PDA

View Full Version : Parallels + Windows 7 on 11.6" MBA?

Divers
Dec 11, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I ordered a 11.6" MBA today (1.6GHz, 4GB, 128GB RAM) and am planning on installing Parallels and Windows 7. I was planning on sharing the optical drive on my 15" i7, but after doing some reading it seems as though I cannot load Windows 7 onto my MBA from a computer that is not currently running Windows 7.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I really don't want to buy the external drive just to install Windows 7.

Thanks in advance,

Divers

thelookingglass
Dec 12, 2010, 02:36 AM
I have no idea if what you say is actually the case. But, if it is, can't you just run Parallels from your other computer and install that way?

Kermy
Dec 12, 2010, 03:12 AM
You can probably use Disk Utility to make an image of the Windows 7 dvd and then have parallels install it from the image file.

Rob.G
Dec 12, 2010, 11:40 PM
Something else to consider maybe.... VirtualBox. Run Windows 7 in a virtual session in OSX. I'm doing that right now (well, Windows XP) and it's great. I run SQL Server and other stuff on it that I need for software development, plus the local stuff on my Mac like Eclipse.

Rob

barrettj
Dec 13, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

I ordered a 11.6" MBA today (1.6GHz, 4GB, 128GB RAM) and am planning on installing Parallels and Windows 7. I was planning on sharing the optical drive on my 15" i7, but after doing some reading it seems as though I cannot load Windows 7 onto my MBA from a computer that is not currently running Windows 7.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I really don't want to buy the external drive just to install Windows 7.

Thanks in advance,

Divers

If you have parallels installed on the other machine, create the windows 7 virtual machine on that computer and then copy the virtual machine to the MBA.

fswmacguy
Dec 13, 2010, 02:42 PM
Your best bet is to use a computer with a DVD drive to copy the disc into a disk image, then just move the disk image to your new MBA.