Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I may be covering old ground here, but never the less...

I am just downloading some music (for evaluation of course ;)) on KaZaA on my XP machine, I am saving them all to the same folder, which WinXP detects and sets it so that the explorer window displaying them it optimised for media files.
Now, this is the part I just noticed, in the corner of the media optimised window is a logo almost identical to that of iTunes, what a rip-off!

Attachments

• tunes.jpg
    tunes.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 619

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
iTunes 1 Logo: Disc with 3 1/4 notes
iTunes 2 Logo: Disc with 1 blue double 1/4 note
iTunes 3 Logo: Disc with 1 purple...

Once Apple comes out with an iTunes 4, I would like to see the logo red.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Oh, now thats pretty lame - even the style is simillar. How long has M$ been using this though? It hasn't been around before iTunes, has it?

D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by dukestreet
Oh, now thats pretty lame - even the style is simillar. How long has M$ been using this though? It hasn't been around before iTunes, has it?

D
Since the introduction of XP I think, I don't remember it being in Win2000.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
this is just outrageous! they are so similar that i wouldn't be surprised if they just Photoshopped Apple's logo and called it good. from what i can see all they did was add a few tiny lines and change a few light source points. the MS cd appears to be lightened a bit too. it's even the same color as the original iTunes logo. This is a blantant rip-off. They should sue over this. I bet if we could have a look at the .PSD in MS' graphics departmant for this image on layer one we would see the blue Apple iTunes logo in all it's glory.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 532

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I just made a comparison of the iTunes 2 logo and the Windows XP logo.
FIrst both them side by side as is.
Second both of them but the iTunes 2 one with 50% Opacity
Thirdly both of them over the top of each other, MS on top with 50% opacity.

I wonder if Apple know about this, they are exactly the same unless I am totally stupid and cannot tell the difference between two icons.

Attachments

• itunes 2.jpg
    itunes 2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 461

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Before we make any assumptions I think that we should get the dates of release sorted. It is rather obvious though when both logos are exactly the same. iTunes was released on October 24 of 2001 wasn't it. I remeber cause it was my birthday or a day before or a day after. It was the version of iTunes to work with iPod.

Windows XP I remember having a Beta way earlier than this, maybe term 2, it had the same icon. So unless Apple designed the logo for iTunes 2 really, really early I don't know how this worked unless both companies used a source. Apple would never copy Microsoft like this, so I guess they both used the same source, your ideas.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: M$ - Can you say iTunes rip off!

Originally posted by verbose101
hehehe, I'm glad I mentioned it now, it looks like I wasn't covering something everyone allready knew about.

boom-boom

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2002
Could someone please tell me where in xp I can find this logo, as it is not jumping out at me!!!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
If you just create a new folder and drag a bunch of MP3's into it, it *should* automatically optimize itself, allhough you may have to close the explorer window and reopen before it appears.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I went on to my Windows machine as well, and I get a music note icon but not the other one that we were talking about.

So much for the stuff I said before....

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I have the same quaver note as edvniow. Can you give us a full screen picture verbose101 as it is somehow strange that the icon I got was exactly the same as the one you got.

i completely agree with boom-boom

"I think this is someone trying to stir the proverbial *****!!!"

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Wait a minute...

...before you go blaming M$, the Iconfactory designed the XP icons for M$.

They do all their design work on Macs, as far as I know...

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
don't tell me i spent 30 seconds of my life drawing little red circles in Photoshop for nothing! you sneaky bastards.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Re: M$ - Can you say iTunes rip off!

Originally posted by verbose101

I am just downloading some music (for evaluation of course ;)) on KaZaA on my XP machine, I am saving them all to the same folder, which WinXP detects and sets it so that the explorer window displaying them it optimised for media files.
Now, this is the part I just noticed, in the corner of the media optimised window is a logo almost identical to that of iTunes, what a rip-off!

did u happen to install a mac-copycat theme? if so, it might not be m$'s fault, cuz in lots of themes (including mac themes) the folder icons/pictures change, and on the the sosumi/other mac themes for xp it has the itunes logo in the corner and on the sidebar in the my music folder
i dont seem to happen to find any cd's with music logos on it anywhere lol...
but then again wmp9 brought in itune 3's star system...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Ok guys, BIG f*** up on my side, or should I say m$'s. Ages ago I had an OSX theme installed, which I quickly removed because it looked crap....turns out, it didn't remove completely, there seem to be some rogue icons...:( Sorry guys, looks like I wound you all up for nothing...*bows head in shame* :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.