PDA

View Full Version : 800Mhz eMac - 3 beeps & flashing light on power up

glossywhite
Dec 12, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hi there. My brother has a second gen, 800Mhz eMac (the one that could be overclocked to 1.33Ghz - the earlier PC133 ram model). Since about 1.5 mths ago, when he powers it on, sometimes it will not power on, and other times it will give three beeps (diagnostic pages say bad RAM) and a flashing power/sleep light in unison with the beeps. Did this vintage suffer bad caps? I recall that it was only the 1.25Ghz model that had bad caps, but I could be wrong.

This machine has been used in a smoking environment - I am wondering if this has contributed towards this error (it is also quite dusty underneath and on the vents etc).

Any help would be very gratefully received :-)

Thanks, Matt.

California
Dec 12, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hi there. My brother has a second gen, 800Mhz eMac (the one that could be overclocked to 1.33Ghz - the earlier PC133 ram model). Since about 1.5 mths ago, when he powers it on, sometimes it will not power on, and other times it will give three beeps (diagnostic pages say bad RAM) and a flashing power/sleep light in unison with the beeps. Did this vintage suffer bad caps? I recall that it was only the 1.25Ghz model that had bad caps, but I could be wrong.

This machine has been used in a smoking environment - I am wondering if this has contributed towards this error (it is also quite dusty underneath and on the vents etc).

Any help would be very gratefully received :-)

Thanks, Matt.
three beeps is the ram. I think I have some ram chips for it, 64/128 chips, yours for shipping.

glossywhite
Dec 12, 2010, 03:58 PM
three beeps is the ram. I think I have some ram chips for it, 64/128 chips, yours for shipping.

That's very kind of you, but I am in the UK, and I have spare SDRAM bigger than that here; I just wanted to know the cause. Thank you for the offer, anyhow :)

666sheep
Dec 12, 2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.techbase.iofm.net/tips/applemac/tip1.htm - explanation of beep codes meaning.