PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless during download option?

s1akr
Dec 12, 2010, 03:39 AM
Hi everyone,

Just got my mba 13" and loving it so far. I'm wondering if there is a way to automatically set my mac to not sleep during download.

Thanks in advanced.

Hellhammer
Dec 12, 2010, 03:42 AM
What app are you using for downloading? At least Transmission has option to disable sleep during active downloads. If you're using something else, you could use InsomniaX

s1akr
Dec 12, 2010, 03:47 AM
So the setting's app specific? Anything I can set within Mac Os?

Hellhammer
Dec 12, 2010, 03:51 AM
So the setting's app specific? Anything I can set within Mac Os?

Well, you can set it to never go to sleep from System Preferences > Energy Saver. Or use InsomniaX (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22211/insomniax) (keeps it awake if you close the lid) or Caffeine (http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/) (easy way to disable sleep)

s1akr
Dec 12, 2010, 03:53 AM
I will give the software you mentioned a try. Thanks for your info!

s1akr
Dec 12, 2010, 04:01 AM
say, u wouldn't know of any apps that'll allow my mac to stay awake during download and resumes my original sleep timer after download's over do you?

It would be nice to have my mba plugged in for power in the closed position, have screen sleep on but still allows download, then goes to sleep after download is over.

Hellhammer
Dec 12, 2010, 04:04 AM
say, u wouldn't know of any apps that'll allow my mac to stay awake during download and resumes my original sleep timer after download's over do you?

It would be nice to have my mba plugged in for power in the closed position, have screen sleep on but still allows download, then goes to sleep after download is over.

Transmission lets you do that but I think it's only for torrents. When all active downloads are finished, it should resume the sleep timer. You would have to keep the lid open though

s1akr
Dec 12, 2010, 04:39 AM
Bummer! Maybe someone should develop one. One that run on the background where it detects wifi activity and stops the system from sleeping. Doesn't sound too hard. Then again I'm no programmer.

Thanks for the help and the info.