Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
On my iBook, Appleworks loads the fastest. On my Cube, however, Appleworks takes a while to fully organize itself. On top of that, on my Cube, Appleworks "stutters" about every minute or so of use.

Specific problems:

Appleworks loads up to the Starting Points menu, then the processor remains busy for about 10 to 15 seconds before Starting Points is fully loaded. When I choose a new document, it takes a while to load. Also, about every minute or so, when I type, select colors, move objects, scale, etc., I have to wait about 2 seconds for my computer to respond, and it goes on for about 10 to 15 seconds. Appleworks 6.2.2 did not do this to me.

I do not have a CD copy of Appleworks 6.2.4, and I am not asking for a copy of Appleworks. I would like to know why Appleworks is lagging on my computer.

G4 Cube
500MHz
OS X 10.1.5
Lots of RAM
Doing "fsck -y", resetting the OF and zapping the PRAM do not help, nor does Norton for that matter.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I know when I used the last two updaters for AppleWorks on Mac OS X, the performance increased dramatically.

Since you did not specify what you're using--it looks like 6.2.3--I would suggest that you update to 6.2.4 and see if that corrects the problem. You should be able to find the updater under http://www.apple.com/software/appleworks/

If that doesn't help or isn't the issue, let me know.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Sorry about the old link and not being of any help.

On my G3/400 with 512 MB of RAM, AppleWorks 6.2.4 works quickly and smoothly.

The only other thing I would try is a defrag, but I seriously don't think that it would help much at all. :(

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
does anyone know if apple plans on releasing anymore updates to appleworks? i know that they are now working on making a native version of openoffice, but i'd like an appleworks update just to hold me over. the program works very well but it still does not take advantage of quartz text and retains all of the interface elements of clarisworks 3.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Something...

If you have installed a lot of fonts (extra ones of course), then that will slow down the boot time of Appleworks, as it is loading all of those fonts into its own "font database" (not a real term, just mine). I have noticed this as well, and the lag is much more in Jaguar than in 10.1.x. I'm not sure how to make it better if there is a way. Maybe someone else knows?

Gus

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
I have about 220 to 230 fonts on my Cube, but only 150 to 200 on my iBook. I heard that fonts are one of the main causes of decreasing computer optimization, especially if you have a lot. I'll get rid the ones I NEVER use and I'll see how it goes.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 2, 2002
I deleted about 60 fonts and that did nothing. I also removed the fonts from the System Folder (OS 9) and it did not help.

I don't think the fonts are the issue here. It has to be something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.