PDA

View Full Version : Can apple upgrade my PB 12" HDD?

hob
Jan 22, 2005, 07:54 PM
Hey, I was wondering - could I stroll into the Apple Store at some point and say, could you put a bigger HDD in here please? (It's still under AppleCare, but I realise I'd have to pay at least for the drive if not the labour too...)

My 40GB HDD doesn't cut it anymore... also, whilst looking into this, I found I couldn't tell how fast my current hard disk (http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/Index.asp?page=PCI&nav=ISH_PRS&frame=content&model=MK4021GAS) is.

Anyway, so yeah - is it doable? I've 19.44GBs of music that I like/want to carry round on my PB rather than have shunted onto my Ext. FW Drive...

Hob

P.S - My current HDD (the toshiba) is actually my 2nd HDD in this powerbook, the first one was a Matsui or something... anyway - for some reason the Hard Drive AND the RAM all decided to crash out one day, so they were replaced by the Square Group in London...

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 22, 2005, 09:05 PM
Your drive is a 4200rpm HDD. They should be able to do the swap, but you are looking at 1 1/2 to 2 hours of labor at $75 or $85. Not to mention that Apple will probably charge a ton of money for their "replacement" drives.

You might want to look at something like the Lacie Mobile HDD's. I have the 40gb FW version and it is sweet and small.

d_p
Jan 22, 2005, 09:13 PM
I ordered an 80GB drive from OWC and installed it myself in my 12" PB. I used the info found here: http://pbfixit.com/Guide/. I probably voided my any warranty that I had, but I never wanted Applecare anyway.

dan

hob
Jan 22, 2005, 09:14 PM
Your drive is a 4200rpm HDD. They should be able to do the swap, but you are looking at 1 1/2 to 2 hours of labor at $75 or $85. Not to mention that Apple will probably charge a ton of money for their "replacement" drives.

You might want to look at something like the Lacie Mobile HDD's. I have the 40gb FW version and it is sweet and small.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll drop in and see what they say.

Would it really take more than an hour?! I know there's a hellavalotta screws, but still... hmmm...

I'll report back!

Hob

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 22, 2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I'll drop in and see what they say.

Would it really take more than an hour?! I know there's a hellavalotta screws, but still... hmmm...

I'll report back!

Hob

The quotes I gave came from an independent Apple shop. So I will be interested in hearing what Apple themselves say.

RiseAgainst
Jan 23, 2005, 12:57 AM
You'll have to find someone to install it. Apple will not install or upgrade a HDD ever, even in desktops. (Except for service parts of coarse)

hob
Jan 23, 2005, 01:26 AM
You'll have to find someone to install it. Apple will not install or upgrade a HDD ever, even in desktops. (Except for service parts of coarse)
So if I go to an authorised retailer and ask them to do it, will I void my warranty?

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 23, 2005, 01:30 AM
So if I go to an authorised retailer and ask them to do it, will I void my warranty?

That will not void your warranty.