PDA

View Full Version : ibook g3 a1007 seems dead

stuntmaster
Dec 15, 2010, 03:52 AM
A friend gave me one of these, said he didn't test it.

i tested it but have observed the following:

ring on PSU plug illuminates fine, was orange but now greed thus battery charges ok.
battery button works too, pressing that initially showed 1 dot, now shows 4. charge ok and accepted.

pressing the power button though, i hear the fan spin for 1 sec, the disk and the cd drive click in, but no chime and nothing on the display.

no response nothing, a hard reset (hold power) turns it off.

I did the PMU reset, and the pmu did do a reset, but nothing. I also did the PRAM, and again nothing.

I am suspecting a faulty logic board, I hope i can get this going as aesthetically it's in good condition.

For the info it appears to be an iBook G3 model A1007, If you need any more info then give me a shout.

OrangeSVTguy
Dec 15, 2010, 06:51 PM
Flip it upside down and near the battery release mechanism just to the right of the battery, press firmly down into the plastic. Now see if it boots up :)

These are notorious for their faulty GPUs and over time the chips would separate from the logic board. Applying pressure seats the solder ball joints back together allowing the iBook to work again. You can also put a "shim" on the inside to keep pressure on that GPU chip. This will only work for so long. You could also always try a heat gun and try to reflow the solder.

stuntmaster
Dec 16, 2010, 06:04 AM
Flip it upside down and near the battery release mechanism just to the right of the battery, press firmly down into the plastic. Now see if it boots up :)

These are notorious for their faulty GPUs and over time the chips would separate from the logic board. Applying pressure seats the solder ball joints back together allowing the iBook to work again. You can also put a "shim" on the inside to keep pressure on that GPU chip. This will only work for so long. You could also always try a heat gun and try to reflow the solder.

pressure applied, nothing, but will get a heat gun on it though. seems as though that's what it is.

cheers for the help.