PDA

View Full Version : Powermac "mirror door" dual 1.25 monitor issues

Tiro
Dec 13, 2010, 04:32 PM
Ok i searched and no ones problem is quite like this - i have a Mirror doored dual 1.25ghz PowerPc mac with like 1.5gb ram and 500gb hd and just a normal apple studio display 15'' here's what it does - randomely it will turn the screen off for a few seconds then back on then off then on then...you get the idea. but here's the trick - the power indicator on the the computer obove the superdrive turns off too and for a second it looks like the computers totally off but its not your cursor stays where its at on the screen and its fine ...for about a minute then off for a few seconds. any ideas? sorry for the lame explanation it just did this last night and i hope theres nothing too wrong cuz i have a LOT of stuff on this computer i don't want to lose.

raysfan81
Dec 13, 2010, 07:45 PM
Ok, so the first thing I would do would be to back up EVERYTHING with Time Machine, Carbon Copy, cloner or whatever back-up program you prefer if you have a lot of information on that computer that will keep you from losing it.

Secondly, I would try a different monitor that isn't based off the ADC since it draws power from the computer. I assume you are using the stock graphics card Radeon 9000 or Nvidia GeForce MX ( I think ) both of those should have either a VGA or DVI output on them as well. If that solves your problem then your PSU might be over-stressed (do you have a lot of hard drives or expansion cards inside that would draw extra power?) which could cause the computer to behave erratically.

Other than that I would test the output of the PSU with a voltmeter to make sure that it is sending out the right voltages. After that you would probably have to replace the power supply.

Sorry for the super long response. Just tryin to help. :)