Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112435-infinity_blade_screenshot.jpg

Epic's Infinity Blade debuted on the App Store less than a week ago, but it has already become one of the most successful app launches of all time, reportedly grossing over $1.6 million in its first four days on the market.

The estimate comes from Appmodo, who noticed over 271,000 Game Center users registered with the game, and with the game selling for $5.99, the total works out to over $1.6 million in revenue, of which Epic receives 70% while Apple keeps 30%. The totals appear to be even higher than those estimates, however, as Epic's Mark Rein tweeted that actual sales are actually quite bit higher than that suggested from Game Center stats, noting that not every iOS user is on Game Center.

Article Link: 'Infinity Blade' Rakes in Over $1.6 Million

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Add me to the count of those users who have not yet registered for Game Center.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I heard this game was pretty to look at but ultimately boring.
Waiting for some better reviews about the game, or the price to go down...

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

It is more pretty than it is gameplay, but does have some pretty cool multi-touch controls for sword fighting (especially parrying). You will see some better games being released on the same engine. This game reminds me a bit of Soul Calibur but with less special moves and more ability to increase your abilities as you go and instead of various stages, various set fighting points in the citadel as you progress towards the final boss.

For those who don't know, Soul Calibur was a sword-fighting 3-D Street Fighter type game that had a "story mode" and "versus mode". In "story mode" you picked a single character to play and battle your way up to the final boss on various stages. Every character had their own story of why they wanted revenge on the main boss or some reason they had to have the all-powerful sword he possessed. I think it ended badly for all of them, by corrupting them once they obtained the all-powerful sword.

Supposedly the developer is adding a "multiplayer mode". If this is going to be a "versus mode" then I think it will add a whole new dimension to this game and increase the number of hours of gameplay (especially if they add some combo moves).

That said, I have had a hard time putting the game down -- so it must be pretty good (or I am easy to please).

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Thats some good money for just like the first few days of sales

Isn't that always how it is, though? I'm not an App Store developer so, i'm asking, but I kept hearing that while you were in the top 10 spot or if your stuff was popular overall then sales were pretty brisk. Once you drop off the list or the popularity dies down and it becomes much harder to find the game, sales taper off significantly.

Anyone wanna chime in?

thetaylor13

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Work

I personally keep playing it without fail while sitting at work. While I wait for my phone to ring I swipe away!

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Good for them, they did a great job with the graphics, although its a bit choppy at times. Its definitely not my favorite game, but nice to see titles like this coming out. Call of Duty Black Ops please... :)

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
Good for them, they did a great job with the graphics, although its a bit choppy at times. Its definitely not my favorite game, but nice to see titles like this coming out. Call of Duty Black Ops please... :)

Ew no. MW2 would be better and would sell more than BO would. Treyarch ruined another COD game and I can't wait for MW3.

baddseed

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Kill guy A... Get a bag of money... Kill guy B... Get a bag of money... Kill guy C... Get the same sword as last time. Then eventually you get killed by the last guy. Then you start over... Killing the same 8 or so guys. Get more money to buy better armor. No adventure, no exploring, just point to point battles. I guess after fighting the same guys over and over you defeat the guy at the end. I want my 6 bucks back.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2009
This game looks awesome! But I'm having a hard time shelling out $6 for it, at least it will work on my ipad as well. Its amazing how far iPhone games have come

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I like the game, but couldn't give a Dodge, Parry, PARRY BREAK about Game Center, I wish you could delete it and not be bugged about it ever again.

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
It certainly looks the part but as others have said, after using the Epic Citadel 'demo' I expected so much more.
Not sure what was the limiting factor in combining the two?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Very tedious. Like a dumb hot blond. Pretty to look at but boring/tedious to deal with.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Very tedious. Like a dumb hot blond. Pretty to look at but boring/tedious to deal with.

I know what you are trying to say, but let me put in a word for dumb hot blondes. They are easy to underestimate, and every now and again surprise you.

Have you ever had the good fortune to have one even speak to you?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I know what you are trying to say, but let me put in a word for dumb hot blondes. They are easy to underestimate, and every now and again surprise you.

Have you ever had the good fortune to have one even speak to you?

Fortunately (the rare ones that fit your scenario) and unfortunately (the norm)

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
It's a pretty game, and pretty good. Combines the best features of Super KO Boxing, Fruit Ninja and Epic Citadel, with a fun story hook.

I don't find it boring, simply because it starts to get awfully hard.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
I originally found it a slightly dull - but it then starts to get really hard - I love it when that happens as it then feels like a real challenging game. You gotta stick with it - it gets really hard and fun. The graphics and sound are off the scale - unbelieveably amazing

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Which better reviews are you waiting for? It was rated pretty highly on IGN, Engadget, Ars Technica, GamePro, and others... Has a 4.5 average rating out of 5000 ratings on the App store... :confused:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I think I'll wait for the price to come down a few bucks before buying. It will sooner or later.

They must've made at least $2 mil. That's a good amount for a mobile phone game... If anything, it'll just bring more developers over to the iOS system, and that's a win-win!

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007

I have it and yes it's some very pretty eye candy, however after the first couple of fights, you quickly realize it's pretty repetitive and gets boring very fast. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. That's how I feel about this game, you do the same thing over and over again and over again however with the same results. With that said, it will stay on my phone simply as a visual representation to friends as to what the iphone is capable of graphically.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I have it and yes it's some very pretty eye candy, however after the first couple of fights, you quickly realize it's pretty repetitive and gets boring very fast. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. That's how I feel about this game, you do the same thing over and over again and over again however with the same results. With that said, it will stay on my phone simply as a visual representation to friends as to what the iphone is capable of graphically.

It did certainly seem that way in the beginning, but the more time you spend with the game, the more you begin to see that there is a bit more depth. Granted, you're still swiping to parry, tapping to dodge and block, but it gets to the point where you have to read the attacker for what combo is coming, and block/dodge/parry accordingly.

Definitely not the deepest game to ever be released, but it really is more than just a hack-and-slash-fest.

That, and it's flippin' gorgeous.

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
A few bullet points;
1. There are probably more people who don't use Game Center than do. None of my friends are using it.

2. It is no 1 in the Top Grossing chart (here in the UK at least, I would assume same is true in most markets it is being sold), which suggests sales are well above $1.6m

3. People seem to love to report on what an app 'rakes in', but don't seem to take into account what the potential development costs were. Lets say it cost $2m to develop, then the developer would aim to get at least $5m in revenue in the first six month to cover both the development costs and ongoing support. As Apple take 30% of sales, that would mean a min of $7.15m of total sales required. They have probably achieved this already, but we don't know if they spent more or less than $2m in development or what their running costs are!!

Phil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.