Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GleepGlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Hey guys, just got a maxed 13 MBA and digging it hugely. I got it as a "desktop replacement" (term has so much baggage). I know the usual disclaimers about gaming but I only really play WoW or some low intensive games, which run quite well. Anyway when I play WoW (clamshell) the fan really blares. This could just be me noticing because I don't think it ever else turns on. Do you think heat is a long term concern and I should get something like a laptop cooler under it, or F it because of applecare/its not a big deal etc?

GleepGlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Or just don't play in clamshell mode. Problem solved.

I've done it in both, I didn't realize there's a difference. Is it from venting? Regardless, should I get a laptop cooler or not worry about the fan going longterm? ty in advance

zstar

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
I've done it in both, I didn't realize there's a difference. Is it from venting? Regardless, should I get a laptop cooler or not worry about the fan going longterm? ty in advance

Are you seriously asking if you should get a laptop cooler? If you are so worried about the overheating issue in the first place you should already have gotten one and thus answered your own question.

A laptop cooler is noticeably less expensive than an uncovered applecare repair or even the price of applecare itself.

GleepGlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
damn dude, calm down, hah. I played it for 20 minutes then came here to ask. I think I'm being a diligent tech consumer.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Knight has a reputation for being curt sometimes. That said, if you notice it in clamshell but not otherwise, then try running it with the lid open. I believe it vents both through the back, and the keyboard, so it could make a difference.

Does the machine itself get hot? Do you have any utilities to track the temperature?

GleepGlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Knight has a reputation for being curt sometimes. That said, if you notice it in clamshell but not otherwise, then try running it with the lid open. I believe it vents both through the back, and the keyboard, so it could make a difference.

Does the machine itself get hot? Do you have any utilities to track the temperature?

yes it seems like its getting hot, I'm a new mac user so not familiar with software that will display cpu temp while WoW is running if you could recommend anything

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
make sure to open the lid

make sure to open the lid, after getting everything set up in clamshell mode.

This reduces temperatures quite a bit.

Check it out in Istat, to confirm.

GleepGlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
What would you guys say is the max temperature I should look out for for long term health?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
make sure to open the lid, after getting everything set up in clamshell mode.

Why go through the trouble of setting up clamshell mode and then opening up the laptop ? Just don't use clamshell mode in the first place, you get the added advantage of having 2 monitors. There's a bit of venting through the keyboard, clamshell is always hotter for Macs.

That being said, the computer will shut itself off once the temperature sensors hit a certain treshold, so if it doesn't shut itself off, you're gold.

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
Why go through the trouble of setting up clamshell mode and then opening up the laptop ? Just don't use clamshell mode in the first place, you get the added advantage of having 2 monitors. There's a bit of venting through the keyboard, clamshell is always hotter for Macs.

Using a notebook screen and an external screen is distracting to me, because of the different respective dots per inch (DPI).

With one external screen, you can save a little energy.

Lastly, with one external screen, all available video memory is allocated to that display.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
If I were going to play games on my MBA for long periods of time I would get a cooler to place the air on.

GleepGlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
i ended up going with the zalman 13 inch aluminum cooler with usb ports, ill let you guys know how it works out. Maybe will see if there is a different temperature after 20 minutes of wow with the cooler vs. MBA just on the desk.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
or F it because of applecare/its not a big deal etc?

Well, i would never recommend ***** your laptop. Then you will be asking how to clean the keyboard! :p

On a serious note, buying a cooler was the best thing to do. Its not bad to hear the fan because the mba packs everything into such a small place it's bound to get hot in there. as previously stated, i would install istat, a dashboard widget and monitor your temps occasionally. I'm 90% sure the intels will shut down at like 205-210f. you wont be near those temps.

If you need help with using istat or anything let me know.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Using a notebook screen and an external screen is distracting to me, because of the different respective dots per inch (DPI).

Irrelevant if it displays independant apps. For WoW, you can use the 2nd screen for iTunes or Vent. Much better than tabbing out.

With one external screen, you can save a little energy.

Irrelevant, clamshell mode requires a power connection IIRC.

Lastly, with one external screen, all available video memory is allocated to that display.

No impact on performance The amount of memory to drive the laptop's LCD display is negligable. Close an open tab in Firefox.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
I've had my MBP get up to 105*C when running WoW, and the computer showed no signs of shutting down... ended up installing smcFanControl to manually set the fans higher before I launched WoW. After a few weeks of careful monitoring w/ iStat Menus, I noticed the fans turning on automatically earlier, so I stopped using sFC.

I know it's a different system, but they're both C2D based. Bottom line, these processors can handle getting HOT.

I played WoW 8 hours daily on a Black Macbook for 2 years straight, with the CPU temp averaging between 75 and 90*C and never had a problem with parts failing. Not one single repair on that computer. Sold that system to a friend, and it's still going strong. Never used a cooling pad.

Moral of the story, it's a computer... a tool. Use it as you will and don't stress. I stressed SO MUCH about temps only to realize, that it's a waste. Just play and be merry. :)

P.S. I should also note every one of these systems mentioned have had thick silicon keyboard covers on the keyboard at ALL TIMES. I didn't remove them because the ventilation difference was negligible.

Last edited:

zstar

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
damn dude, calm down, hah. I played it for 20 minutes then came here to ask. I think I'm being a diligent tech consumer.

I do truly apologize for appearing rude or however you saw my previous post. I guess I was just asking a straight, rhetorical question and looking back realised it could have been seen as tad too serious a statement. Just imagine me asking it in a joking manner and you will see how I meant to phrase my previous post. :p

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
It sounds like your best option is a laptop cooler. I need to get one for my 17" MBP just because it runs so darn hot. I don't think it NEEDS it, but there are times (like now, typing this message on it) that my left hand is getting quite warm.

BTW thanks for the tip on i-stat, what a GREAT little widget!! I put it on both the MBP and MBA. Awesome info.

I've had the fan on my 11" MBA screaming before. I had VirtualBox running and it tens to suck up a lot of CPU sometimes, and so it was pegging one of the cores and I had other stuff running using a lot of the other core, so yeah, it was getting hot. Once I paused VirtualBox, the fan noise went away in a couple of minutes.

Rob

potentpotable

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I've played DoD:S for six hours straight before (and generally, for hours at a time), and the fan gets crazy loud running at max RPM. I think the CPU gets up to ~75ºC, too.

As long as you're plugged in, you should be fine.

ForumTroll

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
Irrelevant if it displays independant apps. For WoW, you can use the 2nd screen for iTunes or Vent. Much better than tabbing out.

Irrelevant, clamshell mode requires a power connection IIRC.

No impact on performance The amount of memory to drive the laptop's LCD display is negligable. Close an open tab in Firefox.

The 2nd screen is totally useless. Why would you play WoW in full screen? You can have vent just beside your windowed WoW. Problem solved.

It is very relevant. Maybe the electric bill cost you almost nothing for you, but here, we try to save as much as possible. Every little bit count.

It does have an impact on performance. It's the cost of having another addons enabled while playing.

GleepGlop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
thanks for the tips guys. I guess the thing I'm worried about long term is not necessarily too much heat blowing out the processor but the fan dying from lots of use, or to be frank (or paranoid) an effect on the slim case from heat.

total mac newb question: how come command-tab works to tab through programs on the desktop but nothing happens when I do it in wow? how do you tab through programs with a full screen game up?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Immersion? You must be a RP players. :eek:

Nope, I was a PVP player. It's just nice not having tons of disctractions on the same screen you're playing on, yet not have to tab-out to change vent servers or see the list of players.

Not to mention it has close to no impact on power consumption or performance contrary to your claims. Dual screens are a godsend, if just to see my playlist in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.