never have canceled my grandfathered $30 data plan and never got the Air.

I was using the iPad 3G as an RDP/VNC client to my Mac and Windows boxes back at home, and it was crazy fast nearly everywhere I was.

I was about to pick up a BT keyboard, or even the keyboard-in-a-case setup, but I was really missing that mouse feature because I needed the dexterity and precision to control things on the desktop that the iPad's touchscreen was not giving me.

ntrigue
Dec 13, 2010, 07:55 AM
That's encouraging. I think I would need a Kindle + MBA even then I would get complaints from my fiancee asking where Plants vs. Zombies and Angry Birds have gone :)

klover
Dec 13, 2010, 08:38 AM
Everytime I think I've convinced myself to just keep my iPad I see a thread about this very topic. Argh.

I'm seriously considering selling my 16GB and grabbing the 11.6" with 4GB. That damn computer is calling to me....

BeyondtheTech
Dec 13, 2010, 08:48 AM
klover, you have to ask yourself what your ultimate purpose for the device is.

If it's just surfing and playing games and media, or if you need the maximum battery life, the iPad is the way to go.

If you're going to be doing any software development, if you want to make use of a camera, if you want to use any particular software that the iPad just doesn't have or won't ever have, get a MacBook Air. At least, those are the things that made me switch. I'm sure there's more, but that was enough for me to say, I need to get back to a Mac and the Air was the best alternative to the iPad for it (The MB/MBP is too bulky).

ccsicecoke
Dec 13, 2010, 09:29 AM
I'm going to do exactly opposite: sell my 2 weeks sparkling 13 new air and keep the ipad and Mac mini. My hands always get tired after a long time using the touch pad. I guess I won't buy any laptop in the future

emotion
Dec 13, 2010, 09:40 AM
The 13" doesn't count. The magical laptop is the 11" ;)

I'm only half joking :)

fehhkk
Dec 13, 2010, 10:12 AM
I'm tempted to do the same, but then.. I would have two laptops.... the iPad's all-touch interface is what makes it truly different.
:D

klover
Dec 13, 2010, 11:46 AM
klover, you have to ask yourself what your ultimate purpose for the device is.

If it's just surfing and playing games and media, or if you need the maximum battery life, the iPad is the way to go.

If you're going to be doing any software development, if you want to make use of a camera, if you want to use any particular software that the iPad just doesn't have or won't ever have, get a MacBook Air. At least, those are the things that made me switch. I'm sure there's more, but that was enough for me to say, I need to get back to a Mac and the Air was the best alternative to the iPad for it (The MB/MBP is too bulky).

Well, my decision is going to be based on a few things:

1. I have a custom built PC for gaming, heavy-lifting, etc. that covers those areas very nicely.

2. I sold my MBP this summer and need to get back to OS X. I have software (iWork, Office, Bento, and Things) that are collecting dust.

3. The iPad is great but I'm increasingly bumping into its technical limitations. Goodreader, Pages, etc. have helped cover some file management and word processing needs but they are limited.

4. I need a laptop. I have an old Asus that is about 9 lbs and ugly.

richard371
Dec 13, 2010, 12:32 PM
Works like a charm and don't need 2 accounts.

yegon
Dec 13, 2010, 12:35 PM
Sold my iPad due to the purchase of 11" Macbook Air myself. Big fan of the iPad, but for my personal use - browsing,video, podcasts, zero gaming - I was inclined to a MBA as a 2nd laptop the moment they were announced and couldn't really justify owning both an MBA and an iPad. Plus, I was motivated by the knowledge the iPad resale value will plummet in 3 months - not an issue if I was using it a lot, but it'd nag in the back of my mind if I was barely using it. Sold my 3G 32gb iPad w/Apple case on eBay for 552 (they're 600 new).

The one and only thing I reeeeally miss is reading comics & manga on it though, simply cannot be replicated on a lappy. For this purpose, I may consider buying the lowest spec iPad2, or a cheap as chips 16gb wifi iPad1 in 6 months.

BartZiller
Dec 13, 2010, 01:24 PM
YES 100% agree to thread starter: I was one of those who abandoned the Ipad for the MBA. Still waiting for it to be delivered. Cannot wait to check it out. iPad is sold...it was such a pain to type on it - especially when you wanted to compose longer mails or work in spread sheets.

Perfect for point and click browsing - felt natural. But also somehow slow and a slow response time when clicking and doing things on the iPad.

For me, I learned my lesson: if you want to type you need a keyboard. point.
Flash is everywhere - not on the iPad! WHY??? These stupid battles companies are fighting and users are suffering. Yes HTML5 video...great...not everywhere.

Do you agree or am I alone with this "wisdom" :eek:

yegon
Dec 13, 2010, 01:44 PM
Personally, I rarely missed flash. What really grated on me was the lack of ram, specifically it's effect on browsing. I used iCab, it's good and 1m times better than Safari, but constantly loading everything in a new tab purely so you wouldn't have to reload the original page really began to grate after a while. Got an iPad at launch, was happy with it for a long time, but after running the OS4 Beta's at the earliest opportunity, as good as it was, it made me yearn for "proper" browsing again, "proper" multitasking, play mkv's natively, no more blasted syncing etc. When the 11" MBA appeared, decision made. It accompanies my 15" MBP brilliantly.

jamesryanbell
Dec 13, 2010, 02:40 PM
What kind of money are 64GB 3G iPads bringing on eBay?

PhoneI
Dec 14, 2010, 12:11 AM
Love my new 13" MacBook Air, but there is no way I would ever give up my iPad. Its two entirely different devices. I prefer the iPad when it comes to my nightly casual internet browsing from the couch.

In addition, the iPad is by far the best ereader on the market. My wife has the Kindle and its like a toy compared to my iPad. For example, I have loaded my iPad up with a bunch of books, PDFs, and technical documents. In addition, I read my local newspaper (The New York Post), Maxim magazine, and Mens Health regularly on my iPad.

Throw in the awesome games and other apps. No way I can give that up.

jamesryanbell
Dec 14, 2010, 11:41 AM
The main thing that's keeping me from doing the "trade" is the battery life.

entatlrg
Dec 14, 2010, 07:12 PM
The ease of usability is what sold me. It's insane how light it is, how small the form factor is yet how much I can do on it. The resolution makes the 11" screen almost a non issue. I haven't noticed any significant increase in my scrolling in excel. Web pages look great. Apps run fast and the battery is perfectly acceptable. 3G would have been an awesome touch but that's probably too much to ask from Apple.

Well said. I have both an iPad and an 11" MBA ... since I got my 11" my iPad gets used rarely whereas my 11" is getting used all day and evening. I love it!

This pleasure some get from using the 11" I wonder if it's similar to people's passion for the old 12" powerbook? That was before my Mac days.

thelookingglass
Dec 14, 2010, 09:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Love my new 13" MacBook Air, but there is no way I would ever give up my iPad. Its two entirely different devices. I prefer the iPad when it comes to my nightly casual internet browsing from the couch.

In addition, the iPad is by far the best ereader on the market. My wife has the Kindle and its like a toy compared to my iPad. For example, I have loaded my iPad up with a bunch of books, PDFs, and technical documents. In addition, I read my local newspaper (The New York Post), Maxim magazine, and Mens Health regularly on my iPad.

Throw in the awesome games and other apps. No way I can give that up.

PDFs are a bit easier to read on the iPad for the simple reason that you can go full screen. But this is a moot issue using the Kindle for Mac app. Full screen works great. And I imagine when the Lion update is released and full screen capabilities are unleashed systemwide, this will be even less of an issue.

The other thing I love about the MBA is the fact that I don't feel the need to handle it gingerly for fear of damaging the moving parts in the hard drive. I have seen too many people with failed hard drives resulting from throwing around their laptops too much. Also nice not to have to hear the clicks of the hard drive anymore. This puppy is totally silent most of the time.

Bobjob186
Dec 14, 2010, 10:05 PM
Well said. I have both an iPad and an 11" MBA ... since I got my 11" my iPad gets used rarely whereas my 11" is getting used all day and evening. I love it!

This pleasure some get from using the 11" I wonder if it's similar to people's passion for the old 12" powerbook? That was before my Mac days.

I'll be honest, I loved and still love the 1.5GHZ 12" PowerBook. It's a timeless machine and this can be considered a modern day 12" PowerBook, alas!

LaMerVipere
Dec 14, 2010, 10:44 PM
I too sold my iPad and went 11" Air and I am very happy! True, I've only had it for 24 hours, but every time I pick it up, type on it, look at it, I can't get over the fact that something the same size as my iPad is a full fledged computer. It blows my mind. This thing actually makes me iPhone 4 feel fat when I hold it. Nothing else does that.

I do miss the apps on my iPad. My favorite was Reeder, but thankfully Reeder for Mac beta is out and duplicates most of what the iPad version did. And a bunch of other apps but I won't get into all that now!

This keyboard is buttery soft, and I fly on it like no other keyboard I've ever owned. It's really the best feeling I've used so far on an Apple laptop. And I've owned a few unibody MacBook Pros.

I've been streaming music to it from my iMac, so not storing any of that locally, and even with only 2GB of RAM I haven't noticed any crappy performance issues. It handles everything I throw at it.

PhoneI
Dec 14, 2010, 11:55 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

PDFs are a bit easier to read on the iPad for the simple reason that you can go full screen. But this is a moot issue using the Kindle for Mac app. Full screen works great. And I imagine when the Lion update is released and full screen capabilities are unleashed systemwide, this will be even less of an issue.

The other thing I love about the MBA is the fact that I don't feel the need to handle it gingerly for fear of damaging the moving parts in the hard drive. I have seen too many people with failed hard drives resulting from throwing around their laptops too much. Also nice not to have to hear the clicks of the hard drive anymore. This puppy is totally silent most of the time.

Unless you hold your laptop on it's side, reading will not be to pleasant.

thelookingglass
Dec 15, 2010, 12:57 AM
Unless you hold your laptop on it's side, reading will not be to pleasant.

Completely disagree at least with respect to Kindle books. I've got the Kindle for Mac app on full screen mode with two pages on the screen. Same setup as on the iPad (i.e., I never read in portrait mode). Works just fine for me. Then again, I've given up paper for just about all reading for some time now, so maybe it's easy for me to shift away from the portrait mode of paper books.

PhoneI
Dec 15, 2010, 12:59 PM
Completely disagree at least with respect to Kindle books. I've got the Kindle for Mac app on full screen mode with two pages on the screen. Same setup as on the iPad (i.e., I never read in portrait mode). Works just fine for me. Then again, I've given up paper for just about all reading for some time now, so maybe it's easy for me to shift away from the portrait mode of paper books.

Well, I guess its just a matter of opinion, because I cant stand reading ebooks on my Air. I find the ereading experience far better on the iPad.

I still love my new Air

Wicked1
Dec 15, 2010, 01:54 PM
Well I was going for the 11 but bought the 13 ultimate and this is noisy, also I love the feel of the 11, so I decided to sell my uMB that my wife is using, give her the 13 MBA and I will get an 11 MBA for myself, once question is, I am going for the 11 with 4 GB Ram and 128GB but what is the usable space on the 128 after the OS that may be a limiting factor for me, I need 100GB minimum.

Alvesang
Dec 15, 2010, 04:42 PM
I think it's interesting so many of you mention the iPad as an eReading device. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad (wouldn't trade it for an MBA, but I've got both anyway ;)), but its weight and (more importantly) display are major turn-offs for me when it comes to reading a book. I additionally got a SONY Reader PRS-650 which features an E-Ink display and is VERY lightweight. Reading on it is just wonderful, an experience the iPad (in my opinion) lacks.

I prefer the iPad for PDFs. I used to carry a ton of books to our pen&paper RPG evenings. Now I've got all rulebooks on the iPad, hence my RPG bag shrunk considerably (still have to carry dice and... uhm... well, pen and paper ;)), but the days of heavy lifting on the mage's side are over. :)

Furthermore, I agree on both devices being in their own categories. I take my iPad everywhere, even to my balcony for having a smoke (and it's really cold these days). Regardless of my 11" MBA's size, nothing beats the iPad's form factor in my book. It is however mostly a tool for consumption. Any time I have to produce something on the go, enter MBA (or MBP, depending on the tasks).

Every gadget has its purpose. To me, the iPad is my everyday all-the-time being online companion and I wouldn't want to miss it.

Sent from my iPad. ;)

Rooskibar03
Dec 15, 2010, 05:00 PM
Personally I think they both have a place for everyone.

I love my iPad, wouldn't give it up for anything. Yeah I find myself playing with the 11" now since it's new but I know it will still play second place to the iPad when it comes to quick casual use around the home.

Dumping my BlackBook for the Air is the best move I've made though. I don't know how I'll go back to another full sized laptop again.

cognitivefun
Dec 15, 2010, 05:38 PM
I think it's interesting so many of you mention the iPad as an eReading device. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad (wouldn't trade it for an MBA, but I've got both anyway ;)), but its weight and (more importantly) display are major turn-offs for me when it comes to reading a book. I additionally got a SONY Reader PRS-650 which features an E-Ink display and is VERY lightweight. Reading on it is just wonderful, an experience the iPad (in my opinion) lacks.

I prefer the iPad for PDFs. I used to carry a ton of books to our pen&paper RPG evenings. Now I've got all rulebooks on the iPad, hence my RPG bag shrunk considerably (still have to carry dice and... uhm... well, pen and paper ;)), but the days of heavy lifting on the mage's side are over. :)

Furthermore, I agree on both devices being in their own categories. I take my iPad everywhere, even to my balcony for having a smoke (and it's really cold these days). Regardless of my 11" MBA's size, nothing beats the iPad's form factor in my book. It is however mostly a tool for consumption. Any time I have to produce something on the go, enter MBA (or MBP, depending on the tasks).

Every gadget has its purpose. To me, the iPad is my everyday all-the-time being online companion and I wouldn't want to miss it.

Sent from my iPad. ;)

yep. I bring my Kindle to read fiction on. Love it. I even use a headlamp at night to read the Kindle as I prefer it to the iPad because of the e-ink screen.

I love the iPad for just consuming web stuff, browsing. I use it several hours a day.

The MBA 11" is now going to be my "go downstairs and get an email out or write a blog post" computer, the computer that frees me from sitting in my home office.

JohnRead
Dec 17, 2010, 05:27 AM
Excellent discussion, and I'm fascinated with the range of devices being used. It's a pleasant form of torture trying to figure out where a particular device fits into the arsenal.

I replaced my 2008 MBP with the 13" MBA and that was a great move for all the reasons described in previous posts. It's my only production computer (relationship management, accounting, etc). When the iPad was introduced in April, I was one of the first in line, and my 16GB WiFi model has been a great tool for the type of work that I do. It was also great to load a few movies on it for traveling on the motorcycle - great to have a movie to watch at night in camp.

Between the MBA, iPad, and iPhone I have just about everything I need. I pick the device that fits best for my particular day's schedule. Sometimes the iPad stays home, sometimes the MBA stays home. The iPhone always goes with me for obvious reasons.

Lately I have noticed that reading books on the iPad hasn't worked out as nicely as I want. I'm using the Kindle App, and it looks great on the screen, but for some reason I'm only good for about 30 minutes or so before the weight of the iPad shows itself. My eyes seem to get tired as well, and I wonder if it's the backlit screen.

So yesterday I borrowed a friend's Amazon Kindle 3, loaded a couple of my books on it, and toted it around. Reading on the eInk screen seems to be less tiring than on the iPad, and I really like the small form factor and weight of the Kindle. So now I start the device torture all over again....

I've been considering selling the iPad, but I would miss some of its functionality. It could be that I just keep everything and enjoy each device for it's designed use...

mac jones
Dec 17, 2010, 09:54 AM

Sent from my iPad. ;)

I get a kick kick out of these "Sold my iPad to get an 11" Air, never look back" threads

Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid " Just sold my motorcycle and bought a car! Now I can go out on dates YIPPIE! "

Think it's maybe an age thing....LOL

jamesryanbell
Dec 17, 2010, 09:59 AM
I get a kick kick out of these "Sold my iPad to get an 11" Air, never look back" threads

Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid " Just sold my motorcycle and bought a car! Now I can go out on dates YIPPIE! "

Think it's maybe an age thing....LOL

If you can only afford one, that's the smarter decision. :) haha

snarkyv
Dec 17, 2010, 10:40 AM
I too love the ipad but couldn't justify keeping it when I decided to get the Air. I also figured I'd sell while demand on the original was high. Once the ipad 2 comes out, prices will drop.

surroundfan
Dec 17, 2010, 04:43 PM
Put me down as another person who sold their iPad to make way for a MBA (a 13" in my case to replace my MBP as well).

The iPad was an interesting concept, but there were several drawbacks that were (obviously) inherent.

1. The fingerprints. Unlike an iPhone, which can be wiped clean quickly because of its small screen area, the iPad was a pain to keep clean. Because I primarily used mine for web-surfing and email, the areas where the virtual keyboards were rapidly became annoyingly hazy.
2. Holding it up for extended periods. Yes, I'm lazy, but after a while, holding up the iPad became uncomfortable, especially compared to having a laptop sitting on the lap.
3. No flash on the web browser. Yes, yes, next.
4. The low res screen. As I tended to hold the screen fairly close, seeing the pixels was annoying.
5. Only one app displayed at a time. I like to see who is on and off my IM...

So there you are. The iPad wasn't for me.

Armeniandave
Dec 18, 2010, 08:00 PM
Sold my iPad today also.
I haven't really used it since I got my MacBook Air 11"

I'll save the money for the new iPad or whatever comes
out that works best. There's gonna be a lot of competition
in the next few months so I'm sure Apple's next iPad will
be much better. Can't wait!!

zube
Dec 19, 2010, 06:11 AM
Sold my iPad too but I never really used it. Love my 11" MBA ultimate.

Mirai 11
Dec 19, 2010, 08:31 AM
Sold my iPad too but I never really used it. Love my 11" MBA ultimate.

I see in your sig you've got an air and a pro as well?
Can you tell me how that works? lol

thelookingglass
Dec 19, 2010, 08:46 AM
The problem I have with the iPad, and I have one alongside my new MBA, is that it doesn't do enough to replace a laptop or a smartphone. When I'm at home, I just use my brilliant iMac or my MBA. Both of these machines can surf the web in its full glory and do whatever else I'd ever need to do on a computer. When I'm on the road, it's more convenient to just stick my iPhone in my pocket and go. At least for the apps that I use, there's so much overlap between the functionality of the iPhone and iPad that I just don't miss much when I leave my iPad at home. So then what's the iPad good for? Surfing the internet from the couch or bed? Watching a movie on a plane? Fine, but that's a very small percentage of the time.

Different strokes for different folks, of course. I think the problem is that what I - and probably many of the people on this board - want is something a little bit more robust than what the current iPad can offer. Yes, I eventually found apps that could somewhat accomplish most of what I needed a computer for. But, why go through the trouble? The MBA is almost the same footprint as the iPad. Why wouldn't I just throw that in the bag and go?

klover
Dec 19, 2010, 05:23 PM
Well I did it. Ordered 11.6 (4GB) and will sell iPad.
Couldn't pass up a Apple employee discount that a friend offered and have a buyer for the iPad lined up tomorrow.

Can't wait!

treynolds
Dec 19, 2010, 07:37 PM

I have to agree with this as well, though I have the 13.3" MBA. In full-screen mode and set to a two-page spread, the reading experience is very nice. Not as good as my Kindle 3, but very usable if I didn't have teh Kindle with me and wanted to use WhisperSync to pick up where I'd left off in a book on the other device.

Full-screen mode for Mac OSX is a killer "app" for the MBA, at least for those apps that can make use of it. the new MSOffice 2011 for Mac also does this and it make the use of the smaller screen so much more productive.

My wife liked my MBA so much that she returned he (unused) Mac Mini to Apple and got the 11.6" MBA. She loves it.

So yesterday I borrowed a friend's Amazon Kindle 3, loaded a couple of my books on it, and toted it around. Reading on the eInk screen seems to be less tiring than on the iPad, and I really like the small form factor and weight of the Kindle.

My K3 goes everywhere with me.

:)

The problem I have with the iPad, and I have one alongside my new MBA, is that it doesn't do enough to replace a laptop or a smartphone.

'Zactly.

What I really would want an iPad for is it's PDA-like + more functionality, what I already use my iPod Touch for. For my use the newest generation of the iPod Touch would easily give me the same functionality as the iPad in a smaller form-factor, because of the high-res display. But alas, I won't be getting one because Apple decided in their infinite wisdom to CRIPPLE the camera to force users who wanted a better camera to go with the iPhone 4.

:(

gwsat
Dec 19, 2010, 08:33 PM
I have a 13 inch MBA, not the 11 inch model, so take what I say with a grain of salt. At first, I intended to sell my iPad when I got the MBA but iOS 4.X and multitasking made me change my mind. I use the iPad 90 percent of the time when I am watching TV. The iPad is nearly perfect for casual Web browsing while most of my attention is focused on the TV show I am watching. The iPad is not a satisfactory substitute for a real computer, that is for uses involving a lot of data input. Otherwise, though, it's great.

Walter Bell
Dec 19, 2010, 11:28 PM
I think the major problem with a lot of these people who sold the iPad and got the MBA is that they bought the iPad thinking it COULD replace a laptop which it can't. I actually did the complete opposite of everyone. Sold my white 2008 MB, bought a 13/4GB MBA, and then bought a 16GB iPad + 16GB sd card.

I don't care what everyone say, the iPad blows any computer out of the water for surfing the internet, watching movies, viewing PDF's, and many other consumption type uses. An iPad takes care of almost 80% of everything I use my MBA for but in a much much more convenient form factor.

Also, iPad + iTeleport = Bad ass.

peapody
Dec 20, 2010, 11:53 AM
I don't care what everyone say, the iPad blows any computer out of the water for surfing the internet, watching movies, viewing PDF's, and many other consumption type uses. An iPad takes care of almost 80% of everything I use my MBA for but in a much much more convenient form factor.

I would agree with that. I don't really like reading pdfs on my computer. The iPad is just easier.

I didn't sell my ipad but gave it away to my mom who has found it to be the easiest thing to use to go online. She doesn't need to fumble around with a mouse or keyboard. Got myself a base MBA with 4gb and a superdrive for $900. Xmas gift for myself!

Alvesang
Dec 20, 2010, 12:07 PM

Same here. Your point being?

jamesryanbell
Dec 20, 2010, 12:25 PM
Yes, I eventually found apps that could somewhat accomplish most of what I needed a computer for. But, why go through the trouble? The MBA is almost the same footprint as the iPad. Why wouldn't I just throw that in the bag and go?

Battery life. For travelers, that's *huge*. 5 hours won't cut it a lot of the time.

But for normal folks (like me and you most likely), charging isn't a big deal.

I have three friends that won't make the switch until they see the same battery life as iPad (I have about ten close friends that are massive Apple freaks...lol).

Z6128
Dec 21, 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm thinking of returning my iPad for an 11in MBA too. I have a 13in MBP current gen also and I love the ultra portability and quickness of the iPad, but I feel like it's limited in what it can do (which I'm fine with) but I'm just not liking the touch screen and how it gets awkward and heavy to hold at times.

Anyone feel like it doesn't make any sense to have a MBP and a MBA? My MBP is my media server which I use mostly for iTunes and my Apple TV. But I love the lightweight, instant on of the iPad, so I feel like the 11in MBA has the best of both worlds.

zube
Dec 24, 2010, 10:00 AM
It works great! I use the my 17" MBP as a desktop replacement and I run Photoshop and Lightroom on it for my photography. The MBA is my "portable" laptop.

Beaverfish
Dec 25, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hi Guys and gals,

I'm so glad i found this thread. I have a 64 GB WIFI + 3G iPad (uk) I've been looking at the 11" MBA for sometime, i couldn't decided weather I wanted to sell my iPad and get the MBA just because it was the latest and greatest thing. Anyways i made my mind up and my ipda is now on ebay

Here if your interested.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130468764334&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT#ht_1117wt_1141

I have a question. Would you guys go for the base 11" or the one with the bigger SSD. also how do people find the 11" screensize and battery life?

snouter
Dec 25, 2010, 03:00 PM
I left my 32GB WiFi iPad on a plane and it never came back. :(

I was waiting for a gen 2 iPad, but just got an 11.6" 1.6GHz 4GBram and a 128GB SSD.

No regrets.

I liked my iPad, I really did, but now I have a keyboard, usb ports, a full OS, can watch Flash video on c-span.org, etc.

11.6" Air is the bomb.

No backlit keyboard is the one thing that is really sadding me out.

Wish the Air was i3 or i5 ULV based, though the Core 2 Duo seems ok for now.

Otherwise, I love it.

snouter
Dec 25, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hi Guys and gals,

I have a question. Would you guys go for the base 11" or the one with the bigger SSD. also how do people find the 11" screensize and battery life?

Battery life is nothing special. Better than a laptop, but nothing like the rock solid 10 hours I got with my iPad.

My main issue is that is seems a little slow to fully charge.

Armeniandave
Dec 25, 2010, 03:10 PM
I would agree that battery life is good but not nearly the same as
the iPad. That would be expected though being a full fledged computer.

Does seem kinda slow to charge but the iPad seemed to take a while also.

gwsat
Dec 25, 2010, 05:11 PM
Hi Guys and gals,

I'm so glad i found this thread. I have a 64 GB WIFI + 3G iPad (uk) I've been looking at the 11" MBA for sometime, i couldn't decided weather I wanted to sell my iPad and get the MBA just because it was the latest and greatest thing. Anyways i made my mind up and my ipda is now on ebay

First off, I love my 13 inch MBA and deeply admire the 11 inch model. I also have, and still use, an MBP. Nevertheless, I would think long and hard before giving up a 3g iPad for an MBA.

Thanks to its built in 3G capability, your MBA gives you the ability to access your email and the Web in locations that that an MBA couldn't deal with. Also, the iPod is even smaller, lighter, and easier to manipulate than an MBA. Most important of all, the MBA would cost you $999 up front.

Recommendation: Save your money and keep your iPad.

thelookingglass
Dec 26, 2010, 01:03 AM
First off, I love my 13 inch MBA and deeply admire the 11 inch model. I also have, and still use, an MBP. Nevertheless, I would think long and hard before giving up a 3g iPad for an MBA.

Thanks to its built in 3G capability, your MBA gives you the ability to access your email and the Web in locations that that an MBA couldn't deal with. Also, the iPod is even smaller, lighter, and easier to manipulate than an MBA. Most important of all, the MBA would cost you $999 up front.

Recommendation: Save your money and keep your iPad.

Different strokes for different folks, of course, but the 3G point is moot if you also already have an iPhone with 3G access. There's too much redundancy in the functionality between the iPhone and the iPad to justify carrying them both around (which is what I did for several months).

gwsat
Dec 26, 2010, 10:09 AM
Different strokes for different folks, of course, but the 3G point is moot if you also already have an iPhone with 3G access. There's too much redundancy in the functionality between the iPhone and the iPad to justify carrying them both around (which is what I did for several months).
Those of us who live in the US and have to rely on AT&T for iPhone data plans can't use Bluetooth to tether an MBA to our iPhones. Even if you pay AT&T's extortionate $20 a month extra for streaming from the iPhone, AT&T and Apple have conspired to make Bluetooth unusable for data transfers. The only way to do it is with a physical USB connection between the iPhone and the MBA. Further, up until recently, AT&T's data plan for 3G iPads came with the privilege of downloading unlimited data. In stark contrast, the iPhone data plan is limited to a maximum of 2GB a month. Like I said, the OP should save his $999 and stick with his 3G iPad, especially if he lives in the US and has an unlimited data plan.

thelookingglass
Dec 26, 2010, 02:47 PM
Those of us who live in the US and have to rely on AT&T for iPhone data plans can't use Bluetooth to tether an MBA to our iPhones. Even if you pay AT&T's extortionate $20 a month extra for streaming from the iPhone, AT&T and Apple have conspired to make Bluetooth unusable for data transfers. The only way to do it is with a physical USB connection between the iPhone and the MBA. Further, up until recently, AT&T's data plan for 3G iPads came with the privilege of downloading unlimited data. In stark contrast, the iPhone data plan is limited to a maximum of 2GB a month. Like I said, the OP should save his $999 and stick with his 3G iPad, especially if he lives in the US and has an unlimited data plan.

I wasn't really referring to tethering. You had mentioned that the 3G iPad is nice because it gives you access to email and the web anywhere. My point is that the iPhone also gives you that same functionality so internet everywhere may not be such a good reason to hang onto the iPad if you already have an iPhone.

gwsat
Dec 27, 2010, 09:07 AM
I wasn't really referring to tethering. You had mentioned that the 3G iPad is nice because it gives you access to email and the web anywhere. My point is that the iPhone also gives you that same functionality so internet everywhere may not be such a good reason to hang onto the iPad if you already have an iPhone.
I have an iPhone and use its Web browser and email clients occasionally. I must say that trying to use the iPhone for such purposes for any length of time is decidedly unpleasant. It can be done but it's slow and difficult. I will concede that for email, the iPad isn't much better than the iPhone, which is to say its sorry, too. The iPad, though is decidedly better than the iPhone for Web browsing. Its exponentially larger display makes using it for Web surfing a pleasure. Also, more apps than I have time to name here are decidedly better on the iPad than they are in the iPhone. One app that comes to mind is WeatherBug. In short, the iPhone is in no way the functional equivalent of the iPad as a Web browser or for many other uses, at least it seems so to me.

omniatlas
Dec 27, 2010, 09:33 AM
Those of us who live in the US and have to rely on AT&T for iPhone data plans can't use Bluetooth to tether an MBA to our iPhones. Even if you pay AT&T's extortionate $20 a month extra for streaming from the iPhone, AT&T and Apple have conspired to make Bluetooth unusable for data transfers. The only way to do it is with a physical USB connection between the iPhone and the MBA.

Hm, didn't know they made bluetooth unusable for data bluetooth tethering. Works fine here in Australia (Telstra) but I prefer to plug in the cable so I can charge the phone at the same time. Have you tried jailbreaking?

Alvesang
Dec 27, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hi Guys and gals,

Just to say it once more: The iPad is by no means a substitute for a MacBook (no matter which one), and neither MacBook is a substitute for an iPad. I understand why one has to sell something expensive to buy something else. But don't expect similar usage from the device you traded the other one in for.

peapody
Dec 27, 2010, 11:25 AM
Just to say it once more: The iPad is by no means a substitute for a MacBook (no matter which one), and neither MacBook is a substitute for an iPad. I understand why one has to sell something expensive to buy something else. But don't expect similar usage from the device you traded the other one in for.

Good point here. While I have a macbook air, I do miss the portability of my ipad. And when I say portability, I mean being able to sit and read in a car or something, or tote along with me on hospital rounds and access patient charts and documents while standing. Can't do that with a MBA.

I look forward to iPad2 but will be impatiently waiting for case manufacturers to catch up. Moleskin finally made a case with a notepad built in, and now Id have to wait for the 2nd revision to come out. Poop.

gwsat
Dec 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
Good point here. While I have a macbook air, I do miss the portability of my ipad. And when I say portability, I mean being able to sit and read in a car or something, or tote along with me on hospital rounds and access patient charts and documents while standing. Can't do that with a MBA.

I look forward to iPad2 but will be impatiently waiting for case manufacturers to catch up. Moleskin finally made a case with a notepad built in, and now Id have to wait for the 2nd revision to come out. Poop.
I agree that the MBA is not a substitute for the iPad. When I got my 13 inch MBA, I anticipated that it would replace the iPad. That hasn't happened, though. As you point out, it is easy to use the iPad while mobile. Similarly, the iPad has no lid that has to be opened and the MBAs are significantly heavier, too. Finally, the iPad's incredibly long battery life means that you don't have to worry about it. All that's required is to remember to recharge it every couple of days or so.

I am uncertain whether I will replace my first generation iPad with the replacement model when it is released. Unless the new iPad has some truly remarkable features, I suspect that I will stick with the current one at least until its Applecare coverage expires in April 2012.

foiden
Dec 27, 2010, 01:44 PM
The 11" comes remarkably close to the size to work against the iPad. However, iOS and Mac OSX are different animals and have grown to have their strengths and weaknesses. For me, my iPad is irreplacable because I use it as a music stand sheet reader. You need a particularly flat computer with a nice touch interface to accomplish that.

On the other hand, iOS has been getting insane amount of apps. Even for gaming, it's starting to really come into its own even if not for the same gaming styles as on the laptop. The 11" 2.3 pounds is great, though. I've never held a lighter fully functional laptop in my life. It feels like almost nothing in my hands. Still, the winning achievement is power vs. battery life. With iPad's iOS, I have never had the experience of running software that is typically so demanding and getting the battery life out of it. I've played full blown games on it for the entire day and didn't plug the thing in until next morning.

That's not only hard to pull off on a laptop, that's hard to pull off on any portable system out there save 2. The Neo Geo Pocket Color, and the Nintendo DS. Yet the difference in graphical/audio power and space (plus limited multi-tasking) is not even remotely comparable to iOS.

I like to think of iOS and the new Airs as a little window to where we see our technology going in the future. Our future is seeing more and more powerful devices crammed in smaller spaces while maintaining screen real-estate. Stuff that runs cooler and with better and better battery life, as well. It's been kind of the trend of technology up until now, for the last 30+ years. I don't see it changing.

It's been done by others before, but now it's been Apple's turn to push the industry this direction. It's always nice to know *someone* is doing it.

A Macbook Pro
Dec 28, 2010, 04:46 AM
MBA wins over iPad, but only when you have an iPhone. iPhone to use for small stuff and MBA for around the house stuff. iMac as the main computer and that's the best possible setup. Without iPhone, iPad + MBA is the best combo.

thelookingglass
Dec 28, 2010, 07:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

MBA wins over iPad, but only when you have an iPhone. iPhone to use for small stuff and MBA for around the house stuff. iMac as the main computer and that's the best possible setup. Without iPhone, iPad + MBA is the best combo.

Yep, agreed. IPhone and MBA together cover just about all use cases. Since I picked up my 11 incher, I've barely used my iPad. Tried to use it again last night, but now actually prefer browsing on my MBA. safari on the iPad is slower than Chrome on my MBA and I have to worry about page refreshes constantly.

Also bought a Kindle 3 and find myself reading on that a lot more than I did on the iPad. I was never one to complain about the weight of the iPad, but the kindle is so much smaller and lighter than the iPad that it's a lot easier to carry around. I'm also starting to prefer reading on my MBA over my iPad because the iPad screen makes text look more pixelated.

gwsat
Dec 28, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yep, agreed. IPhone and MBA together cover just about all use cases. Since I picked up my 11 incher, I've barely used my iPad. Tried to use it again last night, but now actually prefer browsing on my MBA. safari on the iPad is slower than Chrome on my MBA and I have to worry about page refreshes constantly.
Have you tried the Atomic Browser app for iPad? I have found it to be clearly superior to Safari. The Atomic Browser supports tabs. Thanks to iOS 4.X's newly added multitasking capability, this means that, even if you shift from the Atomic Browser to another app, when you go back to the browser all of your tabs are still fully loaded in memory and ready to go. I have really loved this feature.

thelookingglass
Dec 28, 2010, 10:13 AM
Have you tried the Atomic Browser app for iPad? I have found it to be clearly superior to Safari. The Atomic Browser supports tabs. Thanks to iOS 4.X's newly added multitasking capability, this means that, even if you shift from the Atomic Browser to another app, when you go back to the browser all of your tabs are still fully loaded in memory and ready to go. I have really loved this feature.

Yep, I have it. It works well for a while and then begins to crash if I have too many tabs loaded at once (which is never all that many - 4 or 5 tops).

gwsat
Dec 28, 2010, 11:03 AM
Yep, I have it. It works well for a while and then begins to crash if I have too many tabs loaded at once (which is never all that many - 4 or 5 tops).
I agree that the Atomic Browser is a little crash prone. I have decided to hold my nose and live with it, though. The advantage of being able to load multiple Web pages at once has made having to deal with its occasional crashes worth the hassle to me. Still, I wish the developers could figure out a way to make the Atomic Browser more stable.

zodqyv
Dec 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
Count me in with those who bought an 11.6" Air and love it, but also kept their iPad and love it too. They are unrelated devices as far as my usage is concerned.