PDA

View Full Version : GarageBand + Electric Guitar on MBA?

linkandzelda
Dec 11, 2010, 07:03 AM
I noticed that the MBA only has one headphone jack. Now is that both input and output? If its not input then i would need one of those fast track things im guessing. I have both input and output on my hackintosh which I can use to record my electric guitar on GarageBand. I hope I don't have to buy a fast track as not sure how it would run over a USB hub.

fswmacguy
Dec 11, 2010, 07:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No it is not input and output. It's just output as far as I'm aware.

Pete A
Dec 11, 2010, 09:35 AM
No it is not input and output. It's just output as far as I'm aware.

The headphone jack has "Support for Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic".
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs-13inch.html

So input circuitry is there. I don't know of an adapter for other microphones or line-in (I didn't search). Sounds like a great opportunity for aftermarket manufacturers.

If you find such an adapter, let us know.

fswmacguy
Dec 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
The headphone jack has "Support for Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic".
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs-13inch.html

So input circuitry is there. I don't know of an adapter for other microphones or line-in (I didn't search). Sounds like a great opportunity for aftermarket manufacturers.

If you find such an adapter, let us know.
Today I learned. :)

I would imagine this would work with other headset-style setups, but I am not sure. Ideally, one would simply use USB.

QuarterSwede
Dec 11, 2010, 10:18 AM
One would simply use USB.
That's definitely the way to go. You'll hit the ceiling on a 3.5mm jack line in very quickly with an elec guitar and get some nasty distortion. You can tweak it down till it's gone but it won't sound great. I did a project in uni recording my roommate's acoustic with a cheap computer mic and even on that he was topping out the line in without trying.

I'd go USB.

linkandzelda
Dec 11, 2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll defiantly be getting a fast track thing at some point. I always wanted one.