PDA

View Full Version : Slow 2010 MBA 13" WiFi file transfers

bigzig
Dec 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
I have a new baseline 13" MBA and am experiencing degraded wireless network performance. I know that people have mentioned similar problems with their internet connection elsewhere, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried doing computer to computer file transfers over a wireless network or LAN as that's where it's really affecting me. Doesn't matter what protocol I use (AFP, SMB or FTP), I'm only getting between 800KB/sec and 2MB/sec transfer speeds between my MBA and and the three other computers I've tried.

I don't think wireless interference with adjacent nodes is the problem because I've tried putting the destination computers on wired networks and the problem still occurs. Also, I've experienced the same file transfer issue on two other wireless networks in two other physical locations. There no one else in my vicinity using my base station's channel.

I am seeing fluctuating ping times with my gateway as others are, but they're not as drastic as others (between <1ms and 500ms when I'm 6ft from the AP with line of sight).

Anyone else having these issues or willing to try sending a large file across their network? I find the easiest way to gauge transfer speed is to use ftp from the command line.

RedReplicant
Dec 11, 2010, 10:14 PM
What kind of router? What kind of speeds are you expecting?