Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This week two Mac software bundles have launched. These bundles combine a number of Mac apps together into a discounted package.

003719-bundle10-300x120.png

The first comes from MacUpdate which we've partnered with a number of times over the past few years. The bundle includes the following apps for $49.99 ($534 value).

1Password - Password Manager
MacFamilyTree - Geneology app
DEVONthink - Organization software
Flux - XHTML and CSS web design
Default Folder X - Enhances open/save dialogs
Art Text + Fonts - Create high quality logos, headings, banners.
Swift Publisher - Make cards, certificates, letterheads, and more
Chronories - Diary app
Interarchy - FTP/SFTP client
Typinator - Auto-completes text as you type

1Password in particular is a highly recommended app that allows you to secure your online passwords. In light of the recent hacking of Gawker media it seems particularly relevant. The bundle can be purchased at MUPromo.com, and MacRumors is a promotional partner and benefits financially from referred sales.

003719-indie_300.jpg

Meanwhile, several independent developers have banded together to create the Indie Mac Gift Pack. This is a 6-app bundle that is being sold directly by the developers themselves. The apps include the following for $60 ($272 value)

Delicious Library 2 - track your collections
Acorn 2 - Image editor
MarsEdit 3 - Write, preview, publish your blog
Radioshift - Listen and record radio stations
SousChef - Search over 195,000 recipes
Sound Studio 4 - Record, edit and produce audio

The apps can be purchased at IndieMacGiftPack.com, and MacRumors has no financial association with this site.

Article Link: Mac Software Bundles: MacUpdate and Indie Mac Gift Pack

Last edited by a moderator:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I am considering the first bundle because there are some things on there that I really would like. BUT I really need the new version of Delicious Library (I have the pervious version but it doesn't play too nicely with SnowLeopard).

I have 1Password already; if someone buys the second bundle and doesn't want Delicious Library, I'll trade the code with you. :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
From the screencast, Default Folder X looks very handy. It's been around for years but I've never tried it.

I read license agreements so I can follow them, but I can't tell from their license description whether Default Folder X is licensed by the person or by the computer. They have volume discounts but I can't tell what a single license permits. I guess I'll have to ask!

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I think the indie bundle is great, and was already going to buy Acorn (because it works decently with Aperture) and the wife will be happy about delicious library and sous chef.

The other bundle is a meh for me because 1password and interarchy are already mine and the rest strikes me as mostly shovelware (except maybe DEVONthink but I use OmniFocus and Evernote already)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I wish MR would take away the rating system for the front page news. There are currently 6 posts, all with positive posts about the article, yet there are only 4 positives but 7 negatives. :rolleyes:

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope the Mac app store doesn't snuff out bundles like these that come around every now and then. I really look forward to them.

aeronauticsrock

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Im not sure if MacUpdate allows splitting bundles? If so, I really need 1Password but not much else....

anyone buying the Macupdate bundle that already has 1Password? Let me know!

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I fell asleep at Flux. Kind of a poor bundle relative to past efforts.

Basically, its like you are getting some extra junk in case you wanted 1Password.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
I wish MR would take away the rating system for the front page news. There are currently 6 posts, all with positive posts about the article, yet there are only 4 positives but 7 negatives. :rolleyes:

Boooooooooring.
There you go ...a negative post :p

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I should be getting my iMac in the mail this week, and 1Password plus Delicious Library are two of the programs I planned on buying, so for an extra $30 total I'm sure I'll get use out of some of the other stuff.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
1Password is (for me) the only worthwhile App there. Dave and his team have done a fantastic job with it.

I still wouldn't recommend the bundle however and hate when MR makes these posts. If you're going to do it, at least close off comments so we cant moan about it!

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The first one is good because of Default Folder X and 1Password. And one can upgrade DEVONthink to the pro or the pro office at a later time.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

HLdan said:

Who cares?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
This is pure speculation, but my guess is that a new version of 1Password will be released quite soon.

The folks at 1Password have been giving registered users (such as myself) additional free licenses that we can give to our friends. In the past when they've done this sort of thing, shortly thereafter they've released a new version of the app.

Nothing wrong with that, and the current version of 1Password is fantastic. But if you're thinking about spending money on one of the bundle just to get 1Password, you might want to wait a month or so for what will likely be the release of the next version.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Version 3 was released around 12 months ago, so I suspect the current has plenty of life left. The great thing about 1Password is the support - its fantastic - they are very responsive, and continuous bug fixes.

I got 1Password in version 2 mid life, in a previous MacPromo bundle.

Windows users can now enjoy 1Password. Must be one of the most useful applications I've ever bought.

BTW - MacAppDeals is a good web site for finding 'today's deals'.

This is pure speculation, but my guess is that a new version of 1Password will be released quite soon.

The folks at 1Password have been giving registered users (such as myself) additional free licenses that we can give to our friends. In the past when they've done this sort of thing, shortly thereafter they've released a new version of the app.

Last edited:

jkaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Upper Mid West
I've been tempted in the past to purchase these bundles, and hats off to the people that came up with this idea.

Anyone else think these apps are an excellent example of the types of apps I will be snooping and purchasing at the upcoming App Store?

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
More apps that you don't need, but now find out that you DO need because the price doesn't look too inconvenient.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008

Well, I don't think those who voted negative bother to write that many comments. On that matter, I voted negative just because these bundles seem to recycle limited number of apps so after few years you have majority of apps in the bundles and you are left with just couple of new apps making the bundle uninteresting or more expensive then buying the apps separately thats if those apps actually even are interesting. Anyway, the bundles are great idea but we just need more variety in the apps.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Well, I don't think those who voted negative bother to write that many comments. On that matter, I voted negative just because these bundles seem to recycle limited number of apps so after few years I have majority of apps in the bundles and I am left with just couple of new apps making the bundle uninteresting or more expensive then buying the apps separately thats if those apps actually even are interesting. Anyway, the bundles are great idea but I just need more variety in the apps.

I fixed that for you because you're assuming that WE have most of these apps when the majority probably doesn't because the majority aren't computer geeks with apps like 1 Password. For the record, I have none of these apps so I don't see this article as a negative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.