Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Hi all!

I have a second generation appletv. And I'm having troubles using the photo screensaver with my own pictures.

I have roughly 4000 photographs using in total little over 400 mb.

When I select this folder to be used by the atv as a screensaver. It takes a couple of minutes to load and then the screensaver works. But after playing either some media or letting the atv sleep it always crashes when the screensaver activates. After this crash it crashes every time the screensaver activates.
This behavior isn't displayed with the default picture libraries in the atv.

The atv is wired to a Mac mini storing the photos and all the media
The same picture folder works fine on the classic atv
Ive updated to the most resent iOS
I've done a restore twice

Does anybody have a suggestion what I do to fix this?

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Not sure what you mean "ATV is wired to mac mini"?

Isn't wired to a router that is also wired to a mac mini?

The new ATV has only the option of viewing certain albums. You can only view all of your photos as a screen saver if you make an album and put all the photos in it.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Ive only started messin with this feature on the atv2.

I must admit, your library seems a bit excessive for poor little old atv2 to handle. I cut an event from 400 to about 180 images to speed up its loading of the photos. Did it a world of good.

Not with any knowledge, I can only suggest, try using a smaller portion of your library and see if that solves the issue. Im just guessing, but its worth a try.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
It is more likely that you have a corruption somewhere in your photo library than anything else. There should be no problem with crashes just because you have 4000 photos. Others have posted having more than that with no problems.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
It is more likely that you have a corruption somewhere in your photo library than anything else. There should be no problem with crashes just because you have 4000 photos. Others have posted having more than that with no problems.

With some terminal voodoo i've made sure that the photo dir contained only .jpg files.

And voila; the screensaver doesn't crash any more. even with 4000+ pictures.

apart from the .jpg's there were some .mov and .avi files in there. My guess is that those were the problem.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
without cause or apparent reason, the crashing is back. Everytime the screensaver loads, the atv2 reboots

I gave up and turned to the rather dull default screensaver.

Quite a disappointment, if it is fixed i'll update this thread.

GeeLuv

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2009
Screen Saver makes my ATV2 Reboot

I have the same issue I have several photo's I have selected to use as my screen saver but once the screen saver activates it causes the ATV2 to reboot. If I use the stock photo album it does fine, if I select photos and my photo album and begin a slideshow then say I select my music and begin playing it will work fine. The slideshow will continue and the music will keep playing with no problems, but if I select music and begin playing once the screen saver engages it will reboot? I am running the latest software update and have had no luck with Apple Support?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.