Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacDailyNews reports that it has received information from a "source that we believe to be credible" regarding management training for the Verizon iPhone offered by the company last week. According to the report, the Verizon iPhone will launch immediately after Christmas and is in fact an LTE 4G device.
- The new iPhone is an LTE device and that fact - the only "LTE iPhone," exclusive to Verizon - will be the main marketing theme; i.e. "For the new '4G' (cough) verizon network" that Verizon has already started promoting
- As rollout of LTE not actually widepsread, Verizon iPhone will have multi-band chip backward compatibility with regular CDMA
The report also claims that the Verizon iPhone is already shipping to Verizon warehouses, and the carrier will maintain control over all stock until launch in order to control information leaks.

Finally, the source indicates that the iPhone 5 was intended to be LTE-only at its debut next summer, but Steve Jobs and Apple are upset that the carriers are not building out their LTE infrastructure quickly enough to make that happen.

Verizon's 4G network launched last week for mobile broadband customers, but the carrier noted that it does not expect to debut 4G-capable handsets until the middle of next year.

MacDailyNews is not a frequent source of rumors, and has a mixed record on the information it has published in the past. In addition, we are skeptical that Apple had ever seriously planned for the fifth-generation iPhone 5 to be "LTE-only", given that even the most aggressive LTE build-out schedules from the carriers have long planned for it to be several years before their entire networks are upgraded to the standard. In fact, other sources have indicated that the fifth-generation iPhone won't support LTE at all, a move which would follow Apple's precedent with not supporting 3G in the original iPhone as it waited for greater availability and more advanced technology for utilizing the standard.

Consequently, we are publishing this rumor on Page 2 for interest and discussion.

Article Link: 4G Verizon iPhone to Debut After Christmas?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Appropriate Page 2 post, I think.

There are some parts to this rumor that just don't add up. If/when I have time later I'll post more...

moiety

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
This is utter ********. The experience is key, and LTE hardware is nowhere near advanced enough to guarantee the experience that Apple would demand for a device the stature of the iPhone.

Remember: we're talking about the company that withheld phone wallpapers on the Original and 3G iPhones because the experience would have been several milliseconds too slow.

Fact: Verizon is not expecting LTE-capable hardware until mid-2011. There's no way Apple magically has an LTE phone ready to go while everyone else won't have one for 6 months.

Fact: Apple declined to integrate 3G into the iPhone when 3G was already available, because the hardware wasn't power-efficent enough. One of the main distinguishing features of the iPhone is its battery life. They're not going to tarnish that image by hacking first-generation, power-hogging LTE hardware into the phone, in ADDITION to CDMA, which is another radio tech they're only now deploying.

These sources are full of ****. QED.

bpfesq

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Omnipresent
I just don't see Apple creating a situation where they're going to have 2 separate refresh dates for the iPhone. Whatever they do, they're going to make it so they refresh ALL of their iPhones around June of every year. Otherwise they're going to put one of the carriers at a distinct disadvantage because Verizon will have the latest technology for up to 6 months before it goes to ATT--which will hurt apple sales overall.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
How could Apple keep production of an LTE iPhone so completely quiet when a release is pending in two weeks? We would have heard something in the supply chain before this.

This supposed source also says that Apple may be financing some of the carrier's LTE buildouts -- if Apple were doing that they would be asking for exclusive use of those LTE networks for a period. It would also set a terrible precedent.

Also, I don't imagine that AT&T & Apple signed a contract that had exclusivity expiring on December 26, 2010. It would make far more sense for a contract to be written that extends through the end of 2010, though some have even speculated it extends through 2012 (heaven help us and Apple if that's the case).

Nothing in this article from MacDailyNews seems close to the truth.

EDIT: In other news, rumor has it that Apple and NASA are launching a series of iPhone satellites on December 26th that will support the iPhone-SAT which will have 100MBps speeds with worldwide coverage using a series of Apple-owned satellites and taking the carrier completely out of the equation. There will be no more carrier exclusivity, because there will be no carrier. Apple will sell the phone for $700 unlocked with no monthly service charge, but will require you purchase an annual subscription to MobileMe for $99 for service.

elhungarian

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/5.1.21052/22.401; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

And why in the world would they launch after Christmas. Either do it before or wait until people recover financially :)

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I call shenanigans, it is just all too ideal and stuff just doesn't add up right. Wish it were true though...

Monkey194545

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
This is utter ********. The experience is key, and LTE hardware is nowhere near advanced enough to guarantee the experience that Apple would demand for a device the stature of the iPhone.

Remember: we're talking about the company that withheld phone wallpapers on the Original and 3G iPhones because the experience would have been several milliseconds too slow.

Fact: Verizon is not expecting LTE-capable hardware until mid-2011. There's no way Apple magically has an LTE phone ready to go while everyone else won't have one for 6 months.

Fact: Apple declined to integrate 3G into the iPhone when 3G was already available, because the hardware wasn't power-efficent enough. One of the main distinguishing features of the iPhone is its battery life. They're not going to tarnish that image by hacking first-generation, power-hogging LTE hardware into the phone, in ADDITION to CDMA, which is another radio tech they're only now deploying.

These sources are full of ****. QED.

On your first point: It is also the company that came out with the iphone 4 and its antenna problems.

Your second point: Don't you think Verizon would take the oppurtunity to give apple what they really want over the Android phones: The first 4g phone on Verizon network. That would be a huge advantage. Just because the network isnt fully up yet doesn't mean Verizon couldn't have given apple the tech to make a 4g iphone. Verizon see android phone sales dropping and know that an iphone would boost sales by a huge amount.

Your third point: It would only be one chip, read the article for reference. How do you know how much battery it uses? It may be only a small amount more than 3g. Att's 3g sucked when the 3g iphone came out. It still sucks. Don't underestimate apple and verizon. You may be surprised!

Edit: By no means am a I acknowledging the merit or lack there of of this article

Last edited:

mrial

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Dont underestimate the power of marketing. They might have this LTE/CDMA combo where the LTE is not all that functional but is there only for the publicity. Think about the splash of the FIRST 4G iPhone!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I really hope LTE is on all handsets going forward whether fully deployed or not. It will be deployed. While I am wishing for unicorns here, I also wish both AT&T and Verizon would let the other carriers customers roam on their LTE network, possibly for a monthly fee or a bucket of GB fee. Let's pay them what they are due, but let's have consumer convenience as the primary goal for a change.

BTW the reason the rumor is wrong is it says LTE only. In reality it will be data only, no voice specific transceiver. All ops will be by IP including VoIP for voice. It will still be able to drop from 4G to 3G level service to assure access.

Rocketman

Last edited:

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Dont underestimate the power of marketing. They might have this LTE/CDMA combo where the LTE is not all that functional but is there only for the publicity. Think about the splash of the FIRST 4G iPhone!
That would seem very un-Apple like, like somebody said earlier in this thread, they wouldn't allow homescreen background images on two of their phones because of performance issues (which can't be more than a fraction of a second), so why would they allow not fully-functioning LTE capabilities. Apple isn't a company that'll do something just so they can say they did it first, look at multitasking, Steve's quote when they announced it was something like, "we were certainly not the first to do it but we were the first to do it right." In Apple's eyes, if it isn't perfect they won't do it.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Haha, nope.

This is the company that released an EDGE phone as it's first model. No way they're jumping to LTE this early in the game.

emoeric

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2006
Haha, nope.

This is the company that released an EDGE phone as it's first model. No way they're jumping to LTE this early in the game.

Before my impending question...I agree with Warbrain here. The proof is across the board when it comes to Apple and their products. The didn't adopt 3g when it was out for a while and also didnt adopt wireless N technology for routers for a long time. Apple likes to perfect the technology first.

Now, onto my question. Sorta belongs here... My white iphone 3GS 32gb just bit the dust. I have squaretrade and they are allowing me a replacement phone. sweet! The trick is do I get the iphone that is out right now, wait til january to see if they update the skin/ casing of the existing iphone4 (due to a verizon announcement and in turn update AT&T iphone as well) or do I postpone and wait until summer 2011?

I find waiting until 2011 almost impossible and wonder if they are going to announce Iphone 5. Or will they do an Iphone4GS, with even faster network speeds, bigger screen, blah blah blah. Will the update be critical (iphone 5 rumors of location based computing, paying with the swipe of a phone)?

I find the second option to be most feasible, but would like to test out the online community.

Thanks!
-Eric

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
This is not going to happen. I don't see how it fits in with anything. Maybe an LTE next round (6th Generation). Plus I just bought my iPhone, switched from Verizon. I wouldn't want to believe that this would be true as I was unable to wait and see!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good. I'm still in my 30 days to cancel AT&T if this indeed come out after Christmas.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Is this the same Verizon LTE network that takes about 2 minutes to handshake between the LTE and 3G network?

Yeah, that isn't happening.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Haha, nope.

Okay? But what 3G competition was out there at the time? There was no Android at that time. The iPhone was competing with Blackberry, and it was a MAJORLY different device. Now they HAVE to compete, so they HAVE to advance. Look for LTE in the next iPhone.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'm getting really tired of reading "iPhone on Verizon 4G after Christmas!" rumors on here. WHy is it that every time someone says "Oh, I've heard the iPhone's coming to Verizon in January," MacRumors puts it on the front page or Page 2? Are enough people so totally obsessed with the iPhone, they pee their pants if they don't hear a Verizon iPhone rumor every day/every other day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.