Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I need an interface for my iMac. Would it be better to get a firewire or a usb interface? Recommendations on which one to buy as well please!

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
I'd analyse what you want to do with it, then match the specs to the task. I bought an M-Audio Fastrack Pro that matches your specs, but it's for recording demos; when we record "properly" we use my friends M-Audio Profire 610, which is twice as expensive, but has a much higher sampling rate, so we capture the guitar sounds in more detail. It also has a lot more inputs and outputs, and the pre-amps are very highly respected for an interface still in the "hobbyist" price range.

If you want to jam/mess around, the Fastrack would do fine, but for more detailed recording, or more instruments, something further up the scale like the Profire might be better.

As for FW/USB, I don't think there's that much in it. FW can handle a little more data (in theory) but - at least with the Profire - you have to reboot your Mac when you connect it, which is a pain. The USB Fastrack is just plug-and-play, which is great for when you get an idea you want to record quickly.

Hope that helps.

rema

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
You could also look at the AudioBox by Pesonus

Its USB has midi in and out as well as two Mic/Ins inputs

seems to do the job, the price seems decent and its solid, there
promo video is it being run over by a truck and working after.

Its class complaint so it doesn't need any drivers and is essentially
plug and play. Mines connected to a nearly 4 year old iMac running slow leopard.

There are quiet a few to chose from so it depends on your budget

dwwave

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2004
re: Interface with Midi and 2-4 inputs

? do You mean 2-4 Pre-amps? and also do You need High-Z (Guitar-Bass)

I bought a new Imac and my USB 1.1 Tascam US-122 has no Snow Leopard Drivers (see the 4+ page thread on that unit)

I decided againt using-trying a Powered USB hub as its USB 1.1 anyway

I decided to go Firewire though USB 2.0 is o.k as well

Do plenty pf research and make a list of what You need to plug in, etc

I looked a Focustrite Saffire (both USB and FW) Lexicon US42S USB 2.0)

T.C.Electronic Impact Twin, Mackie (FW and USB) and also Presonus FW

I ordered a T.C.Electronic Impact Twin and its due to arrive 12-28-10

I took my time , it has two combo XLR-1/4 ins (both high Z) Spdif/midi in-out

1/4 ins and outs and also ADAT in-out (which allows future tinking to add on 8 preamps (if needed) I looked at Mixers with FW and USB in but most lacked MIDI, I read the forums on each web site and not company website

and the drivers for T.C Electronic are strong and historically they are proactive with updates (with Mac's and OSX 10.6.5 now (I am running 10.6.4)

can be a pain for develpers as Windows does not change as frequently,
I ruled out companies step by step due to various issues though I think they all were overall very good, Apogee I did not feel their $ met the product and RME was out of my $ range
There is alot out there and do due dilegence as now return policies are tight as any software that comes with a audio interface can cause return issues
(was not always like that but piracy changed things)
best of luck

Use the web and there is tons of info

ambienttales
:):apple:;):rolleyes:

BlackJack325

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2010
Thanks for starting this thread, im looking for the same thing.

A simple interface with atleast 1XLR w/phantom power and 1 hi-z input to plug in my guitar. Looking to buy a keystation as well to take advantage of those garageband instruments.

For me, this small interface will be temporary and to mess around with. But I still want as much audio quality as I can get for the money.

Im looking into the PreSonus AudioBox and the M-Audio fast track pro.
The M-audio's 24-bit/96kHz capability is looking better than the Presonus unit @ 24-bit/48Khz.
Is $50 more worth the extra sampling rate? I think so.
Anyone else?

Musicians friend has the Presonus Audio box for $149 and the M-Audio Fast track pro for $199

arnoldjack

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for sharing that information. I would suggest you get the USB audio interface. The FOCUSRITE Saffire 6 USB ports is a 2 in / 4 out USB audio interface. It uses the same winning FOCUSRITE mic preamps as well as the rest of the series Saffire. This makes it the best price and best sounding interface in its class. Configuring the output is also ideal for laptop DJs.

BlackJack325

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2010
Thanks for sharing that information. I would suggest you get the USB audio interface. The FOCUSRITE Saffire 6 USB ports is a 2 in / 4 out USB audio interface. It uses the same winning FOCUSRITE mic preamps as well as the rest of the series Saffire. This makes it the best price and best sounding interface in its class. Configuring the output is also ideal for laptop DJs.

Are you a Focusrite employee? lol you just quoted the description from their sales add hahaha

happle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for starting this thread, im looking for the same thing.

A simple interface with atleast 1XLR w/phantom power and 1 hi-z input to plug in my guitar. Looking to buy a keystation as well to take advantage of those garageband instruments.

For me, this small interface will be temporary and to mess around with. But I still want as much audio quality as I can get for the money.

Im looking into the PreSonus AudioBox and the M-Audio fast track pro.
The M-audio's 24-bit/96kHz capability is looking better than the Presonus unit @ 24-bit/48Khz.
Is $50 more worth the extra sampling rate? I think so.
Anyone else?

Musicians friend has the Presonus Audio box for $149 and the M-Audio Fast track pro for $199

the human ear cannot hear the difference between 48 and 96khz so it wont make a difference. plus 48khz will be more efficient as far as your cpu goes.

id say def get the audiobox over the fast track pro. but the saffire 6 over both. im getting either the saffire 6 or the audiobox. most likely the saffire 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.