PDA

View Full Version : A Moderator is deleting my posts.

mymemory
Jan 21, 2005, 08:54 PM
I post a reply on "why Apple is so behind" and it was deleted later on in the day after I was checking the replies. It is not the first time that happens to me, this is about the 6th time I post something and it gets deleted. Back in October and November was happening very often, in December I didn't post anything because I was in vacation but now is happening again.

I have been in this forums for about 3 years now and I know very well how this thing works but this is happening very often, I thought I was missing the posts and that I was just distracted or something but I am checking over and over and my answers disappear just like that every once in a while.
The only explanation I can find is that a moderator is deleting my posts.

Sun Baked
Jan 21, 2005, 08:59 PM
Sure you don't want to do this with a PM to a couple of the mods?

These threads usually turn ugly. :eek:

sjpetry
Jan 21, 2005, 09:15 PM
Mod. deem what posts are appropriate (and do a hell of a good job at it), so obviously your posts weren't appropriate. ;)

mymemory
Jan 22, 2005, 02:33 AM
The last one that got deleted was actually repeating what my signature says. I was mentioning I got a dual 2.0 and that it was only 30% faster than my 12" Powerbook 1Ghz. And the rest of the posts that have been deleted were just silly coments.

If I had me some rude coment I understand but no of that and usually I receive a private message telling me something and going over the topic. Actually we had in the past very heavy topics that have been on-line with no problem.

I think there should be a "protocol" when deleting a post but now that I am writting this I remember there was actually a Moderator who once (because I have been over this topic before) told me he was the one and actually he did it because he felt like it because he never gave any realistic or practical explanation of the issue. I guess he forgot about it and kept doing it. I would have to check my history of threads then to find out who he was.

edesignuk
Jan 22, 2005, 02:35 AM
There's really no need for this to be public. A PM to the mods would have been a better idea :rolleyes:

Posts aren't deleted for nothing, so a few posts have been deleted. Big deal.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 22, 2005, 07:45 AM
There's really no need for this to be public. A PM to the mods would have been a better idea :rolleyes:

I see your point, as well as mymemory's point as well.

I think this is the right place perhaps for the discussion. We are not just talking about posting an image in response to a thread. In some cases we are talking about serious thought and time that goes in to a response.

For those that have been around a while, we would like to think we know the rules. Maybe some of the postings cross the line. In the end an open discussion is best to make sure that MR remains the friendly place that many expect from our experiences.

edesignuk
Jan 22, 2005, 07:48 AM
I think this is the right place perhaps for the discussion. We are not just talking about posting an image in response to a thread. In some cases we are talking about serious thought and time that goes in to a response. Thanks for that little dig :rolleyes: Just because time and effort is put in to a post doesn't mean it's actually any good and isn't grossly offensive (not saying any were, I have no idea, just saying...)

Diatribe
Jan 22, 2005, 07:57 AM
Geez, my posts have been deleted before... big deal. Usually it is when it goes off topic and after the discussion has ended it is taken out.
I don't care my posts don't have to stay for the eternity to see... or are you running around with a tape recorder to tape everything you say?

I have yet to see posts of me that are appropriate posts that are on topic to be deleted. I cannot judge your post since it is gone but judging by what you sometimes say... it might be for a reason.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 22, 2005, 07:58 AM
Thanks for that little dig :rolleyes: Just because time and effort is put in to a post doesn't mean it's actually any good and isn't grossly offensive (not saying any were, I have no idea, just saying...)

Sorry, I wasn't trying to dig at you personally. In fact I find it entertaining to a point.

As to your other point, it is about respect I think.

edesignuk
Jan 22, 2005, 08:01 AM
As to your other point, it is about respect I think.Yes, but, you have read mymemorys posts right? Sometimes I cannot quite believe what I'm reading :eek: We all get posts deleted (well I know I do sometimes), of all people I'm really not surprised in the slightest that mymemory gets a few posts deleted from time to time.

Wes
Jan 22, 2005, 08:10 AM
Yes, but, you have read mymemorys posts right? Sometimes I cannot quite believe what I'm reading :eek: We all get posts deleted (well I know I do sometimes), of all people I'm really not surprised in the slightest that mymemory gets a few posts deleted from time to time.

Agreed. Sometimes I read the posts and find it the most incoherent drivel I've ever read that has flawed logic to the point that isn't even worth the time of arguing.

mymemory
Jan 22, 2005, 09:42 AM

Well... I think we have found the subject who is affraid to go over this topic in public and who think is not a big deal to go over some one elses post just because he felt like it.

So, I would sugest, at list in my case because I do think is a BIG DEAL, to be notify of the issue when my post is deleted.

Sometimes I do like to pick on some one but other times I just feel some answers goes over some peoples head. Moderators are not perfect machines, are humans and obviously some can be more mistaken than others. Call my attention that edesignuk is the only one how feel agravated by the issue "There's really no need for this to be public".

Again, the last post that was deleted was about me telling the G5 was not fast enough (read my signature) and it was deleted. That shows a lack of principals and is actually making Macrumors other than pacefully place just because there are not rules. If I had the answer of 5 moderators I would say there is at list some sort of profile but I think we have found the one who is acting by his own rules.

So, edesignuk, if you are going to delete something I wrote take the time to PM me (because looks like you feel good using them) and tell me about it next time. Those are called manners just to let you now.

Wes
Jan 22, 2005, 09:44 AM
So, edesignuk, if you are going to delete something I wrote take the time to PM me (because looks like you feel good using them) and tell me about it next time. Those are called manners just to let you now.

N.B., EdesignUK isn't a mod.

edesignuk
Jan 22, 2005, 09:46 AM
LMFAO! Does it say Moderator under my name??? Read! Sheesh, and you wonder why stuff you post gets deleted.

edit: Just thought about it and I suppose I better make my point clear as day to you so as you understand. I am not a mod or admin, I have no control over these forums, I cannot delete anything, and I (obvioulsy) haven't deleted anything you have posted due to the fact I can't! (though I would do if I had half the chance!!!) :p

sushi
Jan 22, 2005, 10:27 AM
LMFAO! Does it say Moderator under my name??? Read! Sheesh, and you wonder why stuff you post gets deleted.

edit: Just thought about it and I suppose I better make my point clear as day to you so as you understand. I am not a mod or admin, I have no control over these forums, I cannot delete anything, and I (obvioulsy) haven't deleted anything you have posted due to the fact I can't! (though I would do if I had half the chance!!!) :p
Down boy! Back in your cage! :D :D :D

Seriously, I totally agree. Some folks choose not to read the entire post before replying and end up missinterpreting what was said. Unfortunately, this seems to happen far too often.

P.S. Please don't delete my post since, according to mymemory, you are a moderator! :eek: ;) :D

Sushi

edesignuk
Jan 22, 2005, 10:36 AM
Down boy! Back in your cage! :D :D :D

Seriously, I totally agree. Some folks choose not to read the entire post before replying and end up missinterpreting what was said. Unfortunately, this seems to happen far too often.

P.S. Please don't delete my post since, according to mymemory, you are a moderator! :eek: ;) :D

Sushi
That's it, I am banning you! :D :p

wordmunger
Jan 22, 2005, 10:49 AM
Mymemory, I wonder if the reason your post was deleted was because it was the same as your .sig. If you can't think of something new to say, you probably don't need to say it.

sushi
Jan 22, 2005, 10:52 AM
That's it, I am banning you! :D :p
Okay. Okay. I promise not to...Ouch!

Hey, that whip really hurts! :D

dvdh
Jan 22, 2005, 01:36 PM
I have been in this forums for about 3 years now and I know very well how this thing works but this is happening very often, I thought I was missing the posts and that I was just distracted or something but I am checking over and over and my answers disappear just like that every once in a while.

In my time here I have had two posts deleted. No surprise though, given that one was the equivalent of a small knife in the politcal backside, and the other was blatantly off topic. So what can I say, usually if something gets deleted, there was a good reason, and would rather that my posts be deleted than me. :eek:

sjpetry
Jan 22, 2005, 01:47 PM
Maybe the Mods don't like. This thread certainly won't help you earn brownie points. ;)

I like brownies. :)

aswitcher
Jan 22, 2005, 02:20 PM
Maybe if Mods emailed regular users whose posts get delated then it would be sorted out offline and come as no surprise to newer posters...but this may have overheads that are too high...

edesignuk
Jan 22, 2005, 04:57 PM
It really is a wonder that your posts (and maybe even threads!) get deleted isn't it!? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=106434)

V.A.Toss
Jan 22, 2005, 06:37 PM
It really is a wonder that your posts (and maybe even threads!) get deleted isn't it!? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=106434)

Awful thread, one of the worst ive ever seen infact. Though i must admit, its sheer cruddiness had me laughing for a while.

I had a message of mine edited for being "obscene". It was about where the best place was to fit an ipod-shuffle, if it vibrated.

Oh well. My point is if you dont like it here then just find another forum. Thats my opinion.

I notice your avatar edesign, for a bloke from essex you have quite an eye for beauty. Who would have thought it eh. ;)

virividox
Jan 22, 2005, 06:43 PM
get over it

Flowbee
Jan 22, 2005, 06:52 PM

You're lucky a mod hasn't deleted your account.

sjpetry
Jan 22, 2005, 06:59 PM

Give it some time. :p ;)

Mr. Anderson
Jan 22, 2005, 09:43 PM
Sure you don't want to do this with a PM to a couple of the mods?

Yes, that's the best approach. If you have issues take it up with the people that actually might have done the deletion and not make it a public spectacle. There are so many posts that get deleted, you might be surprised. And it could have been for many reasons, spam, response to spam (that's a big one) or something rude.

Usually, when a post is deleted, its left there for the mods to see - in this case its not. I can't find it and it might have been permanently removed, sorry.

So relax and move on. You have any questions, I'd suggest pm'ing the other mods and see if they remember.

Well... I think we have found the subject who is affraid to go over this topic in public and who think is not a big deal to go over some one elses post just because he felt like it.

Like I said, this really isn't a public topic. Lighten up - if you didn't get a response or reason for the deletion, try not to worry about it. There is so much crap we have to take care of daily, the last thing I'm going to worry about is if someone gets a reason we did something to one of their posts. Do you think we like spending time cleaning up the mess?

Bleh,

D

sjpetry
Jan 22, 2005, 09:47 PM
Mymemory you just got owned. :)

combatcolin
Jan 23, 2005, 05:24 PM
I've had posts deleted before, quite surprised as they were little things and no great rants/abusive comments.

Surpose if a mod gets up in a mood... :(

sethypoo
Jan 23, 2005, 06:07 PM

Jeez people, get off his back. Almost everyone here seems to be on a "bash MyMemory" kick.

Granted, a number of his posts aren't the most tasteful of things, but please, let's stop provoking him. It has got to be hard to have so many MR members putting him down.

"He who is without sin....." :)

Flowbee
Jan 23, 2005, 08:20 PM
Jeez people, get off his back. Almost everyone here seems to be on a "bash MyMemory" kick.

I'm not sure how my comment was "bashing" mymemory. Starting a thread to publicly criticize the mods is generally a no-no here. Disputes with the mods should be handled in private. He's been around long enough to know that.

Given his history of starting many inflammatory (and wastelanded) threads, I honestly believe he's lucky to still have account here. Just an observation.

jackieonasses
Jan 23, 2005, 08:28 PM
"He who is without sin....." :) ....Cast the first stone.

Just to finish your quote. :D

Scottyk9
Jan 23, 2005, 10:55 PM
....Cast the first stone.

Just to finish your quote. :D

are you sure it isn't:
.... post a new thread?

Sun Baked
Jan 23, 2005, 11:06 PM
"He who is without sin....." :)....Cast the first stone.

Just to finish your quote. :D"... isn't the guy you want organizing a bachelor party."

No nudie bar, no strippers, no booze... :(

crachoar
Jan 24, 2005, 02:18 AM
A Modest Rant on Forum Censorship (not an attack, just my opinion)

I don't see what the point is in deleting any posts really. If people want to be 'naughty', let them. If they don't want to be, it's just as well. Besides, where do I find this list of things that are 'universally appropriate'? I'd like to be exposed to it before I spend my spare time writing a reply that is just going to be deleted.

My biggest complaint is when it comes to giving a critque on creative works. If you're honest with somebody, and you say to them, 'Sorry, not sure how else to word this - I think it's rubbish. You should change this, etc.', then the post will be deleted because it's 'negative', even if you provide them with evidence supporting your opinion.

So then what? Should we lie to each other and just say 'Oh yeah! You just defined the word 'perfection' - don't work harder, you're there already!' all the time?

And what about the people that come on and 'mac bash'? They get banned. However, all of the mac zealots can go around bashing 'Micro$oft' and 'Dull' as much as they can (and without a logical basis for their arguments - I might add). So why the double-standards?

If you're honestly offended by a few simple words or the fact that somebody doesn't agree with you - do us all a favor; evolve or remove yourself from the realm of physical existence. ;)

Mr. Anderson, with all due respect - I believe it is a public issue (the entire picture at least). Censorship is never good. I agree that there are obviously things most people would take offense to, but you know what? - That's life. You agree or disagree and move on. There's no point in pretending something doesn't exist when you know it does. Hell, there's no point in being offended at all, to be honest.

Granted, you may not like it. Also noted, you have the power to 'rid' the forums of 'it' (whatever that may be). However, it's pretty childish to do so.

The forum can have rules to cover their own asses. For example: 'no links to warez' or whatever. I can understand that. But when it comes to a mod removing something he doesn't agree with? That's called 'censorship'. And don't try to justify it as something else.

Anyway, that's just what I think about it. It probably won't change anything, but hopefully you guys realize that there are those of us that can 'handle reality' and decide what we see for ourselves - rather than have the world 'cleansed' for our assumed benefit.

Have a happy.

jackieonasses
Jan 24, 2005, 02:23 AM
are you sure it isn't:
.... post a new thread?

Just in case you were not kidding, It was a Bible verse... But i understand you joke. :D

Veldek
Jan 24, 2005, 05:28 AM
My biggest complaint is when it comes to giving a critque on creative works. If you're honest with somebody, and you say to them, 'Sorry, not sure how else to word this - I think it's rubbish. You should change this, etc.', then the post will be deleted because it's 'negative', even if you provide them with evidence supporting your opinion.

So then what? Should we lie to each other and just say 'Oh yeah! You just defined the word 'perfection' - don't work harder, you're there already!' all the time?I just want to respond to this.

If you critique someone’s work, you don’t need to say he’s perfect and it’s ok, if you tell him what should be changed IN YOUR OPINION. But is it really needed that you call his work rubbish first? You can tell him that YOU don’t like it for these and those reasons, but insulting him or his work is inappropriate in every case.

Blue Velvet
Jan 24, 2005, 07:11 AM
Besides, where do I find this list of things that are 'universally appropriate'? I'd like to be exposed to it before I spend my spare time writing a reply that is just going to be deleted.

Right here (http://forums.macrumors.com/announcement.php?f=20)

Lacero
Jan 24, 2005, 07:14 AM
How many people on average get banned per month?

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 24, 2005, 07:59 AM
Right here (http://forums.macrumors.com/announcement.php?f=20)

Have read that a few times since coming on board.

Struck me funny that there is great latitude on the instantly bannable offenses.

edesignuk
Jan 24, 2005, 08:34 AM
Quite a few I imagine, but they're the OMG FREE iPOD/Mac Mini/Whatever spammers. It's rare to see an actual member get banned.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 24, 2005, 08:39 AM

A lot more than there used to be - go to wasteland and you'll see. Its basically the spammers and their free stuff that gets banned. Only rarely do regular members step over the line.

D

relimw
Jan 24, 2005, 10:29 AM
Have read that a few times since coming on board.

Struck me funny that there is great latitude on the instantly bannable offenses.

This seems to be particularly true on the political board were things can tend to get heated rather quickly. I'll admit that I've stepped into a pile of it, and got myself temporarily banned. Which actually s*cked, since it happened during the middle of a hurricane, and I couldn't post anywhere....ah well.

<rant>
Just as a point of note, I do dislike the feeling I got when I was reading thru the Monkey thread. It very much looked like a witch hunt against mymemory going on by our distinguished regular members. That's not appropiate either, and thankfully was wastelanded.
</rant>

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 24, 2005, 10:52 AM
This seems to be particularly true on the political board were things can tend to get heated rather quickly. I'll admit that I've stepped into a pile of it, and got myself temporarily banned. Which actually s*cked, since it happened during the middle of a hurricane, and I couldn't post anywhere....ah well.

<rant>
Just as a point of note, I do dislike the feeling I got when I was reading thru the Monkey thread. It very much looked like a witch hunt against mymemory going on by our distinguished regular members. That's not appropiate either, and thankfully was wastelanded.
</rant>

Yeah, but there was a more recent example in the regular MR forums that a member specifically used the top bannable phrase, and their posts and the ones that followed were quietly deleted, and that is all that seems to have happened. It just struck me odd.

Diatribe
Jan 24, 2005, 11:59 AM
A lot more than there used to be - go to wasteland and you'll see. Its basically the spammers and their free stuff that gets banned. Only rarely do regular members step over the line.

D

Would anyone mind telling me why for example Captaincaveman was banned? I saw his last posts a couple of weeks ago and saw that he was banned. I just thought this to be odd since I didn't remember him as being offensive, though that may change from post to post, I understand that.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 24, 2005, 12:21 PM
Would anyone mind telling me why for example Captaincaveman was banned? I saw his last posts a couple of weeks ago and saw that he was banned. I just thought this to be odd since I didn't remember him as being offensive, though that may change from post to post, I understand that.

Actually I think the reasons that a particular user was banned should be between the user and the mod; unless the user is given the ability to defend themselves (but that makes the point of banning someone moot).

Diatribe
Jan 24, 2005, 12:37 PM
Actually I think the reasons that a particular user was banned should be between the user and the mod; unless the user is given the ability to defend themselves (but that makes the point of banning someone moot).

I guess you're right, it's just always weird when somebody with 600+ posts gets banned, at least to me :D

jackieonasses
Jan 24, 2005, 12:41 PM
I guess you're right, it's just always weird when somebody with 600+ posts gets banned, at least to me :D Just to tell you, he had 338. But hen ever had informative posts, and always cut down peoples opinions. ANd spammed quit often. He was banned for about 2 weeks and isn't anymore. He still hasn't got back on.

kyle

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 24, 2005, 12:44 PM
I guess you're right, it's just always weird when somebody with 600+ posts gets banned, at least to me :D

Or someone that has many more than that and may be a financial contributer. (To that end I understand, but even a symbolic temp ban would give a clear message as to the rules)

Diatribe
Jan 24, 2005, 12:48 PM
Just to tell you, he had 338. But hen ever had informative posts, and always cut down peoples opinions. ANd spammed quit often. He was banned for about 2 weeks and isn't anymore. He still hasn't got back on.

kyle

Weird. When I saw that had been banned I thought I had seen a tar...
I checked now and he neither has a tar nor is he banned now...
Either I am getting old or there are strange things happening here. Go hide the kids... :D

mkrishnan
Jan 24, 2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah, but there was a more recent example in the regular MR forums that a member specifically used the top bannable phrase, and their posts and the ones that followed were quietly deleted, and that is all that seems to have happened. It just struck me odd.

Just out of curiosity, do you mean something of the "you are an idiot" variety, or something else? Hmmm, just curiosity I guess. I guess I can even stomach that, as long as there are no explicit, intentional racial / ethnic / sexual orientation slurs, I'm pretty happy. The only time I felt hurt by one-such, it wasn't intentional, and the person edited it out right away when I complained. So even that wasn't so bad.

The only time I know of, where I explicitly pissed someone off here, I went back and edited out what I had said and put a sorry in its place. And then he was banned for some unrelated reason a week later. So I guess I win and I don't have to feel too too bad. :p

EDIT: Oh, I wanted to add...I have reservations about the "keep it between the mod and the user" view. I mod somewhere else, where I have the ability to delete posts or edit content out, but not to ban people. There can quickly be a flame war and bad feelings if the reason for a ban is stated, but OTOH, if it is done silently, there are also a lot of hurt feelings, and it puts a damper on the whole community, because people start to get paranoid and believe bans are arbitrary and high-handed, and they don't feel comfortable participating anymore, either because they're afraid of being banned or because the seeming irrationality of the action (because they don't know the reason) puts them off.

So I guess my view is that it is beneficial to state briefly why a person was banned, just for the whole group. No invective, not necessarily even discussion. Perhaps even a closed thread that just gets opened by a mod to add a post saying something like "X was banned because she violated the following rule: she poked a badger with a spoon."

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 24, 2005, 12:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you mean something of the "you are an idiot" variety, or something else? Hmmm, just curiosity I guess. I guess I can even stomach that, as long as there are no explicit, intentional racial / ethnic / sexual orientation slurs, I'm pretty happy. The only time I felt hurt by one-such, it wasn't intentional, and the person edited it out right away when I complained. So even that wasn't so bad.

The only time I know of, where I explicitly pissed someone off here, I went back and edited out what I had said and put a sorry in its place. And then he was banned for some unrelated reason a week later. So I guess I win and I don't have to feel too too bad. :p

You just have to read the rules to see the comment that will result in a banning. I understand where you are coming from though.

Too had a user question a comment that I made in joking. I apologized and edited that comment (I think it was in the Political Forum).

Rower_CPU
Jan 24, 2005, 01:01 PM
Sure you're not thinking of Sir_Giggles, 'fox?

blackfox
Jan 24, 2005, 01:03 PM
Sure you're not thinking of Sir_Giggles, 'fox?
oops...all these bannings, I just can't keep track... :D

I stand corrected. Thanks.

sethypoo
Jan 24, 2005, 04:01 PM
"... isn't the guy you want organizing a bachelor party."

No nudie bar, no strippers, no booze... :(

Whoa, whoa, back off on the stereotypes dude. I may be Christian, but I can still party! :) :D

sjpetry
Jan 24, 2005, 05:08 PM
"X was banned because she violated the following rule: she poked a badger with a spoon."

Where is she posting at. :p

mkrishnan
Jan 24, 2005, 06:24 PM
Where is she posting at. :p

X is my friend and I'm not gonna tell you! :p :D

relimw
Jan 24, 2005, 08:24 PM
"X was banned because she violated the following rule: she poked a badger with a spoon."

Hmm, poking a badger with a spoon is illegal eh? Hope it's not for poking it with a fork....

<looks around suspiously>

<Back on topic>
When the same thing happened to me, the mods basically said "well, we delete a zillion posts a day, and don't have time to send out anything". I always wondered why you just couldn't have something coded into the forum software that the mod could just check off 'off topic', 'obscene', etc and let the forum send out the email. At least that way you'd know which mod had deleted and a rough reason why.

Sun Baked
Jan 24, 2005, 08:41 PM
Hmm, poking a badger with a spoon is illegal eh? Hope it's not for poking it with a fork....

<looks around suspiously>Watch out, too much forking around in the threads will probably get the thread sent to the wasteland.

Doing it with a badger ... is rather kinky, and probably illegal, not to mention dangerous.

sjpetry
Jan 24, 2005, 09:38 PM
Watch out, too much forking around in the threads will probably get the thread sent to the wasteland.

Doing it with a badger ... is rather kinky, and probably illegal, not to mention dangerous.

I guess spooning is out then also. :rolleyes: :p

Mechcozmo
Jan 24, 2005, 09:45 PM
So I guess my view is that it is beneficial to state briefly why a person was banned, just for the whole group. No invective, not necessarily even discussion. Perhaps even a closed thread that just gets opened by a mod to add a post saying something like "X was banned because she violated the following rule: she poked a badger with a spoon."

That would be a good idea, IMO. The free you-know-whats people don't need threads like this, and the number of "real" members that get banned is pretty low. It is nice-- kind of like a "Don't do this or else" to the rest of us.

With that being said, please don't ban me! :)

keysersoze
Jan 25, 2005, 02:33 PM
That would be a good idea, IMO. The free you-know-whats people don't need threads like this, and the number of "real" members that get banned is pretty low. It is nice-- kind of like a "Don't do this or else" to the rest of us.

With that being said, please don't ban me! :)

Just curious, but how does one go from being 'banned' to being a 'demi-god?' Jimsowden made that leap VERY quickly, I believe. What's the jimmy's secret?

Poff
Jan 25, 2005, 02:40 PM
I didn't bother reading the whole article, so someone might have mentioned this allready..

To quote Arn:

"Posting a public outcry is frowned upon."

linka! (http://forums.macrumors.com/announcement.php?f=4)

Blue Velvet
Jan 25, 2005, 02:59 PM
Just curious, but how does one go from being 'banned' to being a 'demi-god?' Jimsowden made that leap VERY quickly, I believe. What's the jimmy's secret?

Perhaps he apologised or ironed things out with the mods, and then made a contribution within a few days... it is – or was* – that simple to acquire demi/contributor status. Why don't you ask him?

*The contributor scheme is under review and is currently closed.

bousozoku
Jan 25, 2005, 03:10 PM

Monopoly charges $50 to get out of jail. Perhaps, there is a similar rule. :D

I've yet to see a post removed for the wrong reason. It seems odd that mymemory would actually have a useful post and it was actually deleted. He seems to be the luckiest of all people in these forums, as far as not being banned after so many objectionable threads/posts. Who else would still be here after making terrible remarks against a certain group?

Is English the problem? I don't think it should be any more difficult for Venezuelans than it is for the Dutch, German, Spanish, French, or Japanese.

Rower_CPU
Jan 25, 2005, 03:48 PM

He was placed on a short (3-day) ban and after working things out with the mods/arn paid his contributor fee. Pretty simple. :)

Poff
Jan 25, 2005, 04:24 PM
Perhaps he apologised or ironed things out with the mods, and then made a contribution within a few days... it is – or was* – that simple to acquire demi/contributor status. Why don't you ask him?

*The contributor scheme is under review and is currently closed.

So it is closed!? I've been looking for it all day! I don't have any need for a fancy title, but the forums have been running slow lately, and I was thinking about maybe donating some to the site. (not decided yet tho.)

Thanks for clearing things out.! :)

Blue Velvet
Jan 25, 2005, 04:27 PM
So it is closed!? I've been looking for it all day!

Yes.

Here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=103840) is the thread where it was announced & discussed...

daveL
Jan 25, 2005, 04:57 PM

So, I would sugest, at list in my case because I do think is a BIG DEAL, to be notify of the issue when my post is deleted.

Sometimes I do like to pick on some one but other times I just feel some answers goes over some peoples head. Moderators are not perfect machines, are humans and obviously some can be more mistaken than others. Call my attention that edesignuk is the only one how feel agravated by the issue "There's really no need for this to be public".

Again, the last post that was deleted was about me telling the G5 was not fast enough (read my signature) and it was deleted. That shows a lack of principals and is actually making Macrumors other than pacefully place just because there are not rules. If I had the answer of 5 moderators I would say there is at list some sort of profile but I think we have found the one who is acting by his own rules.

Oh, I remember, the thread where, after dozens of posts, we find out that you loaded a G4 laptop OS X image on the G5 and wouldn't accept the idea that that *may* just have something to do with the fact that it wasn't running correctly. Of course, we can't forget that you also bought the G5 with every intention of using it for your work for a couple of weeks and then taking it back for a refund; basically a free rental on the sly. Boohoo, I feel sorry to hear about your deleted posts.

Mechcozmo
Jan 25, 2005, 04:58 PM

Cold, hard, cash. :confused: ;) :p

I'm content with working my way up to whatever you can go for free. Then I'm gonna see about donating. Etc.

solvs
Jan 25, 2005, 09:25 PM
Perhaps even a closed thread that just gets opened by a mod to add a post saying something like "X was banned because she violated the following rule: she poked a badger with a spoon."
And apparently it's illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling. Yes, I did have to make an obscure Simpsons reference.

Seriously though, I think that's a good idea. Instead of just deleting the offense, I'd like to see it Wastlelanded or something. I realize some things, like stuff in the Private or even Political forums, can't just be sent there, but it is weird when someone just suddenly gets banned and we can't figure out why. Sometimes it's obvious, but sometimes, not so much.

Maybe I should just stop letting my curiousity get the better of me, but I think a "here's how to get banned" thread would be kinda cool. Even if it is censored.

Poff
Jan 26, 2005, 08:29 AM
Yes.

Here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=103840) is the thread where it was announced & discussed...

thanks,

and sorry for stealing the topic.. :(

bousozoku
Jan 26, 2005, 10:16 AM
And apparently it's illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling. Yes, I did have to make an obscure Simpsons reference.

Seriously though, I think that's a good idea. Instead of just deleting the offense, I'd like to see it Wastlelanded or something. I realize some things, like stuff in the Private or even Political forums, can't just be sent there, but it is weird when someone just suddenly gets banned and we can't figure out why. Sometimes it's obvious, but sometimes, not so much.

Maybe I should just stop letting my curiousity get the better of me, but I think a "here's how to get banned" thread would be kinda cool. Even if it is censored.

Consider that putting it in Wasteland still takes server space, deleting it will (eventually) remove it from the server.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 26, 2005, 10:18 AM
Consider that putting it in Wasteland still takes server space, deleting it will (eventually) remove it from the server.

Sort of OT, but do Wasteland threads show up in the search?

mkrishnan
Jan 26, 2005, 10:24 AM
Sort of OT, but do Wasteland threads show up in the search?

I typed "Free iPod" in the search bar, and I got a wastelanded thread in the results, but only one. And a bunch of non-wastelanded threads complaining about wastelanded threads advertising free iPods. ;)

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 26, 2005, 10:28 AM
I typed "Free iPod" in the search bar, and I got a wastelanded thread in the results, but only one. And a bunch of non-wastelanded threads complaining about wastelanded threads advertising free iPods. ;)

My bad, should have thought of doing that myself. But it does illustrate why I think spam threads should be deleted right off the bat.

Rower_CPU
Jan 26, 2005, 01:16 PM
My bad, should have thought of doing that myself. But it does illustrate why I think spam threads should be deleted right off the bat.

But then we mods have no way of re-finding such threads without a manual search. If vBulletin allowed mods to search deleted posts we'd have no problem deleting more than we do now.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 26, 2005, 01:22 PM
But then we mods have no way of re-finding such threads without a manual search. If vBulletin allowed mods to search deleted posts we'd have no problem deleting more than we do now.

Maybe I am misunderstanding how vBulletin works. I was reffering to deleting a offending spam thread all together, not sending it to the Wasteland.

mkrishnan
Jan 26, 2005, 01:23 PM

I'm guessing, not knowing vBulletin that well, that the issue is also in part that, at least with mymemory, it is replies that are being deleted and not entire threads? I don't suppose you can exactly wasteland a reply. And I'm not sure leaving truly offensive stuff in Wasteland is a good idea. The mods here really go one step above and beyond the call of duty to wasteland the iPod posts with the links censored out. :D

But I still think that when real, non free-iPod members get banned, that some brief notification to the community, without a lot of discussion, is better than letting people stew and letting bad feelings fester without any comment on the issue....

Rower_CPU
Jan 26, 2005, 01:51 PM
Here's a brief overview of the way the forum software works:

When posts are deleted they can be either physically removed from the database or the can be hidden from non-mods/admins. We usually elect to do the latter so that a record of the activity still exists. However, unless we document the thread/post number, the search function does not allow us to find these posts at a later date.

So, for the purposes of cataloging spam/trolls/etc., deleting threads isn't the best solution for us running the forums. Wastelanding and editing the posts removes any benefit to the spammer/troll and allows us to re-find the threads/posts at a later date if need be.

Make sense?