Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
So I dropped my MacBook a few weeks ago. I've had it for four years and this is the first time, but, oh well.

When I picked it up, I had the little beach ball thing and it was unresponsive (at this point, I'm thinking "how can I turn this into a new MacBook Pro?"). I reset it and everything's working fine (probably that motion sensor thing).

Anyway, it seems to be running a little hotter than normal and the screen doesn't close like it used to. Nothing appears to be broken on the outside, but I'm a little concerned that something may be loose on the inside. Can I take this to an Apple Store and have them open it up and look at it to make sure everything's ok? I can probably do this myself as I'm not scared to mess about inside computers, but would rather have them do it, if there's no charge.

Any other suggestions to look out for?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can I take this to an Apple Store and have them open it up and look at it to make sure everything's ok?
You can take it to them, but there will be a charge, since it's not under warranty and warranty wouldn't cover accidental damage, anyway. Install iStat Pro to monitor your temps, but it should shut down if it gets too hot.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
You can take it to them, but there will be a charge, since it's not under warranty and warranty wouldn't cover accidental damage, anyway. Install iStat Pro to monitor your temps, but it should shut down if it gets too hot.

Thanks. I was just hoping they could maybe open it, say everything looks fine, and close it up without a charge. I have iStat Pro and everything looks fine, just seems the fans are running more than normal. Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, and I guess as the years go on, they seem to be running more than they used to.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I know, old thread and all....

but I was wondering if I'd be able to open this up and look to see if there's anything going on myself. Sometimes I hear clicking noises, like a fan is hitting a piece of plastic and the Superdrive makes a sound like it's ejecting a disc.

I've built PCs in the past, but never have really messed with a laptop. I'm not scared to, just wondering if looking around inside is user friendly.

Oh, my screen feels a bit loose, but I don't really want to mess with taking that apart. I can handle screws, but this looks like it's either glued together or has little snappy things inside.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
At best a fan has been dislodged. At worst, the hard drive is shot. Ifixit.com has teardown guys for most Macs. Apple didn't design the MB a walk in the park. Give yourself plenty of space and time to work on your machine.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
At best a fan has been dislodged. At worst, the hard drive is shot.

Considering the OP has been using it for a few months since the drop, I imagine the HDD is not shot ;)

The MBs aren't too hard to open up. As Tailpike said, iFixit.com is a great resource. Get lots of little containers to hold all the different screws (or print out the guide and tape the screws to the steps they go with). The screen bezel you shouldn't have to take apart, if something is wrong with the hinge it'll be in the body of the MB most likely.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Definitely open it up, especially if you have some experience working with PC components.
Some of the screws that hold the screen hinges in place may have become loose.

b64a9ad75b3886e4246e67c7fd23439f.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.