Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, we noted that Apple has owned the iTun.es domain since December 2006 and with Apple rolling out Twitter integration for its Ping social networking service speculated that Apple could use the domain as a link shortener.

171310-itun_es_tweet.jpg

One month later, Apple has done just that. Users sharing links to iTunes Store content to Twitter will now see iTun.es being used to generate the links for their Tweets. Third-party Twitter applications may, however, continue to display Twitter's default "t.co" shortened version.

Article Link: Apple Begins Using 'iTun.es' As Link Shortener

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
An itunes link shortener at last!

Decades of research and development in many scientific disciplines has gotten us to this point. It was the dream of many. This is why we have computers.

Can we go any further with scientific achievement? What's the point? If this were a game of civilization, the game would be over and we might play 20 more turns at the most.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
When there's room for them I still like the standard URLs, even when they are so long, because they include the song title.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/so-long/id375893768?i=375893907​

But when a shortener is needed, iTun.es is cool!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is such fantastic news. Where I am right now, it's dark and rainy out. But now, after reading this, it's like Steve Jobs himself has parted the clouds and now the sun is shining bright.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Saving ink!

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
ITUN was founded in 1997. Registered their first domain in 1998. Hence my question: how much did Apple buy out their domain for? :rolleyes:

I see. But that doesnt mean they have to have every .somthing. A gaming company named bungie has a website and it is bungie.net, it dosnt have bungie.com or anything. So they could have itun.com

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Maybe I'm just a grumpy old contrarian, but the point of a URL was to tell you something. It used to be that you'd know what file you were getting, which company in which country you were getting it from, and have some reasonable idea of where abuts the file existed within the site's organizational structure.

Now you're lucky if you even know what you're downloading.

I dunno why we even bother with DNS anymore. Replace the URL bar with a google box, and users can just type 'cool ****', or 'teh funnyz video' and be entertained by whatever comes back.

Grumble grumble...

userblah

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Chicago, IL
I see. But that doesnt mean they have to have every .somthing. A gaming company named bungie has a website and it is bungie.net, it dosnt have bungie.com or anything. So they could have itun.com

I think the point he was going for was that ITUN is a spanish company and .es is typically used for spanish sites.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I've been using the excellent Google extension.

It's the fastest, just one click in Chrome and it's automatically copied to the clipboard ready to be pasted anywhere.

Features
● Auto copy to clipboard
● goo.gl history
● Keyboard shortcut
● Context menu
● QR Code
● Highly customizable
● Incognito mode
● Share with your default mail client
● Share with many different services
- Blogger
- Delicious
- Digg
- Evernote
- Facebook
- FriendFeed
- Gmail
- Google Bookmarks
- Google Buzz
- Google Reader
- Hotmail
- Instapaper
- LinkedIn
- Mail
- MySpace
- Netlog
- Orkut
- Ping.fm
- Posterous
- Reddit
- Read It Later
- StumbleUpon
- Technorati
- Tumblr
- Twitter
- Yahoo! Bookmarks
- Yahoo! Mail

Check it out: http://goo.gl/PiyX

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I must be one of the very few who doesn't care about this at all. In my eyes all it does is make any link look fraudulent and I would never click on it for fear of being spammed or phished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.