PDA

View Full Version : Mac noob with now "naked" iMacG3700SE having difficulty with wifi

VoidSlaad
Dec 14, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hello again people...I have my little iMac up and running now using OS X Panther...that sure was a painful installation process. Turns out my first installation disk was corrupt...all the locking up and kernel panics.
On subject now...I am having difficulty using my Linksys WUSB600N USB WiFi adapter. System Profiler states that the device is connected to the USB port, I installed the Ralink RT2870 Mac 10.3 drivers as that is the chipset in my adapter and nothing. No lights on start up, no lights plugging in after start up...nothing. The network setup does not show that it is even connected and the System Profiler (under Extensions) states that the driver is not loaded. Help?:confused:

alust2013
Dec 14, 2010, 11:33 PM
Does your adapter require USB 2.0? if so, it may not work with your iMac, as it only has USB 1.1

VoidSlaad
Dec 14, 2010, 11:37 PM
This iMac has USB 1.1...I do not believe that should pose a difficulty...

VoidSlaad
Dec 14, 2010, 11:40 PM
Just checked...no problem...I will not get the same speed as on the wintel machine I am currently using, but stilll backwards compatible with USB 1.1...

California
Dec 14, 2010, 11:41 PM
I believe you have to download the correct driver for your usb airport thing.

Panther would not have those kinds of drivers.

Maybe you tried that but I'd google around

or

if it were me

I'd get the iMac G3 adapter and old time Airport card. They worked very well in the old iMacs. I believe it has an internal antenna inside for better reception.

alust2013
Dec 14, 2010, 11:42 PM
This iMac has USB 1.1...I do not believe that should pose a difficulty...

Well, I'm going to assume that your USB dongle is USB 2.0, unless you dug it up from 10 years back, and where USB 2.0 ports are backwards compatible with USB 1.1 devices, USB 1.1 ports will not likely accept USB 2.0 devices. USB 1.1 also did not provide as much power as 2.0, so that could be the cause of the device not even lighting up.

VoidSlaad
Dec 14, 2010, 11:56 PM
According to this:

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Adapters/WUSB600N-USB-1-1-Compatability/m-p/245878

my adapter is electrically compatible with USB 1.1...yes, my signal range will be reduced, and download speed as well.

Just for fun, here is my "naked" iMac...

VoidSlaad
Dec 15, 2010, 12:30 AM
Okay...I have returned, after being kicked offline...reinstalled my drivers on this wintel, I wonder if switching this adapter back and forth between my two machines (plus the little jolt of electricity about two hours ago...Oh, here is a word to the wise...If you are going to leave a high voltage device plugged in and exposed, be careful...I had almost fried my WiFi dongle when I accidentally touched the corner of the USB plug against the metal heatsink-like piece (near the upper right corner of picture)...there was a brief shower of sparks. Yes, the WiFi adapter still works, I got lucky otherwise I could not be posting right now.)

California
Dec 15, 2010, 01:23 AM
Uh, back in the day there was an article in MacWorld or something about the

DANGER OF IMAC G3's.

Yes, the physical danger of opening them up as you have.

Like, you could kill yourself on the latent electricity stored in the cathode ray tube of the CRT,

EVEN WHEN THEY ARE NOT PLUGGED IN.

SO PUT THE TOP BACK ON IT AND BE SAFE BUCKO.

VoidSlaad
Dec 15, 2010, 08:24 AM
Here is an article from LowEndMac:

http://lowendmac.com/tech/crt_danger.html

Plus, I already know quite a bit about electrical systems...I have electronics training...

occams razor
Dec 15, 2010, 10:54 AM
I have electronics training too. It's called getting the **** shocked out of you on a weekly basis! That's reason two why the ladies refer to me as "the shocker" lol

VoidSlaad
Dec 15, 2010, 11:11 AM
I usually do not electrocute myself...I worry about my components! Cannot afford to fry my toys...:D

joepunk
Dec 15, 2010, 09:05 PM
Ah, nice lowendmac article on the warnings.

I got a nice blue shock from an old powerbook power adapter near the little copper coloured metal plug thingy which was stripped of it's metal in places. Nasty and I was waiting on its replacement to come from the mail folks.

VoidSlaad
Dec 15, 2010, 09:17 PM
Okay...I have decided to "clothe" my iMac back in its Graphite shell, mainly because it is a little close to my bed and I would not like to be JOLTED out of my sleep...and I might as well keep it intact until I am done with it...