Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teski

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
You drop $1000+ on a sweet laptop yet you're only willing to spend $10 or less on protection for it when you carry it around?

potentpotable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
teski said:
You drop $1000+ on a sweet laptop yet you're only willing to spend $10 or less on protection for it when you carry it around?
Thank you! As I read the first post this is exactly what I was thinking!

What, do you guys kill zombies with MBAs or something?

In four years of owning notebooks, I've only ever dropped a VAIO once, and that was a blatantly stupid mistake of putting it on my bed and forgetting about it. It's never happened since, and it will never happen again.

I'm looking for a cheap sleeve or bag to carry it around in so I don't have to always hold it in my hands like a newborn child. Even with a sleeve, I'll secure it inside a messenger bag.

barmann said:
Wow, that's false advertising , it's not for the MBA - you can put one into it, same with hundreds of netbook cases and sleeves , but it's not designed for a proper fit . :rolleyes:

Yeah it's not, but the dimensions of the bag are very slim and small nonetheless. The more I think about it, the more I realize that it might be perfect for students like me lugging around their Air and their printed notes and maybe a small textbook. I'm seriously considering getting it now, especially given that there are no other "fitted" messenger bags of comparable price.

arc918

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2010
The OC
I bought this one recently, its great, under 10 bucks and fast shipping. Fits snug, no zippers, encases the entire laptop. Reversible, either black or red.

Recommended!

I went back and forth on everything out there, but I finally took the cheap bastard route and went with the $10 ebay case as well. I figure I can always pony up for a fancier one in the future if this one doesn't fit my needs.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Can you guys recommend a semi snug case for an 11.6 in? I'd like to put it in my messenger bag.

GT-R

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2010
yes it does

i bought this case for $2 + tax, came out to be $2.25
from my local Daiso, which is like a japanese $2 store (if your not familiar)

they have these sleeve bags for all laptop sizes, and low and behold, this one is the exact same measurements as the macbook air. The zipper is a little tight, i might take it apart and have a larger zipper installed but yeah, very very happy with this case.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

potentpotable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
yes it does

i bought this case for $2 + tax, came out to be $2.25
from my local Daiso, which is like a japanese $2 store (if your not familiar)

they have these sleeve bags for all laptop sizes, and low and behold, this one is the exact same measurements as the macbook air. The zipper is a little tight, i might take it apart and have a larger zipper installed but yeah, very very happy with this case.

Awesome!! There's nothing like that where I am (there's only one Canadian store, and it's in BC), and I doubt dollar stores are going to have anything worthwhile...

What's the sleeve bag made out of? Is it washable?

Psychmike

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008

I wager accessory makers love your kind of thinking. Just because the laptop is expensive, it doesn't mean that a sleeve for it should be. Money has to go into initial design but a sleeve is essentially made of sewn material. The pattern (and therefore labor) isn't very difficult (one continuous seam).

The cost of a protective sleeve should only be dependent on the cost of the laptop if that cost goes into better protection (materials, design, etc.). I walk into BestBuy and see hundreds of cheap cases and sleeve for netbooks for under $15 that are made of exactly the same materials as cases and sleeves for the iPad which cost $75.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
I wager accessory makers love your kind of thinking. Just because the laptop is expensive, it doesn't mean that a sleeve for it should be.

Fair point.
And I own an MSI Wind that actually came with a sleeve that's not too shabby - that's a $300 netbook.

GT-R

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2010
Awesome!! There's nothing like that where I am (there's only one Canadian store, and it's in BC), and I doubt dollar stores are going to have anything worthwhile...

What's the sleeve bag made out of? Is it washable?

i believe its a neoprene material, i cant read japanese and i threw away the tag... it feels like any other laptop bag, its soft on the inside as well as outside and i love it vs regular sleeves because it has a zipper to hold it in.

i mean for $2 u cant go wrong lol, i am looking to grab a laptop bag on top but for now it offers protection from scratches

and its probably washable, i dont see why not

Cerulean Scar

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
Folsom, CA
There is nothing wrong with wanting to save a buck, but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I feel sorry for someone who buys a cheap case only to find that the zipper carves grooves into your laptop from the inside of it.

I'm currently holding out for Speck to drop something for the updated model.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Simple as that. I haven't seen any.

Oh, and manilla envelopes don't count. ;)

Just curious that you spend so much on a MBA then go cheap on a Case? Why? Again not trying to poke fun as I am not sure of your finances, but being that the HW cost so much, you would think you would spend less to protect your investment?

arc918

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2010
The OC
Just curious that you spend so much on a MBA then go cheap on a Case? Why? Again not trying to poke fun as I am not sure of your finances, but being that the HW cost so much, you would think you would spend less to protect your investment?

The erroneous part of your argument is that a more expensive case will do a better job of protecting your MBA.

I can find $75 cases that offers less protection than the $10 ebay neoprene sleeve (no zippers). After that it is just a matter of need, style and preference.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.