PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook make up

fjs08
Jan 21, 2005, 07:28 PM
Hi,

I have a Ti-Book, Powerbook that I purchased new in July of 2003, so it is 18 months or so old. I was at the local Apple store playing with the latest Powerbooks and they seem to move a lot faster than mine. How can I find out what's inside mine to compare???? Is there somewhere on the computer that can tell me???

Thanks.

Frank

slipper
Jan 21, 2005, 07:32 PM
apple menu>about this mac>more info

SuperChuck
Jan 21, 2005, 07:32 PM
It's called Apple System Profiler. The easiest way to access it is to go Apple Menu > About this Mac, then click "more info"

Rod Rod
Jan 22, 2005, 02:40 AM
Hi,

I have a Ti-Book, Powerbook that I purchased new in July of 2003, so it is 18 months or so old. I was at the local Apple store playing with the latest Powerbooks and they seem to move a lot faster than mine. How can I find out what's inside mine to compare???? Is there somewhere on the computer that can tell me???

Thanks.

Frank

I'm guessing it's 867MHz. Am I right or wrong? :)

fjs08
Jan 22, 2005, 05:43 AM
It's a 1 GHZ G4.

Pretty quick, but noticably slower then the beauty in the Apple Store.

Any word from Apple about some upgrades to the Powerbook line???

Frank

Devie
Jan 22, 2005, 05:49 AM
It's a 1 GHZ G4.

Frank
How much RAM you got? That would play a big part in it.

fjs08
Jan 22, 2005, 05:51 AM
Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: PowerBook G4 15"
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.5.3f2
Serial Number: QT32815SN4M

Thanks. I do appreciate all the help.
I pasted the More Info sheet here.
Frank

Mord
Jan 22, 2005, 06:05 AM
i would pick up a 512MB dimm. the powerbooks are on there last legs and shall be updated soon so i would wait until they are, also it's the fastest titanium powerbook in existence so it will get a premium on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14909&item=5745031775&rd=1 $1600 and there is time left!!!!! you should get enough to buy a refurb 1.33GHz powerbook without spending a penney,

just wait untill the next powerbook update and see what you can afford.

Rod Rod
Jan 22, 2005, 06:08 PM
I agree with Hector... especially if your machine has no scratches at all, there are people out there willing to pay a premium for its style even though present generation PBs are faster.

fjs08
Jan 22, 2005, 07:26 PM
>>there are people out there willing to pay a premium for its style<,

really!!! Amazing. And I thought the current ones were very cool. I loved the keyboards, although this is a slick unit. And it is in "pristine" condition!! I love collecting these. I have an Apple II Woz Edition all in plastic. I wish I would have kept my old Apple IIC, I believe it was called. Sleak little number.

I'll wait on getting a new one. My wife is looking at mine. She has an old Dell and is tiring of Windows. She just can't understand how Macs just go and go. I can have tons of apps open and it never crashes, and with all the slick concepts like Expose, etc.

Thanks.

Frank

Bear
Jan 23, 2005, 09:06 AM
It's a 1 GHZ G4.

FrankThe new Powerbooks are currently 1.33GHz and 1.5GHz and the have DDR memory.

So with the processor being 50% faster and the DDR memory being over twice as fast you will notice the difference between yours and the new ones.

I do recommend you order the 5400RPM disk with it if you want to get as much speed out of it as ppossible. Of course this may be standard on some of the models coming out.

Rumor has it that the next update will be within a couple of weeks. I'd recommend waiting that long before you order (if you're goign to order that is.)

Mord
Jan 23, 2005, 10:33 AM
ddr dose not make a bit of difference on a g4, apple onlu adopted it for PR and because it's cheaper than SD-ram

Bear
Jan 23, 2005, 10:57 AM
ddr dose not make a bit of difference on a g4, apple onlu adopted it for PR and because it's cheaper than SD-ramAt the very least, the 1GHz TiBook has a 133MHz bus and the bus speed is 167MHz on all the current PowerBooks, so even if the memory being DDR adds no advantage, at least there is a 25% speed improvement.