Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowflakeWhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Who owns the internet. Who owns the interweb "land" that facebook is on? You have to buy a url from godaddy and others.
Does godaddy own the internet?

You would have to get a direct link to the internet that doesn't use any servers. Or do servers not just realize and recognize websites programed into them by servers? How does google find new websites that aren't created by any server?

Who owns the internet? What exatly is the internet? I can not find a definition that doesn't end in me concluding that the internet is not a free medium at all but is restricted by several MAJOR server hubs who can, why not, have control over all of what is said, posted, everything on the internet?
Am I missing something? Cause this is my conclusion, there is not such thing as a free internet medium.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Nobody owns the internet. The internet basically is a collective of many servers across the world which all link together. No one specific person governs control of the internet. Say the government wanted to completely shut it off, they would have to tell every server owner to turn off their server. Godaddy just sells website names because you could make one and end up having one thats already been used. The owner of Facebook owns it.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I think Go Daddy is close to buying the Nascar Series :cool:

Attachments

• officially-official-danica-patrick-joining-nascar-nationwide-se.jpg
    officially-official-danica-patrick-joining-nascar-nationwide-se.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 74
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.