PDA

View Full Version : Its strange.. USB mass Storege Question..

stevey500
Jan 22, 2005, 10:38 AM
Why the heck is it that OS/X can read a Fat32 formatted drive.. if its External?? Suck as the iPod or Memory cards formatted in fat32.. But when you plug a fat32 formatted hard drive into your IDE drive and such.. OS/X says its a volume that it Cannot recognize... I just dont get it..

Fukui
Jan 22, 2005, 11:35 AM
Why the heck is it that OS/X can read a Fat32 formatted drive.. if its External?? Suck as the iPod or Memory cards formatted in fat32.. But when you plug a fat32 formatted hard drive into your IDE drive and such.. OS/X says its a volume that it Cannot recognize... I just dont get it..
You mean can't read Fat32? Of course OS X can read fat32!
I'm not sure what is your specific question, but I have a USB memory
stick here that works just fine, and a memory card too.. even the iPod shuffle is fat32 and it works on a mac and windows too with no problems... are you sure your IDE drive is fat32 and not fat16 or even NTFS?? Is it from your PC? Because I did the same thing and put my drive from my PC in my mac and it worked fine...

stevey500
Jan 26, 2005, 07:55 AM
Sorry about the horrible formatting of my post.. :eek: I should have went through it and made sure it was ok before i posted. Yes, I have pulled my drive from my PC, formatted in fat32 with XP installed on it. I wanted to put it in my g4 and copy some files to my panther drive.. But it would not mount my fat32 drive, I dont understand that :confused:

Cuckoo
Jan 26, 2005, 08:18 AM
Can't help you. I've installed FAT32 and NTFS drives in a OSX system. Both worked fine. Although the NTFS was freaking slow, it did work....