Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radomu

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
I never seemed to get my head around the iPod touch, or the iPhone, as a music player. Because I have far too many songs, my 120 gig classic is the best choice for me.

I hope they don't dump the classic, I'm too used to my 2 year old iPod with the clickwheel.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
There have been many threads like this in the past. Full of people who also love their Classic iPods.

I too have a classic and love it. It does not get daily use by any means as I have the large iPhone, but it is always the first thing I pack when heading on any kind of trip or journey.

If I lost it tomorrow I'd get another.

whathesaid

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
UK
the classic is as it's name suggests, a classic.

I still use mine everyday to and from work, i recently needed a new ipod because the previous classic bust after years of wear and tear, i looked at the touch, but wasn't sold, so went for the trusty 120gb classic! can't go wrong for a stand alone music player.

:)

radomu

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
I will bomb Apple if they decide to scrap this model for a touch screen.

ShamrockSolace

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Prefer classic to others

I have had the classic too for many years. Recently bought a used iPT from a friend gave it away to a family member. Was not for me. I like the simplicity and reliability of the classic.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
have been using the same classic since the 5th gen. recently replaced the 60gb hard drive with a 120gb drive because i was out of space. No clue what battery life is like after this many years, but it lives connected to my car and is used daily.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Love my 80g iPod Classic. It stays (hidden) in my car, attached to the Pioneer deck where I use its functionality to play the iPod. Never listen to the radio.

Like a friend said many years ago, it's just great to be able to carry around your entire music collection everywhere you go!

ObsidianIce

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Seventh Circle of Hell
Definitely love the classic too. I doubt i will ever be without one. You can't beat the capacity the only positive change I could see would be to maybe switch the drive to flash but keep the same form factor and capacity, without shooting the price through the roof. I don't see that happening anytime soon though so long live the classic!

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Still love mine (even with all those bumps and scratches!). I could do with a new one soon though, I was hoping they would change it up a bit when they brought out the New Nanos etc but im happy for now.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Yep.

I use it as my primary music player, and only my iPhone 4 for plane trips, or going to public places were i can use my earbuds.

I mostly use my iPod to blast music and isolate myself from the world.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
woah lots of Classic lovers on this thread. :p

I also mainly use mine on my Pioneer headunit, CD/DVD are no more. I remember a while back I used to have a large folder full of CD's for the car to feed the magazine on a cd changer. That is now obsolete with a Classic on board.

ThereGoesJB

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
click wheels for cars!

i bought my 30gb 5th gen ipod used at some small electronics store winter of '05, the guys had nothing but the pod, no cables paperwork or anything.
After a new battery, headphone jack & hold button it still goes strong.
I think the touch is cool... but the click wheel is a must have for the car.

chezhoy

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hanscom AFB, MA
I love mine...got it back in 2004-05, 80 GB in black. It has earned every scratch that happens to be on it. It also looks like a small iPhone 4 if you think about it. :D

m.a.c.b.o.y

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Colorado
I love my classic. Been using it for over two years for multiple hours a day. And before that I had my u2 edition video and white video before that! I have no plans on ever stopping using my classic.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
My only gripe is that they all seem to be failing on me. My previous gen stopped working while it was syncing and never turned back on, and I pretty much lost it. But thanks to a loving cousin who came to my rescue.

My last classic stopped playing music out the right channel and I nearly lost it again, but thank goodness it was still under warranty and got it replaced.

But so far, both have been plagued with occasional freezing when plugged in my Mac Mini, in which sometimes I have to force reset.

Weird.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Love my Classic very much so. It's interface is wonderfully simple and much snappier than my previous 5G iPod Video.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I loved mine, it was my first Apple product, and then a delinquent lifted it from my coat pocket on the bus.

The only small sense of satisfaction I have is that I didn't disconnect it properly, so it is unable to sync from any computer but mine until I sync it properly.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I love mine and hope Apple doesn't discontinue it, a lot of people need 80-120GB of storage for their music.

If mine broke today, I'd get a 120 GB asap. I love the clickwheel, too. It serves a purpose for what I want this thing to do, play music and a lot of it. I have my iPhone 4 for apps and video.

I guess I'll have two devices until a 128 GB iPhone 6 comes out.
:D

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I'm still using my 3rd gen "classic" :)

At 20gb, it's not very useful these days, but it still works perfectly and you can't beat the sense of nostalgia

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
I'm still using my 3rd gen "classic" :)

At 20gb, it's not very useful these days, but it still works perfectly and you can't beat the sense of nostalgia

With the red buttons? I had two of those and LOVED them. You've suddenly tempted me to see if i can pick one up cheap...

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I have the 160 GB classic. I wish it was bigger though, as I have hundreds of CD's and I store them all in Lossless format. A Classic with a 256 GB SSD would be awesome.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
I wish they would fill the front panel with a touch screen but keep the same OS, make it 500GB-1TB and make the back Aluminium so it doesn't get scratched!

I love my Classic iPod ;) but since I have the first 160GB iPod I not have headphone control which is a pain in the ass because I wear gloves in the winter! No genius mixes either :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.