Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I recently purchased a zagg invisible shield from the greatest place on earth.. Best Buy... NOT!!!!! Anyway I had them install the all mighty protection for the front of my 4, thinking... Oh they do it all the time so it should turn out great! Yeah right!!!!! Well I'm not that picky of a human being, so I just roll with it. Anyway I have had it on there for a week now and it just seems tacky, sticky, thick! Is it suppose to be like this? This is a first for me. I've never used protection but want to keep my 4 looking crisp at all times, but this shield sux in my opinion. Could it have been installed incorrectly? Should I send it back and get a replacement, with there so called lifetime warranty.. Or you guys suggest a better screen protector? Anyway thanks fellas!!

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
That's just how those protectors are.

You need to look into PowerSupport products as they are completely smooth and simple to install. I have crystal films on the front and back and you cant even notice theyre there.

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I had one on my iPhone for about a month. Yes, it "dries out" a little but not enough for my tastes. The tacky feel drove me nuts so I got an SGP Crystal shield and haven't looked back. The SGP will build up small scratches over time and need replacing, but I'd rather have a screen protector that feels like bare glass to my fingers.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
ZAGG sucks period. Go with another brand like SGP. Used ZAGG once and will never use their products again.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I recently purchased a zagg invisible shield from the greatest place on earth.. Best Buy... NOT!!!!! Anyway I had them install the all mighty protection for the front of my 4, thinking... Oh they do it all the time so it should turn out great! Yeah right!!!!! Well I'm not that picky of a human being, so I just roll with it. Anyway I have had it on there for a week now and it just seems tacky, sticky, thick! Is it suppose to be like this? This is a first for me. I've never used protection but want to keep my 4 looking crisp at all times, but this shield sux in my opinion. Could it have been installed incorrectly? Should I send it back and get a replacement, with there so called lifetime warranty.. Or you guys suggest a better screen protector? Anyway thanks fellas!!

That's just the way Zagg shields are. Some (like myself) don't mind it, especially with the extra protection that the Zagg shields offer. Others can't get past it and prefer using other products, such as BSE.

I will just say this about the Zagg shields, after about a week or so (i.e., once the screen protector cures on the device) you start to notice it less and less until you get to the point where you don't even notice it all.

Sallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I put one on and it lasted two days before i took it off i could not getuse to the feel of it.

Yeah thats my problem! Can't get use to the feel. I like the bare glass feel. Thanks fellas. I will definitely look into the other you suggested!!

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah thats my problem! Can't get use to the feel. I like the bare glass feel. Thanks fellas. I will definitely look into the other you suggested!!

Who doesn't prefer the bare feeling over that of protection?

:D

Seriously, though, I ordered cheap screen protectors from amazon, a 3 pack for under $10, and they're smooth, not tacky, and feel like the plain glass. The only problem is fingerprints, which still come off fairly easily.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Powersupport has the best crystal screen protectors. Works great and most people don't even know I have it on. Their customer support is really great too.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Agreed

ZAGG sucks period. Go with another brand like SGP. Used ZAGG once and will never use their products again.

Why its the best selling protector is beyond me. Just about every store carries it now. The screen doesn't look smooth anymore, the tacky sticky feel never goes away. It attracts dust and lint like a magnet. You wipe it on a clean cloth and more dust just moves around and sticks back on. Took it off and will replace with SGP or PS clear. What a piece of junk for 30 dollars!!!

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Who doesn't prefer the bare feeling over that of protection?

:D

Seriously, though, I ordered cheap screen protectors from amazon, a 3 pack for under $10, and they're smooth, not tacky, and feel like the plain glass. The only problem is fingerprints, which still come off fairly easily.

Monoprice has front and back protecters for $2 for each set if you need cheap alternatives that work.

To fix the tackiness of the Zagg, I got some screen cleaner and sprayed the living crap out of a throwaway micro fiber. Then I cleaned the screen. I did this for 3 days straight (after it fully dried).

Felt a little smoother and a lot less sticky afterward. (That's what she said, am I right?)

Neoaucourant

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2010
Powersupport has the best crystal screen protectors. Works great and most people don't even know I have it on. Their customer support is really great too.

I agree, PS makes some nice screen protectors. I am currently using the PS Anti-Glare and love it. I was using ZAGG when I first purchased my iPhone 4 and hated the feel and look of it.

obyte

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Boston
I never got the love for ZAGG stuff. I think it's just due to the fact that they were some of the 'first' and have a big retail market established.

There are MANY better options out there that people have mentioned. I wish Zagg would get away from their vinyl style wet applications and change materials. SGP/PowerSupport/Wrapsol all make great stuff

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.