PDA

View Full Version : MS-DOS or exFAT?

Epiphron
Dec 13, 2010, 05:09 PM
Hey guys, what's the best format for my external hard drive so that Mac OS X and Windows 7 (via bootcamp) can read/write to it. I'm using disk utility to partition my external drive. Anyone have experience on this matter?

bmcgonag
Dec 13, 2010, 08:22 PM
I would say boot up in boot camp, connect the drive, and format it with Fat32. There are some free ustilities for mac that will let it write to NTFS as well, but I've found it to be a bit buggy at times. It's NTFS-3G if you want to google it and read about it though.

Brian

GGJstudios
Dec 13, 2010, 08:23 PM
MS-DOS or exFAT?
Hey guys, what's the best format for my external hard drive so that Mac OS X and Windows 7 (via bootcamp) can read/write to it. I'm using disk utility to partition my external drive. Anyone have experience on this matter?
MS-DOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS) isn't a disk format; it's an operating system. Your best bet is NTFS.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)

Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
Maximum file size: 4GB.
Maximum volume size: 2TB

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html) (free)
Some have reported problems using Tuxera (http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/) (approx 33USD).
Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
Maximum file size: 16 TB
Maximum volume size: 256TB

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)

Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
Required for Time Machine (http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/time-machine.html) or Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) backups of Mac internal hard drive.
To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/)
To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer (http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html)
Maximum file size: 8EiB
Maximum volume size: 8EiB

exFAT (FAT64)

Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
exFAT partitions created with OS X 10.6.5 are inaccessible from Windows 7
Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exfat#Disadvantages).
exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT)
Maximum file size: 16 EiB
Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB

I would say boot up in boot camp, connect the drive, and format it with Fat32. There are some free ustilities for mac that will let it write to NTFS as well, but I've found it to be a bit buggy at times. It's NTFS-3G if you want to google it and read about it though.
You don't have to boot up in Boot Camp to format FAT32. Mac OS X can do that. Tuxera has been known to be buggy, but not NTFS-3G for Mac OS X. It's quite stable and reliable.

-aggie-
Dec 13, 2010, 08:26 PM
Ill second the vote for NTFS. Id never heard of exFAT (FAT64, but not exFAT), so thanks to GGJstudios for that post.

bmcgonag
Dec 13, 2010, 09:45 PM
Didn't mean to insinuate that NTFS-3G is buggy in general, just meant that I have found it to be buggy. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for all the info on the different file system types. Good info to have.

Mikey7c8
Dec 13, 2010, 10:35 PM
NTFS-3G is buggy as hell, mine craps out all the time. Sure it's fine for small occasional transfers, but i'd never want to rely on it.

Personally, I'd go exFAT unless you've already paid for paragon's NTFS drivers.

So create the drive in Windows. Gah.

GGJstudios
Dec 13, 2010, 10:42 PM
NTFS-3G is buggy as hell, mine craps out all the time. Sure it's fine for small occasional transfers, but i'd never want to rely on it.
If you're having problems, it's most likely because something else is causing it. The free NTFS-3G is very reliable. Only the paid Tuxera is known to have problems.

Personally, I'd go exFAT unless you've already paid for paragon's NTFS drivers.
exFAT has many limitations, as the links will show. It's not the best choice for compatibility between Mac OS X and Windows, since only certain versions of both will handle it.

nampramos
Dec 14, 2010, 07:57 AM
I'm having the same dilema!
I bought a WD External HDD with 2TB to use it together with a LCD TV from Samsung as a Media Center.
Since I'm the only one in the house that uses Mac, it needs to be in a format that both systems can handle.
Also, I don't know if the Samsung LCD can handle exFat or HFS+.
Is the only option NTFS?
It is very slow to transfer files and the main use for the HDD will be to have very big video files in 720p or 1080p.

GGJstudios
Dec 14, 2010, 09:42 AM
I bought a WD External HDD with 2TB to use it together with a LCD TV from Samsung as a Media Center.
Since I'm the only one in the house that uses Mac, it needs to be in a format that both systems can handle.
Is the only option NTFS?
It is very slow to transfer files and the main use for the HDD will be to have very big video files in 720p or 1080p.
I listed all the options in my first post. Either NTFS or HFS+ will work. In both cases, something needs to be installed on either the Mac or Windows PC to make it work. FAT32 has a file size limitation.

nampramos
Dec 15, 2010, 03:54 AM
I listed all the options in my first post. Either NTFS or HFS+ will work. In both cases, something needs to be installed on either the Mac or Windows PC to make it work. FAT32 has a file size limitation.

Well HFS+ is out of the question since the Samsung LCD does not support that format.
Can I format an External HDD to NTFS on my Mac?

GGJstudios
Dec 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
Well HFS+ is out of the question since the Samsung LCD does not support that format.
Can I format an External HDD to NTFS on my Mac?
Yes. Install NTFS-3G on the Mac and then you can format any drive as NTFS. (See my first post in this thread)

nampramos
Dec 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
Yes. Install NTFS-3G on the Mac and then you can format any drive as NTFS. (See my first post in this thread)

OK. Got it and it is formatting.
It will take years for what I'm seeing!

EDIT: Estimated time: 21 hours!
Seriously?

GGJstudios
Dec 15, 2010, 10:07 AM
OK. Got it and it is formatting.
It will take years for what I'm seeing!

EDIT: Estimated time: 21 hours!
Seriously?

It probably won't take that long. It's an estimate and as such, it will continually change as the estimate gets more accurate. How big is the drive?

nampramos
Dec 15, 2010, 10:10 AM
Never mind.
It was the security options that were messing with it.
Now its done and working.
It 2TB.
Thank you!

nampramos
Dec 16, 2010, 04:39 AM
Something happened!
I was transfering to the HDD some tv episodes and all of a sudden I got a message on screen that the HDD was ejected incorrectly.
I connected it again and now I cannot access the folder I was putting the episodes in.
It give me an error -43.
Did I lost everything I just put inside?

daiei27
Dec 26, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hello? Can anyone help?
That's why I don't trust 3rd party solutions (read NTFS on a Mac) to handle my data.

You didn't say you needed support for files greater than 4GB so unless you need that (and can't work around it), you should format your 2TB HDD to FAT32 on a PC. Then you can use it with Macs and your Samsung, too.

P.S. If you couldn't guess, another vote for skipping NTFS and jumping straight to exFAT for those only using OS X 10.6.5 and Windows 7/Vista/XP! :eek:

GGJstudios
Dec 26, 2010, 08:27 PM
Something happened!
I was transfering to the HDD some tv episodes and all of a sudden I got a message on screen that the HDD was ejected incorrectly.
I connected it again and now I cannot access the folder I was putting the episodes in.
It give me an error -43.
Did I lost everything I just put inside?
Hopefully, you were copying files to the HDD and not moving. If so, you haven't lost anything. It's a good practice to first copy to external drives, to make sure files transfer successfully, before deleting any source data. I assume you had the HDD connected only to the Mac when this happened?
You didn't say you needed support for files greater than 4GB so unless you need that (and can't work around it), you should format your 2TB HDD to FAT32 on a PC. Then you can use it with Macs and your Samsung, too.

P.S. If you couldn't guess, another vote for skipping NTFS and jumping straight to exFAT for those only using OS X 10.6.5 and Windows 7/Vista/XP! :eek:
FAT32 and exFAT are not options. You didn't read their posts closely enough:
Is the only option NTFS?

daiei27
Dec 26, 2010, 10:20 PM
FAT32 and exFAT are not options. You didn't read their posts closely enough:
Actually, FAT32 could be an option. He did not specify how big the files were. Lots of people split or compress large video files.

Also, I did not suggest exFAT as a solution for his particular problem. I was just making a general statement (note the P.S.) since so many were quick to dismiss it for NTFS. Perhaps you didn't read these posts closely enough. :p

I will admit exFAT does have its faults, though. IMHO, everyone should decide for themselves rather than blindly relying on advice from strangers.

GGJstudios
Dec 26, 2010, 10:25 PM
Actually, FAT32 could be an option. He did not specify how big the files were.
This is pretty clear:
the main use for the HDD will be to have very big video files in 720p or 1080p.
Knowing that this is the purpose, it doesn't make sense to use a file system with that known file size limitation.

Also, I did not suggest exFAT as a solution for his particular problem. I was just making a general statement (note the P.S.) since so many were quick to dismiss it for NTFS.

I will admit exFAT does have its faults, though.
They already expressed that exFat is not compatible with the Samsung.
IMHO, everyone should decide for themselves rather than blindly relying on advice from strangers.
Facts are facts, whether received from a stranger or someone you know.

daiei27
Dec 27, 2010, 01:25 PM
This is pretty clear:

Knowing that this is the purpose, it doesn't make sense to use a file system with that known file size limitation.

They already expressed that exFat is not compatible with the Samsung.

Facts are facts, whether received from a stranger or someone you know.
Facts are not necessarily helpful facts if they don't apply to the situation. Logic is obviously not your strong suit so get off your high horse.

I'm not gonna waste any more of my time explaining my words to you.

GGJstudios
Dec 27, 2010, 03:27 PM
Facts are not necessarily helpful facts if they don't apply to the situation.
Here are the facts that apply to this situation:
FAT32 - not a good choice, because it has a 4GB file size limitation
exFAT - not a good choice, since it's not compatible with the Samsung device
HFS+ - not a good choice, since it's not compatible with the Samsung device

That leaves NTFS as the only logical choice that meets both the compatibility and file size criteria.

It's really not that difficult to understand, if you slow down and read the posts carefully.

yarik20
Apr 6, 2011, 11:37 PM
hi i am sorry if i hijack this post, however i am in the same situation (Samsung tv, Windows Vista, and MAC OS X 10.6.7) the only difference, i have another factor, i was planning to use this HDD for Time Machine, apparently TM can only detect HFS+ (unless i am missing some pieces from this puzzle) i have installed Tuxera NTFS but had no luck with TM detecting the drive.
FAT32 is also not a good option for me as i would like to copy files over 4gb.

Should i possibly partition my 2T drive (1T Tuxera NTFS/1T HFS+)?

Thank you all, i spent 2 days already figuring this out, and researching.

GGJstudios
Apr 7, 2011, 11:02 AM
Should i possibly partition my 2T drive (1T Tuxera NTFS/1T HFS+)?
Yes, that's exactly what you need to do.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html) (free)
Some have reported problems using Tuxera (http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/) (approx 33USD).
Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)

Required for Time Machine (http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/time-machine.html) or Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) backups of Mac internal hard drive.
To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/)
To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer (http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html)

exFAT (FAT64)

Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exfat#Disadvantages).
AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT

dgbowers
Apr 7, 2011, 12:49 PM
The best way that I've found is to split the drive into 3 partitions.

950GB as HFS+
100GB as FAT32
950GB as NTFS

You can read and write from both OS X and Windows on the FAT32 partition, and use that as a transfer drive to go between the two different OSes.

GGJstudios
Apr 7, 2011, 01:00 PM
You can read and write from both OS X and Windows on the FAT32 partition, and use that as a transfer drive to go between the two different OSes.
There is no need for a FAT32 partition, as NTFS can easily be shared between Mac OS X and Windows.

dgbowers
Apr 7, 2011, 01:03 PM
There is no need for a FAT32 partition, as NTFS can easily be shared between Mac OS X and Windows.

But you can't write to NTFS on OS X without installing unreliable (in my experience) third party stuff.

GGJstudios
Apr 7, 2011, 01:06 PM
But you can't write to NTFS on OS X without installing unreliable (in my experience) third party stuff.
Read the 3rd bullet under NTFS in post #23. NTFS-3G is quite reliable.

holysheet
Apr 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hello everyone!
I got similar issue with my WD Element 2Tb EXT HDD
I want to use it for Time Machine and also as media server (connect it via USB to my Asus WL-500GP v2 router) to be able to watch video content from it on my Playstation 3
As i understood, PS3 can see only FAT32 formatted partitions.
So, here is the question:
Should i format one partition for example 300Gb in NTFS HFS+ for TM
and the other one 1,7Tb in FAT
or i can format secon partiotion in NFTS?

P.S. BTW, how to add this HDD later, connected to router, as network drive on mac osx?

pedroslima
Aug 28, 2011, 11:36 PM
Before we go to the next guy help me out!
My problem is exactly the same (MAC + Windows + Samsung TV) with the addition of a small issue:
I would like to also use it as a NAS sometimes!
So here I would have picked the NTFS using a DD-WRT on my buffalo router using the non buffalo version (which supposedly accepts this format for NAS).

So far so good execpt that the TV is not reading NTFS! I could only get it working as FAT32! Did ANYONE got it working? Did you just format and plugged it in? What was the partition size?

WD-HD 2Tb
Samsung UN46D7000
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
Windows 7 64 (parallels)
OS X 10.7.1

home45458
Oct 12, 2011, 11:03 AM
I am looking at installing NTFS-3G however after going to the link that talked about it I now have the following question: Will this program work on OS 10.6.8 and if so do I have to install any other programs or make any additional changes to make it work?

newdeal
Oct 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
used NTFS and install paragon NTFS so you can use your mac to read and write to it. Works seamlessly and perfectly

nohoch
Oct 18, 2011, 12:09 PM
used NTFS and install paragon NTFS so you can use your mac to read and write to it. Works seamlessly and perfectly

Is Paragon faster read/write on mac than Tuxera.. Im currently using Tuxera and can write on NTFS, but have noticed it is quite slow... Have not noticed buggy problems as their NTFS 3g, but is there a comparison of benchmarks for said programs..

Thanks in advance

jon08
Dec 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
Hey guys, one quick question:

I have an SSD in the main HDD bay and a HDD in the Optibay - I've just installed the latter and now I need to format the drive.

My question is: if I have Paragon NTFS installed on the SSD (which is where Lion is installed), will Paragon work for the HDD in Optibay too if I were to transfer data from my NFTS-formatted external HDD to the HDD in Optibay?

I wanted to format the latter to NTFS, but Disk Utility doesn't offer that option, that's why I'm apparently left with 2 options: either OS X (Journaled) or exFAT....... :/

GGJstudios
Dec 6, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hey guys, one quick question:

I have an SSD in the main HDD bay and a HDD in the Optibay - I've just installed the latter and now I need to format the drive.

My question is: if I have Paragon NTFS installed on the SSD (which is where Lion is installed), will Paragon work for the HDD in Optibay too if I were to transfer data from my NFTS-formatted external HDD to the HDD in Optibay?

I wanted to format the latter to NTFS, but Disk Utility doesn't offer that option, that's why I'm apparently left with 2 options: either OS X (Journaled) or exFAT....... :/
You don't install Paragon "on the SSD" or "on the HDD", which would imply that you'd need to install it for each drive. When you install it, it enables Mac OS X to read/write/format any NTFS drive, internal or external.

jon08
Dec 6, 2011, 10:43 AM
...meaning that once I installed it on OS X, it will work on the HDD in optibay too?

GGJstudios
Dec 6, 2011, 10:50 AM
...meaning that once I installed it on OS X, it will work on the HDD in optibay too?
Yes. And any external NTFS drive.

jon08
Dec 6, 2011, 10:59 AM
Great, thanks.

ckeilah
Feb 10, 2012, 11:08 AM
I hear that ext3 is mountable in both OSX and 'doze, and unix of course. If that's the case, there's the optimal solution.

However, I just tried to mount an ext3 fs under windblowsXPproSP3, and I get no joy. Maybe the solution is to run a fileserver on linux with ext3.fs, and just mount them over NFS from OSX/'blows machines.

GGJstudios
Feb 10, 2012, 01:51 PM
I hear that ext3 is mountable in both OSX and 'doze, and unix of course. If that's the case, there's the optimal solution.
Optimal solution for who? Since you're resurrecting this thread that started over a year ago and was last posted in 2 months ago, it's unclear who your post is addressed to. If to the OP, your solution doesn't work, as has been clearly explained in the thread.
IHowever, I just tried to mount an ext3 fs under windblowsXPproSP3, and I get no joy.
So much for your "optimal solution"!

ratGT
Feb 17, 2012, 06:27 AM
Read the 3rd bullet under NTFS in post #23. NTFS-3G is quite reliable.

@GGJstudios
Hold your horses soldier! I've gone through every single question, answer and statement throughout this thread and I agree with your positions and also agree that you are right, since your answers are purely based on facts - EXCEPT "NTFS-3G is quite reliable." That's NOT a fact, but solely YOUR opinion. And since you have been so keen on posting and reposting facts to prove your positions and aid 'newbies', this answer of yours was somehow 'irresponsible'. And contrary to your opinion, my experience from client Macs drives me to the conclusion that NO third-party 'extension' is reliable. And that is being said after having used (since Mac OS X 10.5) everything from NTFS-3G, NTFS Mounter, Tuxera NTFS, NTFS for Mac, up to SL-NTFS. They ALL have eventually their 'glitch'. And sometimes that 'glitch' has been proved disastrous in one or two cases.

Once again though, apart from the above 'correction', I agree with the rest of your statements and I'm surely most of the thread visitors are very happy with your helpfulness! ;)

GGJstudios
Feb 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
EXCEPT "NTFS-3G is quite reliable." That's NOT a fact,
Yes, it is a fact, based not on my personal experience, but on the experiences of the vast majority who have used it. As with any technology, there will always be a small minority to experience problems, the source of many of which cannot be decisively shown to be the NTFS-3G driver, to the exclusion of other factors on those individual computers.
... but solely YOUR opinion.
If something I post is based solely on my opinion, I disclose that in my post. In cases like this, it's not based solely on my opinion, but based on years of seeing hundreds or thousands of posts by users who share their experiences.
my experience from client Macs drives me to the conclusion that NO third-party 'extension' is reliable.
That's your individual experience, which isn't shared by the majority of users. If it were true, these forums would be filled with warnings about all 3rd party solutions, rather than so many recommendations on which ones they've had success with.
And that is being said after having used (since Mac OS X 10.5) everything from NTFS-3G, NTFS Mounter, Tuxera NTFS, NTFS for Mac, up to SL-NTFS. They ALL have eventually their 'glitch'. And sometimes that 'glitch' has been proved disastrous in one or two cases.
You haven't mention Paragon, which many have used successfully.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll post updated information that takes Lion into account.

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat_4.htm) (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS%2B) (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

Required for Time Machine (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427) or Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) or SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html) backups of Mac OS X system files.
To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer (http://www.catacombae.org/hfsx.html)
Mac OS X: Mac OS Extended format (HFS Plus) volume and file limits (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2422)
You can use this format if you only use the drive with Mac OS X, or use it for backups of your Mac OS X internal drive, or if you only share it with one Windows PC (with MacDrive installed on the PC)

NTFS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntfs) (Windows NT File System)

To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/) (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/2010/10/ntfs-3g-for-mac-os-x-2010102.html) (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard (http://www.offthehill.org/articles/2010/12/31/macfuse-for-64-bit-snow-leopard/)
Some have reported problems using Tuxera (http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/) (approx $36).
Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exfat) (FAT64)

AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32#FAT32) (File Allocation Table)

You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.