Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
I noticed that the MBA only has one headphone jack. Now is that both input and output? If its not input then i would need one of those fast track things im guessing. I have both input and output on my hackintosh which I can use to record my electric guitar on GarageBand. I hope I don't have to buy a fast track as not sure how it would run over a USB hub.

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No it is not input and output. It's just output as far as I'm aware.

Pete A

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2010
No it is not input and output. It's just output as far as I'm aware.

The headphone jack has "Support for Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic".
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs-13inch.html

So input circuitry is there. I don't know of an adapter for other microphones or line-in (I didn't search). Sounds like a great opportunity for aftermarket manufacturers.

If you find such an adapter, let us know.

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
The headphone jack has "Support for Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic".
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs-13inch.html

So input circuitry is there. I don't know of an adapter for other microphones or line-in (I didn't search). Sounds like a great opportunity for aftermarket manufacturers.

If you find such an adapter, let us know.
Today I learned. :)

I would imagine this would work with other headset-style setups, but I am not sure. Ideally, one would simply use USB.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
One would simply use USB.
That's definitely the way to go. You'll hit the ceiling on a 3.5mm jack line in very quickly with an elec guitar and get some nasty distortion. You can tweak it down till it's gone but it won't sound great. I did a project in uni recording my roommate's acoustic with a cheap computer mic and even on that he was topping out the line in without trying.

I'd go USB.

linkandzelda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll defiantly be getting a fast track thing at some point. I always wanted one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.